[comp.text.tex] TFM files and virtual fonts for HP LJ III

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (12/14/90)

Are there analogues of the postscript virtual fonts for
TeX 3, but using the internal scalable fonts on the
HP LJ III?

dhosek@linus.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (12/15/90)

In article <2787@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) writes:
> Are there analogues of the postscript virtual fonts for
> TeX 3, but using the internal scalable fonts on the
> HP LJ III?

Virtual fonts have nothing to do with PostScript (other than that
that is the most common application among the net people with the
advent of the version 5.x of Tom Rokicki's dvips).

What the VF (some people prefer the terminology "Composite Font")
technology does is allow one to have a TeX font that has no
relation to any physical font anywhere. dvips' afm2tfm uses vf
files to map the TeX character coding to the PostScript character
coding so that the character code for, say, the acute accent will
be in the same place in Adobe PostScript Times as it is in
Computer Modern. Other possibilities are to do things like
compose composite letters (a VF character description can contain
any DVI commands) so that one can have, say, a character which is
\'{a} but in a single character position (handy for those who
would like to hyphenate words like Alcana (that last letter is an
ISO 8859/1 acute-a)) or have a single character (as far as TeX is
concerned) which is a whole LaTeX picture (a challenge to someone
out there: write a WEB program which can take a single page DVI
file and create a one character TeX virtual font out of it...
just think, a simple and easy way of doing DVI file includes!).

But to get back to your original question, what it seems you want
to do is to have access to the HP LJ III internal fonts. There
are a fair number of drivers with this feature available.
Complete lists of drivers (or at least as complete as I've been
able to verify the information) are available from
ymir.claremont.edu in [anonymous.tex.drivers.info] with laser
printer drivers enumerated in drivers.laser and source
information provided in drivers.sources.

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.

ymir.claremont.edu will be inaccessible from January 4th through 16th while the
building is being torn up.