[comp.text.tex] Abolition of Math Italic?

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu ( Michael A. Covington) (12/07/90)

 I am just starting to use LaTeX and do a lot of linguistics and
 formal logic. My idea of a formula is something like

      $\exist x ~ donkey(x) \wedge owns(p,x)$

 with a lot of English words in it.

 Is there something simple I can do that will make LaTeX use
 regular italics rather than Math Italic in formulas?
 English words look oddly spaced when set in Math Italic.
 I know I can switch to regular italic in any particular
 instance using \it or \mbox as the case may be, but what I'd like
 is to make Math Italic go away, with one broad stroke.

duchier@cs.yale.edu (Denys Duchier) (12/08/90)

In article <1990Dec7.050746.11274@athena.cs.uga.edu> mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu ( Michael A. Covington) writes:
 >  [...] to make Math Italic go away, with one broad stroke.

No guarantees, but try:

\everymath{\it}
\everydisplay{\it}

This is not a very good idea.  For example single letters in \it don't
look as good as in \mit (for math, that is).

--Denys

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (12/08/90)

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu ( Michael A. Covington) writes:

> I know I can switch to regular italic in any particular
> instance using \it or \mbox as the case may be, but what I'd like
> is to make Math Italic go away, with one broad stroke.

This is a broad stroke:
\everymath{\it\textfont1=\the\font}
\everydisplay=\everymath

I think LaTeX doesn't use the \evrymath and \everydisplay itself,
so this may be sufficient. Otherwise put the sequence of commands
in a convenient small macro.

But are you sure that you don't use any other symbols from the
math italic font? Otherwise you could do this:
\mathcode`a="0061
and so on for all letters. The "00 is the crucial part, the
61 is the hexadecimal ascii code for small 'a'.

Victor.

sean@castle.ed.ac.uk (S Matthews) (12/08/90)

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu ( Michael A. Covington) writes:

> I am just starting to use LaTeX and do a lot of linguistics and
> formal logic. My idea of a formula is something like

>      $\exist x ~ donkey(x) \wedge owns(p,x)$

> with a lot of English words in it.

> Is there something simple I can do that will make LaTeX use
> regular italics rather than Math Italic in formulas?
> English words look oddly spaced when set in Math Italic.
> I know I can switch to regular italic in any particular
> instance using \it or \mbox as the case may be, but what I'd like
> is to make Math Italic go away, with one broad stroke.

Try this (from John Spivey's `zed.sty'):

% MATHCODES
%
% The mathcodes for the letters A, ..., Z, a, ..., z are changed to
% generate text italic rather than math italic by default. This makes
% generate text italic rather than math italic by default. This makes
% is set to "7000 (variable family) + "400 (text italic) + c.
%

\def\@setmcodes#1#2#3{{\count0=#1 \count1=#3
        \loop \global\mathcode\count0=\count1 \ifnum \count0<#2
        \advance\count0 by1 \advance\count1 by1 \repeat}}

\@setmcodes{`A}{`Z}{"7441}
\@setmcodes{`a}{`z}{"7461}