[comp.text.tex] EmTeX on MKS Tool Kit

yjkim@viking.cs.uh.edu (12/01/90)

Is there anyone who succeeded in running EmTeX dvi drivers
on MKS Tool Kit ?
It is strange that TeX works, but not dvi drivers.
The dvi driver seems to fail to search paths.
Of course I set the all the environment variables appropriately,
including 'dvidrvfonts'.
And MKS Tool Kit is a newest version.
If anyone has a solution, please post. There are other people
who wish to know.

wbue@ciba-geigy.ch (Ueli Buechler) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Nov30.235708.26093@menudo.uh.edu> yjkim@viking.cs.uh.edu () writes:
>Is there anyone who succeeded in running EmTeX dvi drivers
>on MKS Tool Kit ?

I'm responding without having my profile.ksh in front of me, so there might by
a mistake in my answer. But there are 2 things to be observed:
  1. use (quoted) backslashes in any path
  2. the assignment statement works strangely: it seems to be expanded twice.
     So you have to protect the backslashes twice:
     export dvifonts='"c:\myfonts"'

Regards
  Ueli
Ueli Buechler, CIBA-GEIGY AG, R-1045.3.32, P.O.Box, CH-4002 Basel, Switzerland
Internet: wbue@ciba-geigy.ch                       Phone: (+41) 61 697 31 56
BITNET:   wbue%ciba-geigy.ch@cernvax               Fax:   (+41) 61 697 32 88
X.400:    S=Buechler; G=Ueli; OU=chcgbs30; PRMD=Ciba-Geigy; ADMD=arcom; C=ch

tpt@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Tim Temple) (12/05/90)

/ hpindda:comp.text.tex / wbue@ciba-geigy.ch (Ueli Buechler) / 12:05 am  Dec  3, 1990 /
In article <1990Nov30.235708.26093@menudo.uh.edu> yjkim@viking.cs.uh.edu () writes:
>Is there anyone who succeeded in running EmTeX dvi drivers
>on MKS Tool Kit ?
  2. the assignment statement works strangely: it seems to be expanded twice.
     So you have to protect the backslashes twice:
     export dvifonts='"c:\myfonts"'
----------

While 2. works, this is not really the proper syntax.  Assignments and
exports should be done separately.  This usually doesn't matter, but it
does in cases like the above, or where you don't want double
interpretation.

    dvifonts=c:\\myfonts
    export dvifonts

tt

wjin@viking.cs.uh.edu (Woochang Jin) (12/06/90)

In article <47850002@hpindda.cup.hp.com> tpt@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Tim Temple) writes:
>/ hpindda:comp.text.tex / wbue@ciba-geigy.ch (Ueli Buechler) / 12:05 am  Dec  3, 1990 /
>>Is there anyone who succeeded in running EmTeX dvi drivers
>>on MKS Tool Kit ?
>  2. the assignment statement works strangely: it seems to be expanded twice.
>     So you have to protect the backslashes twice:
>     export dvifonts='"c:\myfonts"'
>----------
>While 2. works, this is not really the proper syntax.  Assignments and
>exports should be done separately.  This usually doesn't matter, but it
>does in cases like the above, or where you don't want double
>interpretation.
>
>    dvifonts=c:\\myfonts
>    export dvifonts

Not true. None of the above works with dvidrivers in EmTeX.

------
W. Jin

paul@mks.com (Paul Steinbach) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Nov30.235708.26093@menudo.uh.edu> yjkim@viking.cs.uh.edu () writes:
>Is there anyone who succeeded in running EmTeX dvi drivers
>on MKS Tool Kit ?
>It is strange that TeX works, but not dvi drivers.
>The dvi driver seems to fail to search paths.
>Of course I set the all the environment variables appropriately,
>including 'dvidrvfonts'.
>And MKS Tool Kit is a newest version.
>If anyone has a solution, please post. There are other people
>who wish to know.

One thing to bear in mind when creating environment variables for a UNIX
style shell like the MKS korn shell is that the variable names can have
mixed case.  The programs which use the above variable are probably
looking for a variable 'DVIDRVFONTS', and will ignore 'dvidrvfonts'.

It may be necessary to use backslashes as directory separators in the value
assigned to the variable.  Quote the string with apostrophes to protect the
'\' characters from the shell.

Try the following variable definition:

export DVIDRVFONTS='c:\my\variable'

- Paul
--
     ||  // // ,'/~~\'   Paul Steinbach, Technical Support
    /||/// //|' `\\\     Mortice Kern Systems Inc.
   / | //_// ||\___/     35 King St. N., Waterloo, Ont., Can. N2J 2W9
O_/                      paul@mks.com  Voice: 519-884-2251  Fax: 519-884-8861