[comp.text.tex] _Impatient_'s \doublecolumns and \singlecolumn for LaTeX

dorai@titan.rice.edu (Dorai Sitaram) (12/06/90)

I found the \doublecolumns and \singlecolumn macros written by Karl
Berry and described in the book _TeX for the Impatient_ very neat.
They allow one to switch between these two styles in mid-page, as
opposed to LaTeX's \twocolumn and \onecolumn, which force a page
break.  The hitch is Berry's stuff works only in plainTeX.  Has anyone
modified his stuff so that it works in LaTeX too?

--d

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (12/06/90)

dorai@titan.rice.edu (Dorai Sitaram) writes:

>I found the \doublecolumns and \singlecolumn macros written by Karl
>Berry and described in the book _TeX for the Impatient_ very neat.
>They allow one to switch between these two styles in mid-page, as
>opposed to LaTeX's \twocolumn and \onecolumn, which force a page
>break.  The hitch is Berry's stuff works only in plainTeX.  Has anyone
>modified his stuff so that it works in LaTeX too?

No (not that I know of, that is) but Frank Mittelbach's
multicol style can be found on many popular listservers.

Victor.