[comp.text.tex] Tomas Rokicki's DVIPS for MSDOS

msd@enh.nist.gov (M. Scott Dewey) (11/29/90)

Dear Experts,

Recently I've started using Tomas Rokicki's DVIPS version 5.4 on our VMS
platform.  I've also downloaded an MS-DOS version that comes with an
executable file from terminator.cc.umich.edu.  The driver is REALLY nice
(especially nice is the way it interfaces with the emtex distribution);
however in the case of the MS-DOS distribution the executable is version
5.3 (not 5.4), it defaults to a4 sized paper, and requests for landscape
output seem to produce no output (here the VMS version 5.4 works fine).
Perhaps upgrading to version 5.4 would solve this; unfortunately I have no
Turbo-C compiler.  Does anyone out there have a v5.4 executable that they'd
be willing to share with me?

I would like to point out one small problem I had getting DVIPS to work on
VMS.  The MAKE.COM appears to be defining the necessary environment
variables -- in fact one is instructed to make one's changes to MAKE.COM --
but I found that definitions made for these same values in PATHS.H take
precedence over those set in MAKE.COM so it was necessary for me to change
the defaults in PATHS.H rather than MAKE.COM.

Thanks!
--
NAME:   Dr. M. Scott Dewey             TELE: (301) 975-4843
DIVISION: Quantum Metrology            INTERNET: msd@enh.nist.gov

eln272v@monu1.cc.monash.oz ( r lang) (11/30/90)

In article <009406DB.A26660C0@QMD.PHY.NIST.GOV>, msd@enh.nist.gov (M. Scott Dewey) writes:
> I've also downloaded an MS-DOS version that comes with an
> executable file from terminator.cc.umich.edu.
> ...  executable is version  5.3 (not 5.4),
I have sent mail to the archive maintainer asking him to update
the files to dvips 5.4.  Please be patient.

> it defaults to a4 sized paper,
This is set in pc/config.ps - change the 'ta4' line.

> Does anyone out there have a v5.4 executable that they'd
> be willing to share with me?
You will be able to tell when dvips on terminator has been updated -
dvips1.zip and dvips2.zip will be replaced by
dvips54.zip and dvipslib.zip.

--
Russell Lang   Email: rjl@monu1.cc.monash.edu.au   Phone: (03) 565 3460
Department of Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering