[comp.text.tex] AMS fonts: old vs. new

young@emx.utexas.edu (Young U. Ryu) (12/10/90)

--- 1 - 1 - 1 ---
A few days ago, I asked a question about ``old'' vs.
``new'' AmSTeX fonts. After that, I have received
a couple of responses (Thanks ...) and I myself
tried to find differences.

The answer is that:

	The new ones (msam,msbm) are *almost* same
	as the old ones (msxm,mxym). I found a few
	minor changes. Several empty slots of old
	font tables have been filled with new symbols.
	Shapes look a bit different; especially
	those of blackboard bold capitals.

Therefore, if you want, you may use ``mssymb.tex"
(that is the symbol name definition file for old ones)
with new ones after changing (msxm,msym) to (msam,msbm)
in ``mssymb.tex.''

Symbol name definition files for new ones, i.e.
amssym.def, amssym.tex, etc., can be used with LaTeX.

--- 2 - 2 - 2 ---
In <SMITH.90Dec9150103@zeus.harvard.edu>, news@husc6.harvard.edu
wrote:

  > Regarding the new AMS fonts: Does anyone know why the AMS did not
  > retain (and support) the ``old'' blackboard capitals in the font msym?
  > ... ...

I guess it is misleading. The new AMS fonts support blackboard
capitals, though shapes are a bit different.

--- 3 - 3 - 3 ---
I have also asked if AMS fonts .tfm and .pk files for emTeX
are available or not. AMS fonts .tfm files and 118 dpi and
300 dpi .pk files are available from various ftp sites such
as labrea.stanford.edu, e-math.ams.com, etc. Unless one uses
the HP printer driver and 300 dpi fonts with emTeX,
one must generate .pk files with proper resolutions
(e.g. 180, 360*180, etc.).

I'm using a 180 dpi printer (the P6L driver).
Instead of bothering in generating fonts, I got
nearest resolution fonts:

	Resolutions Required     What I Got
	--------------------     ----------
	         180                170
	         197                204
	         217                204
	         259                245
	         311                300
	         373                360
	         448                432

The emTeX driver accepted these *wrong* .pk files.
The printout result was acceptable.
This is a kind of *short-term* solution...

Young
Univ. of Texas at Austin
young@emx.utexas.edu