[comp.text.tex] Inclusion of dvips PostScipt output with dvips

smith@zeus.harvard.edu (Steven Smith) (12/15/90)

I would like to know how to include PostScript output from dvips in a
TeX file that will be processed by dvips.  (E.g., so that the output
of GFtoDVI can be included in a TeX file.)  I've played around by
deleting showpage commands, but have had no success.  Typically, the a
blank or half blank page is produced.  Does anyone know a way of
editing dvips's PostScript code so that it can be included in a TeX
file?

Steven Smith
smith@sandalphon.harvard.edu

jansteen@cwi.nl (Jan van der Steen) (12/15/90)

smith@zeus.harvard.edu (Steven Smith) writes:

>I would like to know how to include PostScript output from dvips in a
>TeX file that will be processed by dvips.  (E.g., so that the output
>of GFtoDVI can be included in a TeX file.)  I've played around by
>deleting showpage commands, but have had no success.  Typically, the a
>blank or half blank page is produced.  Does anyone know a way of
>editing dvips's PostScript code so that it can be included in a TeX
>file?

First of all, PostScript code can be included in many ways: e.g. with
the "\special{}" directive or using the dvips "epsf" mechanism.
Basically they are all the same but which one did you use?

Next, how many pages of output are produced by GFtoDVI? Inclusion of
PostScript normally allowes only one page (or less) at a time.
Splitting the dvips PostScript output into multiple PostScript files
containing only one page each might be tricky but it can be done.
If you need help with this please let me know.

Finally, dvips uses a dictionary called "TeXDict" as its working space
(to store its PostScript functions and parameters). I'm not 100% sure
about this but it seems possible that the included PostScript is
interfering with the underlying dictionary.
To test this you could try to change the name of "TeXDict" in the
included PostScript file by replacing it with e.g. "TeXDict2".

One of the above remarks might give you a clue how to solve your problem.

	Jan van der Steen

     Jan van der Steen                 jansteen@cwi.nl
     Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI)

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (12/16/90)

You need the documentation
for the \special command for your particular dvips.
There are several different versions dvips, dvi2ps, dvi3ps,
etc running around.