[comp.text.tex] Questions about PCTeX

nzhang@ee.su.oz.au (Ning Zhang) (11/21/90)

Sorry if those are most common questions in the group.

I downloaded PCTeX 2.9 and DVIVGA from WUSTL archiver a couple of days ago
and installed on my PC 386SX without problem. Here are the problems I had
with the package:

1. The LaTeX command is very slow, even my PC runs at 20MHz and has 2MB memory.
   I guess the instruction in the .EXE files are of 8086. Is any version
   specially for 386 PCs, both commericial or PD? Is the lastest version,
   i.e. 3.0 available?

2. The LaTeX occasionally failed when handling some tex files which can be
   correctly processed on SUN workstations. The most common error messages
   I had was "Sorry, no enough memory (max 300001)". But the others were
   complaining something are not properly defined. Could you tell me what
   is the reason behind the failure?

3. I tried the SBTeX 3.0 and it supposed faster than PCTeX. But I could not
   find the LaTeX command and I don't know how to build it from INITEX. Also
   it didn't include any fonts with it. Please tell me how to setup a working
   version of SBTeX on PC.

4. The DVIVGA command is for EGA/VGA only. I don't have MS WIN version and
   I don't want to use WIN. Is there is a better version of DVIVGA which
   could operate for SuperVGA, TVGA, etc., as they have high resolution
   than the normal VGA?

Please e-mail me your reply.

Thanks in advance.
-Ning

len@schur. (Len Evens) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov20.231558.28900@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> nzhang@ee.su.oz.au (Ning Zhang) writes:

>Sorry if those are most common questions in the group.
>
>I downloaded PCTeX 2.9 and DVIVGA from WUSTL archiver a couple of days ago
>and installed on my PC 386SX without problem. Here are the problems I had
>with the package:

What does this mean?   PCTeX is a commercial product sold by Personal
TeX.   How can one legitimately ``download'' it?   It seems to me
that these people offer a reasonable product at a reasonable price
for those of us who either don't have the time or don't have the
inclination to set up a public domain version.   Myself, I would
use either SBTeX or EmTeX.  In this case it is neither ethical nor
necessary to engage in theft.

Leonard Evens      len@math.nwu.edu      708-491-5537

jeffj@mcs213j.cs.umr.edu (Jeff Jenness) (11/26/90)

In article <1207@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> len@schur (Len Evens) writes:
>In article <1990Nov20.231558.28900@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> nzhang@ee.su.oz.au (Ning Zhang) writes:
>>
>>Sorry if those are most common questions in the group.
>>
>>I downloaded PCTeX 2.9 and DVIVGA from WUSTL archiver a couple of days ago
>>and installed on my PC 386SX without problem. Here are the problems I had
>>with the package:
>

>What does this mean?   PCTeX is a commercial product sold by Personal
>TeX.   How can one legitimately ``download'' it?   It seems to me

I'm sure Len that this is just a slip of the tongue.  The TeX packages
available on WUSTL are all noncommercial.  The PCTeX referred to is
the DOSTeX package (so I believe), SBTeX and SBMF are also available
on WUSTL.

Jeff Jenness
jeffj@cs.umr.edu
--
Jeff Jenness
University of Missouri - Rolla

LIRAKLIO@MIAMIU.BITNET (LEO J IRAKLIOTIS) (11/26/90)

I need a public domain version of TeX for Apple Mac II. If you
know any place I can download (FTP etc) it, please contact
me at
BITNet .........: LIRAKLIO @ MIAMIU
InterNet .......: LIRAKLIO @ MIAMIU.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU

Thanx.