[comp.text.tex] Getting rid of underfull hbox

Pieter.Muller@f11.n492.z5.fidonet.org (Pieter Muller) (12/03/90)

I use the following as part of a command to generate boxed headings in a technical manual:

        \vspace{.5cm} \noindent
        \framebox[\textwidth][l]{{\bf #1}}

For each instantiation of this command I get the warning:

Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 483--483

I know this is harmless, but I'd like to switch it off because it generates so much noise in the TeX screen output that I sometimes miss other warnings and have to check the log file.

How can I disable this warning?

-- Pieter

--
Pieter Muller - via FidoNet 5:494/5
UUCP: uunet!m2xenix!quagga!bberry!492!11!Pieter.Muller

claus@suncvt13.verfahrenstechnik.uni-stuttgart.de (Claus Fleischer) (12/06/90)

In article <503.2759C7E2@bberry.uucp> Pieter.Muller@f11.n492.z5.fidonet.org (Pieter Muller) writes:

>I use the following as part of a command to generate boxed headings in a technical manual:
>
>        \vspace{.5cm} \noindent
>        \framebox[\textwidth][l]{{\bf #1}}
>

>For each instantiation of this command I get the warning:
>
>Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 483--483

I would try the following

   \framebox[\textwidth][l]{{\hfill \bf #1 \hfill}}

so you get an infinitely stretchable space at the beginning and
the end of your #1 and should therefore not produce an
"underfull \hbox" warning at all.

claus