[comp.text.tex] Need help with LaTeX indentation

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (12/01/90)

Hello,

	I am trying to come up with a LaTeX style (or actually just some
definitions to put in the preamble) which will style the document as
a curriculum vita (this is what we academic geebs call resumes).  I have
solved a few problems, such as trying to get the paragraphs not to indent,
getting it to use sans-serif font instead of Times; I am stuck on this
next one.

I want to use what my Mac Word Processor calls 'hanging indent' - this means
that the first line is NOT indented, but the rest are.  This seems to make
the organization more apparent; the first line of each point is flush left,
but each additional line in a given point is offset or indented to the right
by some nice space.

I have tried tried tried to get LaTeX to do this.  My last try was using
the list environment, and I still can't get it to work (somehow list
shifts the whole THING over, so I do have hanging indent but it's all offset
from the main text!!)  Can someone please tell me how to do this?

While I am here, a plea:  Please make your subject lines more indicative.
For example, a subject line which says 'Hanging Indent in LaTeX' is not
good (I could've used this) because this does not tell your average reader
of comp.text.tex whether you mean 'I want to know how to get LaTeX to do
a hanging indent', or 'read this article and you will discover how to do
hanging indent.'  If you are posting a QUESTION, I request that you either
preface the subject with 'Question:' or 'Q:', or else add a '?' at the end,
or say 'Need Help with ...', something like that.  If you are posting a
solution, you might preface with 'A:' or say 'How to produce Hanging Indent
in LaTeX (SOURCE)' so someone knows you actually have the answer.  This
makes it much easier to get through your morning newsreading quickly.

I am assuming that most of us don't want to spend lots of time reading news,
we actually have other things to do.

				Thanks,		Jeff

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (12/01/90)

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) writes:

>	I am trying to come up with a LaTeX style (or actually just some
>definitions to put in the preamble) which will style the document as
>a curriculum vita (this is what we academic geebs call resumes).  I have
>solved a few problems, such as trying to get the paragraphs not to indent,
>getting it to use sans-serif font instead of Times; I am stuck on this
>next one.

Sans-serif instead of Times? I presume you mean sans-serif instead
of roman... Getting TeX to do Times is a bit hard for most people
to start with.

>I want to use what my Mac Word Processor calls 'hanging indent' - this means
>that the first line is NOT indented, but the rest are.  This seems to make
>the organization more apparent; the first line of each point is flush left,
>but each additional line in a given point is offset or indented to the right
>by some nice space.

This is one of those features that appear in pure TeX, but are
not treated in the LaTeX book, which treats only the additions
to pure TeX that make up LaTeX.

Getting hanging indentation is easy:
\hangafter=1 \hangindent=2cm
in front of your paragraph is enough to get all lines after the
first one to indent over 2cm. Actually, the first line is
default, so you can leave that one out.

Note: these parameters are reset after each paragraph, so you have
to give that command for each paragraph.
Note also: even with these specifications, the ordinary indentation
will still be inserted. So be sure to add a \noindent.

These parametrs have more gadgets: a negative value of \hangafter
means: leave (minus) this many lines unindented, then start indenting,
and negative \hangindent means indent from the right.
Read the TeXbook for the details.

>While I am here, a plea:  Please make your subject lines more indicative.

Simple rule of interpretation: is a subject line sounds
interesting, the message contains only ``who can tell me something
about''. If you have seen such a subject line, wait for the resonses.

Victor.

jg@prg.ox.ac.uk (Jeremy Gibbons) (12/05/90)

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) asks:

> I want to use what my Mac Word Processor calls 'hanging indent'.  My last try
> was using the list environment, and I still can't get it to work (somehow
> list shifts the whole THING over, so I do have hanging indent but it's all
> offset from the main text!!)

Look at the way `description' works in latex.tex (you only need to make the
label non-bold to get what you want, I think).

> While I am here, a plea:  [...]
> For example, a subject line which says 'Hanging Indent in LaTeX' is not
> good (I could've used this) because this does not tell your average reader
> of comp.text.tex whether you mean 'I want to know how to get LaTeX to do
> a hanging indent', or 'read this article and you will discover how to do
> hanging indent.'

No, but on the other hand, if you

   (a) know about hanging indent, you may learn from an answer and be able
       to help the poser of a question
   (b) don't know about hanging indent, but want to, then you should watch
       other people's questions (so you understand the applicability of the
       answer when it arrives, so you can say `me too' if someone asks for
       email replies etc) anyway
   (c) don't know about hanging indent and couldn't care less, then you'll
       skip it anyway...

(imho)

Jeremy

|  Jeremy Gibbons (jg@uk.ac.oxford.prg)   Funky Monkey Multimedia Corp  |