[comp.text.tex] cweave functionality

ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric C. Olson) (12/12/90)

I've just started using cweb, and I've come across what seems to be
a serious limitation.  I have a C section labeled:

	@(foo.c@>=

which is about 200 lines long.  This was no problem for ctangle, but
cweave dies with the following message:

	! Sorry, scrap/token/text capacity exceeded. (l. 399)

So, I doubled max_scraps to fix this, recompiled cweave, and tried
again with the following result:

	! Sorry, text capacity exceeded. (l. 448)

which is different but not really better.  I don't want to continually
increase the size of these memory areas.  Is the idea that 200 line
programs are really too large?

Thanks in advance for opinions and pointers (but not flames ;-)
Eric
--
Eric
ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu

smith@zeus.harvard.edu (Steven Smith) (12/12/90)

I experienced the same difficulty with cweave, but the only solution I
came across was to reduce the size of the module in question. I agree
that this seems to be a serious limitation.

fj@iesd.auc.dk (Frank Jensen) (12/13/90)

In article <...> smith@zeus.harvard.edu (Steven Smith) writes:

   I experienced the same difficulty with cweave, but the only solution I
   came across was to reduce the size of the module in question. I agree
   that this seems to be a serious limitation.

A module in a WEB is supposed to be understood as a single unit.  In
this light, I think it's *good* that CWEB limits the size of a module
to about 200 lines.  [Maybe the limit should have been 30 :-) ]

If you write procedures/functions longer than 200 lines, then I will
never read any of programs (unless, of course, you force me by
pointing a gun at me :-)

---
Frank Jensen
Aalborg University
DENMARK

smith@zeus.harvard.edu (Steven Smith) (12/14/90)

> A module in a WEB is supposed to be understood as a single unit.  In
> this light, I think it's *good* that CWEB limits the size of a module
> to about 200 lines.  [Maybe the limit should have been 30 :-) ]

Perhaps, however sometimes one may wish to use cweave only for its
prettyprinting capabilities, at which it is quite good.  In this
instance, this ``feature'' becomes a limitation if the source code is
too long for cweave's memory.

Steven Smith