[comp.text.tex] source for the TeXbook

mdeck@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Mary Deck) (11/22/90)

What should be done with the TeX source for the TeXbook?  We have a
copy hanging around from a while back, and I remember something about
"If you have this file, please delete it."  If we're not supposed to
have it, I'll see that it's removed, but if we are allowed to keep it
(but not print it out, of course, since it's copyrighted), then we'll
keep it for its tutorial value.  Thanks.....

					.....Mary
---
Mary M. Deck
Student Assistant, User Services  |  Internet:  mdeck@cs.buffalo.edu
University Computing Services     |  uucp:      rutgers!ub!mdeck
SUNY at Buffalo                   |  Bitnet:    mdeck%cs.buffalo.edu@ubvms

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) (11/25/90)

In article <47335@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> mdeck@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Mary Deck) writes:

>What should be done with the TeX source for the TeXbook?  We have a
>copy hanging around from a while back, and I remember something about
>"If you have this file, please delete it."  If we're not supposed to
>have it, I'll see that it's removed, but if we are allowed to keep it
>(but not print it out, of course, since it's copyrighted), then we'll
>keep it for its tutorial value.  Thanks.....

You are perfectly within your rights to have the TeX sources of the
TeXbook hanging around.  That's why they are made available, so that we
mortals can learn from them.  But, as you say, it is an infringement of
copyright to print them out.

I'm curious about your memory of the phrase "If you have this file,
please delete it." Certainly I have no memory of such a phrase in the
TeXbook sources.  Perhaps you are thinking of the puzzler at the
beginning of plain.tex:

  % N.B.: A version number is defined at the very end of this file;
  %       please change that number whenever the file is modified!
  % And don't modify the file under any circumstances.

Frankly, anyone who thought compiling and printing the tex
sources of the TeXbook was a cheap easy way of getting the text
would be in for a surprise.  Go buy the thing, and save yourself
a nervous breakdown.  (Remember, the person doing this would not
have read the TeXbook already ... )

Dominik

gm@wsrcc.com (Greg McGary) (11/26/90)

mdeck@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Mary Deck) writes:
>What should be done with the TeX source for the TeXbook?  We have a
>copy hanging around from a while back, and I remember something about
>"If you have this file, please delete it."  If we're not supposed to
>have it, I'll see that it's removed, but if we are allowed to keep it
>(but not print it out, of course, since it's copyrighted), then we'll
>keep it for its tutorial value.  Thanks.....

I believe that "please delete" message concerned the PiCTeX manual,
not the TeXbook.  The TeXbook was consciously made available online
precisely for the purpose that you wish to use it.
--
Greg McGary		gm@wsrcc.com -or- uunet!wsrcc!gm
(703) 318-8698		10310 Main Street, #109, Fairfax, Virginia  22030

ken@csis.dit.csiro.au (Ken Yap) (11/27/90)

>I'm curious about your memory of the phrase "If you have this file,
>please delete it." Certainly I have no memory of such a phrase in the
>TeXbook sources.  Perhaps you are thinking of the puzzler at the
>beginning of plain.tex:

I think this referred to the DVI file for PiCTeX that was released by
accident.