[comp.text.tex] Do I need full TeX system for GNU Docs?

statham@cup.portal.com (Perry Lee Statham) (12/05/90)

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to print out the GNU documention
without downloading the TeX package?

I have already tried texi2roff and it's results do not seem to be to
neat.  It seems to put extranious characters in the output and from
what I see, does not support the \input texinfo command.

If anyone can help please send mail to me at statham@cup.portal.com

Thanks

+-----------------------------+
|     Perry Lee Statham       |
|   statham@cup.portal.com    |
|       (512) 467-1396        |
+-----------------------------+

walter@hpsadle.HP.COM (Walter Coole) (12/06/90)

It sounds as though you have the .texinfo version of the docs.  To get useful
hard-copy from those, you will need a functional version of TeX,
texinfo.tex (which you may already have), a dvi driver suitable for
your printer, and some appropriate fonts (I think the standard setup
calls for a couple scalings of cmr10 and the bold and italic
equivalents, but any TeX user could probably modify your files to use
whatever TeX fonts you have available).
    If online documentation is sufficient for what you need, GNU emacs
can convert .texinfo to info format, which GNU emacs's info mode can
read nicely.  You could probably print that out, but it won't be
formatted very nicely.

ewoods@hemel.bull.co.uk (Eoin Woods) (12/11/90)

statham@cup.portal.com (Perry Lee Statham) writes:

>Can anyone tell me if there is a way to print out the GNU documention
>without downloading the TeX package?

>I have already tried texi2roff and it's results do not seem to be to
>neat.  It seems to put extranious characters in the output and from
>what I see, does not support the \input texinfo command.

Interesting question!

I too am one of the large number of GNU devotees that does not use TeX
and so has a documentation problem - My solution is either to get postscript
versions (have a look at abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov [128.155.23.64] in /pub/docs)
or alternatively use texi2roff and then edit the output and put back what
has been stripped out and tidy up.

Any other solutions out there ?

Eoin.
~    Eoin Woods, Software Development Group, Bull HN Information Systems,   ~
~                Maxted Road, Hemel Hempstead, Herts HP2 7DZ                ~
~                   Tel :   +44 442 232222 x4823                            ~
~                   Fax :   +44 442 234084                                  ~
~                   < Eoin.Woods@hemel.bull.co.uk >                         ~
~          < When do we start news group comp.os.emacs ?  :-) >             ~