[comp.text.tex] Sideways printing from LaTeX/TeX

lawley@cs.mu.OZ.AU (michael lawley) (11/18/90)

I have tables which are too wide to fit across an A4 page so I'd like to
print them sideways on the page.  Is there any way to do this from within
LaTeX/TeX?  ie something like \begin{rottable} ... \end{rottable} or, more
generically, \begin{rotate}[90] \begin{table} ... \end{table} \end{rotate}.

Please email responses since I don't read this newsgroup.  I will summarise
any responses.

mike
--
 _--_|\		michael lawley (lawley@cs.mu.OZ.AU).
/      \	The Unicycling Systems Programmer,

lawley@cs.mu.OZ.AU (michael lawley) (11/19/90)

Thanks to Rich Kaul, Brian Denehy & Isaac Balbin for their responses.  It is
both possible and quite straightforward.  Here is a complete example...

------------------cut here---------------
\documentstyle{article}
\begin{document}

% Set things up
% Input rotate macros to rotate tables by 90 degrees
\input{rotate}
% Input epsf macros for including PostScript graphics
\input{epsf}
% Redefine scaling macro so that horizontal scaling is done automatically
\def\epsfsize#1#2{\ifnum#1>\hsize\hsize\else#1\fi}

% Table(s) follow

\begin{table}
  \caption{SPICE model parameters}
  \centerline{
    \setbox0=\hbox{
    \begin{tabular}{|c|l|}				\hline
      {\bf SPICE}	&				\\
      {\bf keyword}	& {\bf Parameter description}	\\ \hline \hline
      LEVEL		& model index			\\ \hline
      NSUB		& substrate doping		\\ \hline
    \end{tabular}}
  \rotl{0}
  }
\end{table}

\end{document}
--

idall@augean.ua.OZ.AU (Ian Dall) (11/20/90)

In article <LAWLEY.90Nov19111933@muse.cs.mu.OZ.AU> lawley@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU writes:
>Thanks to Rich Kaul, Brian Denehy & Isaac Balbin for their responses.  It is
>both possible and quite straightforward.  Here is a complete example...

OK. So where does one get rotate.tex and epsf.tex from?  I presume
this involves some form of postscript magic to do the actual rotation,
and some form of tex magic to ensure the correct amount of space is
taken up. So is it specific to a particular dvi to ps converter and
if so which one? Is it compatable with psfig method of inserting
figures? If not, does anyone no a way of rotating boxes in a dvi2ps
and psfig compatable way?

--
 Ian Dall           life (n). A sexually transmitted disease which afflicts
                              some people more severely than others.