[comp.text.tex] Looking for Mac version of TeX

mcl@tko.vtt.fi (Clegg Mathew) (11/30/90)

I am interested to know what implementations of TeX (and LaTeX)
exist for the MacIntosh.  In particular, I have heard that there is
a version of TeX which displays the formatted text in a window
as you are typing it.  But I don't know the name of this product
or the vendor.  Could someone please supply me with more
information?

Thanks in advance,
Matthew Clegg
mcl@tko.vtt.fi

siegman@sierra.STANFORD.EDU (siegman) (12/01/90)

>I am interested to know what implementations of TeX (and LaTeX)
>exist for the MacIntosh.

Textures.  Used to be distributed by Addison Wesley, now Blue Sky
Research, Portland, Oregon.  Superb.

[Yes, it displays the typeset output in a window on screen, exactly as
it will appear on the page, almost instantly, with provision for
demagnifying to see the full page, or magnifying to examine fine
details of a complex formula.]

pollock@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Wayne Pollock) (12/04/90)

OzTeX is a *free* implementation of TeX and LaTeX for the Mac.  Comes with
everything you need, except for an integrated editer.  I use a DA editor with
no problems.  This program is very robust.  You can ftp it from (I think):
midway@uchicago.edu.

Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)
Internet:	pollock@screamer.csee.usf.edu
GEnie:		W.POLLOCK

johne@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (John Eickemeyer) (12/12/90)

In article <161@screamer.csee.usf.edu> pollock@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Wayne Pollock) writes:
>OzTeX is a *free* implementation of TeX and LaTeX for the Mac.  Comes with
>everything you need, except for an integrated editer.  I use a DA editor with
>no problems.  This program is very robust.  You can ftp it from (I think):
>midway@uchicago.edu.

I tried to "ftp midway@uchicago.edu" and was told that it was an "unknown host".
Is this the correct host name?  Also, how big is OzTex?  All info appreciated.

Thanks,

- John Eickemeyer
johne@cs.ucla.edu

lrm3@ellis.uchicago.edu (Lawrence Reed Miller) (12/12/90)

johne@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (John Eickemeyer) writes:
>I tried to "ftp midway@uchicago.edu" and was told that it was an "unknown host"
>Is this the correct host name?  Also, how big is OzTex?  All info appreciated.

midway.uchicago.edu (no @ sign--use a period ".") is the correct address.  The
number is 128.135.12.73, if the name isn't in your name server.  I'm afraid
I don't know how large it is offhand, except that it is really quite large.

Hope this helps.

Lawrence Miller

bitting-douglas@cs.yale.edu (Douglas Bitting) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec11.223420.150@cs.ucla.edu> johne@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (John Eickemeyer) writes:
>In article <161@screamer.csee.usf.edu> pollock@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Wayne Pollock) writes:

>>no problems.  This program is very robust.  You can ftp it from (I think):
>>midway@uchicago.edu.
>
>I tried to "ftp midway@uchicago.edu" and was told that it was an "unknown host".
>Is this the correct host name?  Also, how big is OzTex?  All info appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>- John Eickemeyer
>johne@cs.ucla.edu

Try ftp midway.uchicago.edu

That should do the trick about the host not being found... that is, unless your
site doesn't have a name server, in which case you should try
'ftp 128.135.12.73'.  I hope that this helps.

--Doug

zeitler@esseye.UUCP (David Zeitler) (12/12/90)

In <1990Dec12.011948.8270@midway.uchicago.edu> lrm3@ellis.uchicago.edu (Lawrence Reed Miller) writes:

>johne@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (John Eickemeyer) writes:
>>I tried to "ftp midway@uchicago.edu" and was told that it was an "unknown host"
>>Is this the correct host name?  Also, how big is OzTex?  All info appreciated.

>midway.uchicago.edu (no @ sign--use a period ".") is the correct address.  The
>number is 128.135.12.73, if the name isn't in your name server.  I'm afraid
>I don't know how large it is offhand, except that it is really quite large.

I beleive my backup of OzTeX is in a Stuffit archive segmented across 5
floppies.

-----------
Dave Zeitler				zeitler@si.com
Smith's Industries			zeitler@sol.cs.wmich.edu
Aerospace & Defense Systems Inc.	Ph: (616)241-8168

pandy@niksula.hut.fi (Pandy Holmberg) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec11.223420.150@cs.ucla.edu> johne@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (John Eickemeyer) writes:
 >no problems.  This program is very robust.  You can ftp it from (I think):?n
 >midway@uchicago.edu.

 >I tried to "ftp midway@uchicago.edu" and was told that it was an "unknown host".
 > Is this the correct host name?  Also, how big is OzTex?  All info appreciated

	I don't think so. I have never heard of a host name that consists
	a '@'.	I would try midway.chicago.edu although I too got the
	same error message.

	Pandy

--
"I'm dreaming of a white christmas"
                            -- B. Crosby

       /I I   Andreas "Pandy" Holmberg             pandy@spiff.hut.fi
      /-I-I   Helsinki University of Technology    pandy@otax.hut.fi
     /  I I   Faculty of Electrical Engineering    s37775d@taltta.hut.fi

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (12/13/90)

In article <PANDY.90Dec12183312@spiff.hut.fi> pandy@niksula.hut.fi (Pandy Holmberg) writes:
>In article <1990Dec11.223420.150@cs.ucla.edu> johne@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (John Eickemeyer) writes:
> >no problems.  This program is very robust.  You can ftp it from (I think):?n
> >midway@uchicago.edu.
>
> >I tried to "ftp midway@uchicago.edu" and was told that it was an "unknown host".
> > Is this the correct host name?  Also, how big is OzTex?  All info appreciated

The correct host name is       midway.uchicago.edu

OzTeX is big, especially when the fonts are considered. The program is
in the pub directory where there is a README file that details what is
present with OzTeX.

Good luck.

--
X	           David Baird			xdab@midway.uchicago.edu      X