[comp.text.tex] Problems with Beebe's DVI driver for the DeskJet

gustav@tharr.UUCP (Paul Moore) (11/22/90)

I am having a problem using the Beebe DVI drivers to print documents
generated using the Gnu Texinfo format. The problem is that Texinfo uses
cm 10-point fonts scaled 1315, and the drivers only support a fixed set
of magnifications (magsteps -8 to +8, at 1/2 magstep intervals). So that
the drivers cannot print these documents properly. I have tried to fix
this, by adding the required factors to the array of supported
magnifications, but for some reason it didn't work...

Can anybody help with this? I'd really like a DVI driver better than the
one I'm using at the moment, but I have a lot of Texinfo documents which
I need to be able to process.

I am using a fairly old set of Beebe sources (version 2.07, I think) but
before I try getting the latest versions, I would prefer to have some
confirmation that the problem is cured...

As an alternative, can anybody point me towards the sources for a DVI
driver for the HP DeskJet 500 (or anything compatible, such as the
DeskJet plus, or LaserJet-series printers), which would support this.

While I'm on the subject, do the later versions of the Beebe drivers
support virtual fonts, or is there a DeskJet driver which does?

Thanks for your help,
Gustav.
--
/----------------------------------------------------------------\
| Paul Moore              E-Mail:    ...!ukc!tharr!gustav        |

kirkaas@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (paul kirkaas) (11/23/90)

In article <1446@tharr.UUCP> gustav@tharr.UUCP (Paul Moore) writes:
>I am having a problem using the Beebe DVI drivers to print documents
>generated using the Gnu Texinfo format. The problem is that Texinfo uses
>cm 10-point fonts scaled 1315, and the drivers only support a fixed set
>of magnifications (magsteps -8 to +8, at 1/2 magstep intervals). So that
>the drivers cannot print these documents properly. I have tried to fix
>this, by adding the required factors to the array of supported
>magnifications, but for some reason it didn't work...

I suggest you do what I did.  Scrap that whole array.  There are a
couple of for loops in the Beebe code that walk up and down the indices of
table, trying to open certain specified font sizes.  If it's looking
for font xxx.300pk and you have both xxx.299pk and xxx.301pk, it won't
help; you'll get font not found.

Instead, I have the for loops walk up and down the integer font numbers
themselves; so first it tries .300pk, then .299pk, then .301pk, ....

It's much more flexible that way.  Give it a try.

Paul
Paul Kirkaas
kirkaas@cs.ucla.edu