[comp.text.tex] Converting TeX/LaTeX to/from desktop publishing formats

smg@eedsp.eedsp.gatech.edu (Stephen McGrath) (11/03/90)

We at the DSP Lab in the Georgia Institute of Technology are trying
to decide which direction to take for our future desktop publishing
needs. We have a heavy investment in and commitment to LaTeX, which
has served us very well for the past five years. However, the commercial
desktop publishing / word processing packages which are emerging are
incorporating more and more of the features which we have been continually
struggling to accomodate within the LaTeX system, particularly WYSIWYG
(including equations and included graphics)
and an easy and consistent means of including graphics from various
sources in our documents. We would like to equip our secretaries with
new desktop publishing systems, but maintain compatibility with the
existing LaTeX environment - most of the students and faculty with
machines at home will continue to use latex for document production.

An appealing solution would be a setup wherein we could use a new
publishing package (such as Ventura Publisher, FrameMaker, PageMaker,
Microsoft Word) or LaTeX as the need arose, with the ability to
convert back and forth between the new document format and TeX/LaTeX.
If anyone has a setup similar to this, or knows of mechanisms to
convert between LaTeX and one of the above (or other) publishing system
formats, I would be very grateful for shared information, experiences,
tips, warnings, etc. We have not yet settled on the publishing system
or platform (DOS PC or UNIX workstation), so experiences from either
of these environments or concerning any publishing system would be
welcome, as would recommendations for publishing packages for
engineering/matematical documents.

Thank you.

-Stephen McGrath.

--
Stephen McGrath                        School of Electrical Engineering,
smg@eedsp.gatech.edu                   Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332

park@anmsd3.msd.anl.gov (Yongsup Park) (11/06/90)

In article <1371@eedsp.eedsp.gatech.edu>, smg@eedsp.eedsp.gatech.edu
(Stephen McGrath) writes...
>If anyone has a setup similar to this, or knows of mechanisms to
>convert between LaTeX and one of the above (or other) publishing system
>formats, I would be very grateful for shared information, experiences,
>tips, warnings, etc. We have not yet settled on the publishing system
>or platform (DOS PC or UNIX workstation), so experiences from either

>Thank you.

>-Stephen McGrath.

Please post if anyone have any information regarding this.
I need to convert LaTeX/TeX format to MS Word on Mac platform.

Thanks in advance.
            Yongsup Park           Internet :  park@anmsd3.msd.anl.gov
                                   BITnet   :  B40180@ANLCV1.BITNET
                  Life is short: Do not resist temptation.

smg@eedsp.eedsp.gatech.edu (Stephen McGrath) (11/22/90)

Several weeks ago I posted a request for information on means of
converting between TeX/LaTeX and other word processing/desktop publishing
formats. Most of the replies I received were requests to pass on any
information I came up with; it seems a lot of people are struggling
with the same problem. Here follows a summary of the more informative
replies I received; thanks to all who replied.

-Stephen

From: "Halvorson,Peter J" <ne201ph@prism.gatech.edu>

I don't know about converting formats but I'd stick to LaTeX.  I've been using
it on a SPARCstation for a year now, and have found nothing to match it.  I
have had no trouble creating and including graphics in my papers.

A workstation seems to be the perfect machine for Latex they have
multitasking, multiple windows ( text editor, previewer, spell checker, ...),
and excellent free software ( which also means free upgrades) such as fig
(a drawing program), ispell ( a spell checker), half a dozen screen previewers
( on most workstations you can get a semi-legible full page), gnuplot
( data plotting program), gnuemacs ( the best text editor), point and
click/ user friendly editors also, and pbmplus ( convert various graphic
formats).  You can also use a home computer to log into a workstation at
school, and only have to keep one set of files.  You can get a 15 MIPS,
megapixel, 8 Mbyte memory workstation for $3000 - $4000 ( Sun and NeXT).
You can get a file server, and add disks at $2000 per 660 Mbytes.  Having
tape drives, hard drives, and printers shared by all the workstations is
trivial.  Aside from the publishing, there is a lot you can do with a
good workstation, number crunching ( these will give you answer sooner than
a lightly loaded nve1), programming, worldwide email.  The NeXT machines
include a lot of valuable software for free, such as Mathematica, Improv
( an excellent Lotus spreadsheet, free until the end of 1990), Webster's
online dictionary and thesaurus, and a lot of other software.  You can also
mix and match your workstations, they will work together.

If you want to try FrameMaker, you can go down to the Rich building.  It is
supposed to be a typical to good DTP program.  I find it very hard to work
with, to me, it's much easier to manipulate an ASCII source file than a
WYSIWYG display.  The only extra feature of maker is that is can do a
better job of placing figures wherever you want, and wrapping text about
them.

Disclaimer:  I'm very enthusiatic about workstations.  I've had one on my desk
for a year and love it.  The department has 5, and is planning to get a
couple SPARC 2's ( 25 MIPS) and a NeXT ( maybe with the 32 bit graphics
accelerator).

From: barry%reed.BITNET@VM1.gatech.edu

 re your query about Latex compatibility with DTP systems:

 our Textures system (Macintosh, sorry!) is a complete TeX (and yes, Latex)
 system that allows import of pictures or graphics from other Mac applications
 AND export of finished pages or type to Adobe Illustrator, PageMaker, Quark
 Xpress, etc.

 If the Mac hasn't been ruled out of your consideration, you might give us
 a call...

From: Hsin-Kung Chuang <chuang@mem.odu.edu>

I think  The Publisher of ArborText, Inc., Ann Arbor, Michigan is the
answer.  In can accept TeX and LaTeX as inputs without any conversion if
one does not want to use the normal WYSIWYG mode.  It has tools similar
to MacDraw and MacPaint.  Figures can be included easily.  Images on
the screen can be captured and put into documents.  I have not seen
many desktop publishing packages, but I think the Publisher is most
suitable for communities with large TeX and/or LaTeX users.  After all,
ArborText is one of the vendors which sell TeX previewers and dvi
converters.  The Publisher does come with a LaTeX (and TeX?) converter,
but it does not do a good job, one may need to add a lot of macros to
have a complete conversion.

I know it runs on Sunview and X-Window, that means it covers almost all
kinds of UNIX workstations.  For information on other platforms, you
probably have to get it from the company directly.

I hope the information is useful to you.

Andrew Chuang

From: mark@motown.altair.fr

Please post a summary of what you get on this topic, as I'm sure there
is lots of interest.

Our own experience is with The Publisher from Arbortext.  We chose it
precisely because it generates LaTeX-compatible output and can accept
LaTeX files as input, which it converts to its internal format via
SGML.  We were somewhat disappointed with the long learning curve that
The Publisher seems to impose on new users, but once over that, we are
generally pleased with the results.

The Publisher is not really WYSIWYG; rather it replaces the cryptic
LaTeX formatting commands with buttons in the text.  It uses an
xdvi-like previewer to show you what the page will look like.
Entering graphics or mathematical formulae is done with Arbortext's
own utilities, which gives you LaTeX's first-rate page formatting
without having to learn LaTeX.  Error messages tend to resemble those
from LaTeX, so that your LaTeX hackers will be likely to understand
Publisher problems pretty quickly.

We use The Publisher mostly for articles and short documents; I can't
comment on how it would handle a major book-length manual, for
example.

From: Arthur van Horck <horck@kub.nl>

I would very much apreciate you forwarding any relevant information to
me as well: we're struggling with the same problem...

The only filter package I know of (Filtrix, by Blueberry), that runs
on Suns under SunView, does not include TeX/LaTeX as one of the
convert to/from options (which is a nust). Neither is it available
under X-windows, which would be an asset.

Thanks in advance,
Arthur van Horck