Date: Tue, 20 Nov 90 13:26 MDT
From: Pete Klammer 303/556-3915 <PKLAMMER@cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu>
Subject: re: DECUS TeX v3.0 single-user

> From:	IN%"korte%niu.hepnet@LBL.BITNET" 20-NOV-1990 11:01:11.37
[...]
> Hmmm.  I looked again at your posting, and you did a SHOW SYM {something}
> and the symbol TEX is defined to be $TEX$:TEX.  You also have the *verb*
> TEX defined, but the SYMBOL TeX is going to override the verb.
> You should do a DEL/SYM/GLO TEX and I'll bet it works.  If not, I'll
> sut up now. :-)

Eureka!  Quite right; that did it!

> Rod Korte

Thank you!

 --poko "Eesti vabaks/free Estonia!" Pete Klammer (303)556-3915
FAX(303)556-4822 CU-Denver Computing Services, AHEC Box#169 /
PKLAMMER@CUDENVER.bitnet 1200 Larimer St, NC2506, Denver CO 80204 /
{uucp...}!boulder!pikes!pklammer P.O. Box 173364, Denver CO 80217-3364
/ pklammer@cudnvr.Denver.Colorado.EDU

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 90 07:05:50 -0500
From: svb@cs.purdue.edu (Stephan Bechtolsheim)
Subject: re LaTeX as the cross-references may have changed

You proably have some DUPLICATE label definition somewhere.

Stephan v. Bechtolsheim
Computer Sciences Department			svb@cs.purdue.edu
Computer Science Building			(317) 494 7802
Purdue University			   FAX: (317) 494 0739
West Lafayette, IN 47907

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 1990 12:38-EST
From: Mike.Blackwell@ROVER.RI.CMU.EDU
Subject: Changing page length mid-document

When typesetting books, it's important to get the length of facing
pages to balance, and avoid widows. I can usually do a pretty good job
by just playing with paragraph looseness, but sometimes that's not
enough and things would work much better if I could change the length
of a page or two. I can run a page short by putting a
\vadjust{\vfill\eject} in the middle of a line which I'd like a page
break after, but if the page has a foot note, it will still go the the
very bottom.

I'm looking for a general purpose method of adjusting the length of a
page, either shorter or longer, by a few lines, in either plain TeX or
Latex. I've tried playing with \pagegoal, but I haven't been able to
really figure out what I'm changing... Any advise or samples would be
greatly appreciated.

		Mike Blackwell			mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 90 08:37:58 PST
From: John Good <jcg@ipac.caltech.edu>
Subject: DVI2ps problem

I was given this address as one that might be able to help with the
following problem.  I apologize if that information was wrong.  If so,
could you please advise me as to the correct place to go for help.

We have installed DVI2ps program written by kevin@math.lsa.umich.edu
and are generally very pleased with its performance.  However, there is
one area where either it or we are making a mistake and we would
appreciate your advice.

We ran a test case that consisted of the alphanumeric characters [a-z
A-Z 0-9] repeated three times.  When we ask for a magnified font (in
this case cmbx10 magnified by 4) we got irregular character sizes.  The
PostScript you generate downloads a few characters, then prints them
out, then a few more and so on.  For some reason, in each of these
groups of of characters the first one is not magnified (though it is
positioned properly) and the others are.

Also, in looking through the PostScript file, I notice that the font was
downloaded for each repitition of the character sequence.

						   Cordially

						   John C. Good

| Dr. John C. Good         |                                                 |
| Astronomical Data System | Internet:  jcg@ipac.caltech.edu                 |
| Project Manager          | BITnet  :  jcg%ipac@HAMLET.BitNet               |
| Caltech MS 100-22        | Telemail:  [JGOOD/NASA]NASAMAIL/USA             |
| Pasadena CA 91125        | uucp    :  (cit-vax,trwrb!csula-ps)!ipac!jcg    |
|                          | SPAN    :  ROMEO::"jcg%ipac"                    |
| Tel: (818) 584-2939      |                                                 |
| FAX: (818) 584-9945      |                                                 |

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 10:53:41 EST
From: Masoud Salehi <salehi@omid>
Subject: Makeindex under Msdos

Does anybody know a Makeindex program for PC's? Where can I get it
From? What is the site's IP address?

Masoud

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 12:58:14 -0800
From: mackay@cs.washington.edu (Pierre MacKay)
Subject: TeXhax Digest V90 #68 (UNIX TeX)

Questions concerning installation of Unix TeX should be addressed
first of all to us.  It helps to keep TeXhax clear for more specific
problems.

We can't help with Transcript, but we do a pretty good job with
TeX.

Email concerned with UnixTeX distribution software should be sent primarily
to:	elisabet@max.u.washington.edu           Elizabeth Tachikawa
otherwise to:  mackay@cs.washington.edu		Pierre A. MacKay
Smail:  Northwest Computing Support Center	TUG Site Coordinator for
	Thomson Hall, Mail Stop DR-10		Unix-flavored TeX
	University of Washington
	Seattle, WA 98195
	(206) 543-6259

Date: Fri, 02 Nov 90 21:25:51 -0600
From: eijkhout@csrd.uiuc.edu
Subject: comment environment

Over the last few weeks I have seen two of three requests
for a comment environment on the net. Time for action.

Probably everyone knows why \def\comment#1\endcomment{}
does not work: unbalanced braces, buffer overflow, outer macros, ...

I saw one quite ingenious solution of someone who make almost every character
into comment. Cute. It will take quite a while before you run
into buffer overflow then.

Here is another solution: every line is read as verbatim text, and
just thrown away. No buffer problems. Never.
These macros can be used with plain TeX and LateX, and probably any
other macro package. For plain TeX write
\comment
\endcomment
For LaTeX write
\begin{comment}
\end{comment}
In both cases put the closing command on a line of its own, and nothing
before or after it.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% Comment.sty   version 1.0 2 November 1990
% to be used with plain TeX or LaTeX
%
% Author
%    Victor Eijkhout
%    Center for Supercomputing Research and Development
%    University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
%    305 Talbot Lab
%    104 South Wright Street
%    Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
%
%    eijkhout@csrd.uiuc.edu
%
% Usage: all text included in between
%    \comment ... \endcomment
% or \begin{comment} ... \end{comment}
% is discarded. The closing command should appear on a line
% of its own. No starting spaces, nothing after it.
% This environment should work with arbitrary amounts
% of comment.
%
% Basic approach: take every line in verbatim mode as macro
% argument, then don't do nothing with.

\def\makeinnocent#1{\catcode`#1=12 }

\def\comment{\begingroup
    \let\do\makeinnocent \dospecials
    \makeinnocent\^^L % and whatever other special cases
    \endlinechar`\^^M \catcode`\^^M=12 \xcomment}
{\catcode`\^^M=12 \endlinechar=-1 %
 \gdef\xcomment#1^^M{\def\test{#1}
      \ifx\test\plainendcommenttest
          \let\next\endgroup
      \else\ifx\test\lalaendcommenttest
          \def\next{\endgroup\end{comment}}
      \else
          \let\next\xcomment
      \fi \fi \next}
}

{\escapechar=-1
 \xdef\plainendcommenttest{\string\\endcomment}
 \xdef\lalaendcommenttest{\string\\end\string\{comment\string\}}
}

\endinput

Victor Eijkhout                     phone: +1 217 244-0047
 Center for Supercomputing Research and Development
 305 Talbot laboratory
 104 South Wright street
 Urbana, Illinois 61801-2932, USA

home: 2503 W. Springfield Av, Apt. K-4, Champaign 61821, USA

Date: Mon, 5 Nov 90 17:05:40 EST
From: toms@ncifcrf.gov
Subject: LaTeX for Biologists

Nucleic Acids Research has accepted and has just published a paper of mine
using the LaTeX typesetting format.  People who would like to use these can
obtain them by anonymous ftp from ncifcrf.gov in pub/delila.  There are two
files for NAR:  "nar.sty" and "nar.bst". I have also created styles for Journal
of Molecular Biology and Journal of Theoretical Biology, "jmb.sty" and
"jmb.bst".  The difference between the two journals is that JTB has the full
title.  One can turn on titles by a mechanism that is described in the jmb.bst
file.  (Simply \nocite{TitlesOn}!)  The files should be in the clarkson archive
sometime after December 1.  (For information about using the Clarkson archive
server send a mail message containing the command "help" to
archive-server@sun.coe.clarkson.edu)

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms@ncifcrf.gov

Date: Wed, 07 Nov 90 00:09:55 PST
From: Peter Marvit <marvit@hplpm.hpl.hp.com>
Subject: Macintosh - DVIM72-Mac 1.8.3 using DeskWriter?

I'm looking for help from someone who has already successfully used dvim72
(part of the OzTeX suite of rthe Macintosh) to print onto an HP DeskWriter
(the 300 dpi inkjet printer).  I seem to be having quite a quandry and have
succeeded only in printing lovely thick black strips.

Specifically, how did you set your dvim72 up?  What resolution and/or PK
files do you use?
	-Peter "TeX'ed off at the Mac" Marvit

: Peter Marvit   Hewlett-Packard Labs in Palo Alto, CA   (415) 857-6646    :
: Internet: <marvit@hplabs.hpl.hp.com>  uucp: {any backbone}!hplabs!marvit :

Date: Wed, 7 Nov 1990 17:28 PST
From: Don Hosek <DHOSEK@HMCVAX.CLAREMONT.EDU>
Subject: Re: getting zed.sty to work w/ new font selection scheme

The zed.sty approach cannot be used with the new font selection scheme
because most of the math families are in fact not fixed; this allows
more math alphabets to be present (the old scheme allowed a total of 16
of which there were 11 or 12 already in use). However, the approach
being used is actually a bad plan anyway since while multiple letters
look better in text italic (and, in fact, should be typeset in it),
single letter identifiers look better in the math italic. There is a
significant difference between the appearance of $a$ and {\it a\/}$
beyond the issue of inter-letter spacing.

The recommended handling of multi-letter identifiers is to either use
$2\times {\it last\_value}=x+y$ (old font selection or
oldlfont.sty/nomargid.sty) or
$2\times\mathit{last\_value}=x+y$ (new font selection or
newlfont,sty/margid.sty)

One other note on this is that the new font selection scheme actually
has four possible configurations:

oldlfont.sty    Everything works (mostly) as it does with the old font
                selection scheme.
oldlfont.sty+margid.sty  Same as above but the \mathit{text} format is
                used for math mode font changes rather than the {\it
                text} format.
newlfont.sty    Now \it, \bf, etc. act independently so \it\bf gives a
                bold italic font. Math mode font changes are
                \mathit{...}
newlfont.sty+nomargid.sty  Same as newlfont.sty but math mode font
                changes use the old style.

 -dh

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 90 13:01:31 +0000
From: Dominik Wujastyk <ucgadkw@ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Bitstream fonts at high resolution

Some usenet discussion about Bitstream fonts for TeX has prompted me to
post this item.

I would be very interested to hear from any recent buyers of PTI's
Bitstream support package as to whether the package has been upgraded.
I would like to hear from PTI themselves, ideally, but they won't
answer me or others in this country (England), apparently.

As many of you know, Personal TeX Inc. bought the rights from
Bitstream to implement a Bitstream outline -> TeX PXL program.  This
program, COtoPX, reads a BS outline font and writes a TeX PXL font.
Then you run PXtoPK, and you have a PK.

This is all very well if you are using fonts at 300dpi, but when you
want to generate a font at 1270dpi, translate the DVI to PostScript,
and send output to a typesetting machine, things go wrong.  Basically,
the sizes of the characters are all wrong.

A long time ago, when I first had this problem, James Clark kindly
fixed it for me with a little program called fixpxres.c that makes the
necessary adjustment to the PXL file that COtoPX outputs.  Here are his
notes on the problem, and the program. "[ ... ]" surround my comments
of the present time.  With James' program, you can put Bitstream
fonts at 1270dpi into documents for typesetting via PostScript.

%===================================================================
From:    James Clark <jjc@uucp.jclark>
To:      UCGADKW@uk.ac.ucl.euclid [obsolete address]
Date:    Fri, 3 Feb 89 13:21:01 GMT

>Could you give me a succinct statement of what changes Personal TeX
>should make to their COTOPX or PXTOPK programs in order to mend all this?

PXTOPK is ok I think. The problem is with COTOPX. It seems to put an
incorrect value for the magnification of the font in the PXL file.
When the PXL file is converted to a PK file, this causes the values of
hppp, vppp and all the dx (escapement) values to come out wrong.  The
magnification is contained in the last but three word of the PXL file.
The important thing to realise is that it represents the magnification
of the font {\it assuming a 200 dpi printer}. Thus this value should
actually be the magnification of the font multiplied by (dpi/200),
where dpi is the actual resolution in dots per inch of the printer for
which the font is intended. For example, the value for cmr10 at a
magnification of 1000 for a 1270 dpi printer should be 6350.

Ideally COTOPX ought to be rewritten to output GF format so that
horzontal escapements can be specified: this would enhance the
quality of the letter spacing of the resulting font.

   [This may have happened: can anyone say?  I sent fixpxres.c to
   PTI in Feb. 1989, but they never acknowledged. -- DW]

I have written a fixpxres.c program which fixes pxl files. The command
is

fixpxres pxlfile dpi [magnification]

It fixes the pxl file in place, so it's probably best to make copies
of the pxl file until you're sure it works. Dpi is the resolution of
the printer, 1270 in your case. Magnification is the magnification of
the font multiplied by 1000. You can miss this parameter out and it
will assume a value of 1000. I'm including source plus an executable.

I guess the PXL file you sent was a 300 dpi font. Is that right?  I
ran fixpxres on it with a dpi of 300, converted it to a pk font, and
used it with dvitops -d 300 on the dvi file you sent, and it actually
worked! It looks rather similar to Times-Roman.

   [It was Dutch. --DW]

James

/* fixpxres.c */

#include <stdio.h>

main(argc, argv)
int argc;
char **argv;
{
  long mag = 0, dpi;
  FILE *fp;
  extern long atol();
  if (argc != 3 && argc != 4) {
    fprintf(stderr, "usage: %s pxlfile dpi [magnification]\n");
    exit(1);
  }
  if ((fp = fopen(argv[1], "r+b")) == NULL) {
    fprintf(stderr, "can't open %s\n", argv[1]);
    exit(1);
  }
  dpi = atol(argv[2]);
  if (argc == 4)
    mag = atol(argv[3]);
  if (mag > 0) {
    dpi *= mag;
    dpi /= 1000;
  }
  dpi *= 5;
  if (fseek(fp, -16L, 2) == EOF) {
    fprintf(stderr, "can't seek\n");
    exit(1);
  }
  putc((dpi >> 24) & 255, fp);
  putc((dpi >> 16) & 255, fp);
  putc((dpi >> 8) & 255, fp);
  putc(dpi & 255, fp);
  exit(0);
}
/* end of fixpxres.c */

%===================================================================

Many thanks, James.

Dominik

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU          TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nnn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nnn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest