[comp.text.tex] TeXhax Digest V90 #075

TeXhax@CS.WASHINGTON.EDU (TeXhax Digest) (12/20/90)

TeXhax Digest    Wednesday,  December 19, 1990  Volume 90 : Issue 075

Moderators: Tiina Modisett and Pierre MacKay

%%% The TeXhax digest is brought to you as a service of the TeX Users Group %%%
%%%       in cooperation with the UnixTeX distribution service at the       %%%
%%%                      University of Washington                           %%%

Today's Topics:

%%Moderator`s note: We`ve received a number of messages recently asking
%%why certain submissions have not appeared in the Digest. If you haven`t
%%seen your submission appear (and it predates the articles that follow),
%%PLEASE RESEND IT. We haven`t edited it out of existence, but it seems
%%that the mailer did.
%%On the same subject, we apologise to those of you who received up to
%%three copies of the last Digest. There was a problem during the send
%%which apparently generated multiple copies.

              [rjlin@cs.pitt.edu: Need Help in Retrieving TeX]
            Re: [rjlin@cs.pitt.edu: Need Help in Retrieving TeX]
         ftp and kermit -- further info [reply to rjlin@cs.pitt.edu]
                   Trees and bipartite graphs in LaTeX
                          Source for detex
                         A nice macro trick.
           Help with hyphenation in Portuguese or French.
                     Feynman diagrams in LaTeX
                    LaTeX cross-reference query
                    Previewer for Openwindows?
                 Help with ftp -- (from INFO-TeX)
         DVItoVDU needs PXL fonts? (can't mail to decus-tex, nor ted)
                   TeX help-equation positioning
                     Postscript to TeX or DVI

Date: Fri, 7 Dec 90 02:14:15 EST
From: Anand Mehta <amehta@HEIFETZ.MIT.EDU>
Subject: [rjlin@cs.pitt.edu: Need Help in Retrieving TeX]

Can anyone help this person?

From: Ruey-Jiann Lin <rjlin@cs.pitt.edu>
To: latex-help@sumex-aim.stanford.edu

Happy Holiday,

I need a copy of TeX typesetting system URGENTLY.
This is to request your help and advice regarding FTP.

Currently I can access my UNIX account in Pittsburgh
by run Procomm on my PC, then dial to CSUNET at home
(Cal State Univ network, by the way I am visting San jose).
After connect to CSUNET I can use Telnet remote loggin
to my account in Pittsburgh. Unfortunately, there is no
FTP on CSUNET. On my account I can retrieve the TeX
executable via FTP. The retrieved files (in binary format)
need to be saved on my account temporarily. Next I start up
Kermit on UNIX and transfer the files to my hard disk via
telephone line. Two problems: (1) the transmission speedy
is extremely slow, (2) ASCII file is O.K., but all binary
files retrieved can not be executed on my PC.

Can you give some suggestions in helping me solve the problem.
I guess what I need is a version of FTP for PC, correct?
If yes, where to get it?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ruey Lin
rjlin@speedy.cs.pitt.edu

Thanks!

	Anand

Date: Fri, 7 Dec 90 07:35:55 CST
From: max@nic.gac.edu (Max Hailperin)
Subject: Re: [rjlin@cs.pitt.edu: Need Help in Retrieving TeX]

You don't need FTP for the PC.  FTP followed by kermit should work.  Here
are three possible trouble spots:
 1) The binary you are retrieving might not be a PC binary.  Probably you
    wouldn't be so naive, but I remember someone retrieving a DEC-20 .EXE
    file once, assuming that if it had the .EXE extension it had to be ok.
 2) You might not have had the correct mode set for the FTP transfer.  You
    don't say where you were FTPing from.  Assuming it was another Unix
    machine, the appropriate FTP mode would be IMAGE (aka binary 8).  If
    it was a PDP10 family machine (e.g. DECSystem 20) you probably need
    the special "Tenex" mode.
 3) You might not have used the correct Kermit mode.  Again, you want
    to make sure Kermit knows you are transfering a binary file.

Assuming all of the above are done right, I've never had any problem with
the FTP followed by Kermit method.  Let me know how it goes.

Date: Fri, 7 Dec 90 09:26 CDT
From: U2591AA@VMS.UCC.OKSTATE.EDU
Subject: ftp and kermit -- further info [reply to rjlin@cs.pitt.edu]

If I could follow up Max's advice on file transfer with some more
particulars on both ftp and kermit:

1. First, some particular advice on ftp.  When you get ready to transfer
   a binary file, you must first type the word "binary" to the ftp prompt
   (without the quote marks).  Then when you get a file, ftp will know to
   treat it as a binary file.

2. Second, some particular advice on kermit.  When you first run kermit
   on your pc, you must type the command

   MS-DOS Kermit> set file type binary

   (You only have to type the last four words -- I included the prompt to
    make it clear which computer you are doing this on.)

   Then when you run kermit on the unix machine, you type the same command
   (shown with the prompt for unix kermit)

   C-Kermit> set file type binary

   Now when you send and receive a file (or use the server), both kermits
   will know to treat the files as binary files.

3. About the speed of kermit -- there is not much you can do.  In the file
   transfer game there are tradeoffs between speed and reliability.  Kermit
   is rock solid reliable.  It is also slow.  There is one thing you can
   try if you have very good phone lines and if you have very recent versions
   of kermit on both your pc and on the unix machine.  You can request
   extended length packets via a command (given below).  Again, You must make
   the request to the kermit process on both machines.  Here's how you do it.

   MS-DOS Kermit> SET SEND PACKET-LENGTH 1000
   MS-DOS Kermit> SET RECEIVE PACKET-LENGTH 1000
   MS-DOS Kermit> SET BLOCK-CHECK 3

   and on the unix machine

   C-Kermit> SET SEND PACKET-LENGTH 1000
   C-Kermit> SET RECEIVE PACKET-LENGTH 1000
   C-Kermit> SET BLOCK-CHECK 3

   If either kermit issues a warning that extended length packets are not
   supported, you should just forget about all this and find something to
   do while the transfers take place.  If both kermits do support extended
   length packets, you should monitor the number of times kermit must retry
   to send a packet.  Each retry indicates kermit discovered some error and
   had to resend the packet.  If there are lots of these, it will be much
   safer (and perhaps faster) to go back to the short (94 byte) packets.

Good luck.

Scott McCullough                     u2591aa@vms.ucc.okstate.edu
Dept. of Physics
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, OK 74078

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 90 11:07:55 -0800
From: isozaki <isozaki@penguin.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Trees and bipartite graphs in LaTeX

	I submitted two style files for node&edge graphs
to Clarkson archive. One is for trees, and the other is
for bipartite graphs. And they depend on epic/eepic.
You can find them as nodeedge.shar in pub/tex/latex-style.

Hideki ISOZAKI
Stanford Univ. and NTT Basic Research Labs.

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 90 11:41:10 EST
From: henne@guinness.ias.edu (Leslie R. Henne)
Subject: Source for detex

We were wondering if you know where we could get hold of the source code for
a utility called detex (it takes a TeX document and removes everything but the
original ascii text; useful for spell checkers).  We have an old version of
the utility, but have been upgrading our SunOS to 4.1 and above, and it now
does not work for us.  We would be much obliged to get hold of it.

Thank you for your help,

Leslie Henne
Sun Computer Support
Institute for Advanced Study
Princeton, NJ

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 90 15:51:20 +0100
From: maavl@cwi.nl
Subject: A nice macro trick.

In texhax V90 #073 Jim Van Zandt mentioned a problem which can be formulated
as follows: a macro is invoked at some point followed by some text without
punctuation, then a list of items each preceded by a comma, and then a period.
The problem is to isolate the initial text in such a way that it also works
if the list of following items is empty, i.e., if there are no commas at all.
There are obvious solutions to this, but I stumbled across a very slick one.
Let the macro be \mainmac, then define

\def\mainmac#1.{\auxmac#1,,,.}
\def\auxmac#1,#2,,#3.{\action{#1}#3#2}

and \action will get the isolated text as argument. To be honest, the trick
assumes that, although the list itself may be empty, it contains no empty
items (i.e., there are no two consecutive commas). Then because of
the insertion by \mainmac of a triplet of commas before the period, the
text to be isolated is now always followed by a comma, and there is always a
pair of consecutive commas left so that \auxmac cannot fail to match.
The nice part however is that we do not need to test if #2 is empty
(by \def\next{#2}\ifx\next\empty) because #3 will be either empty or a single
comma, and inserting it before #2 restores the list of items in all cases
(in a sense, this is due to the law of conservation of commas). These macros
can even be used in an "expand only" context such as \message or \edef.
Obviously, the same idea can be used in case of other separator/terminator
pairs.
					-- Marc van Leeuwen

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 90 12:54:31 GMT
From: Carlos Lourenco <CARLOS%UXLIPL.LIP.RCCN.PT@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Help with hyphenation in Portuguese or French.

I am using TeX to write texts in the PORTUGUESE language and,
most of the time, the words are incorrectly hyphenated. I am
not a TeXnician, although I use TeX quite often, and I don't
know how to make a portuguese version of the hyphenation
algorithm, paterns and so on.

Since portuguese is quite similar to french, it would be quite
an improvement to have a french version, in case there is no
portuguese one.

Another alternative would be to turn off the ``english specific"
part of the hyphenation algorithm. I guess that if the portuguese
words would be hyphenated at random places, things would not be
worst than they are now.

I have tryed to solve this problem for some frequent words, in an
exceptional way, by using \hyphenation but I can't use that with
accented words... Is there an alternative to, for example,

\hyphenation{ma-te-m\'a-ti-ca}

which gives an error... (apart from \def\mat{ma-te-m\'a-ti-ca} and
always use \mat in the text...

Carlos Louren\c{c}o

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 90 12:31:08 GMT
From: Carlos Lourenco <CARLOS%UXLIPL.LIP.RCCN.PT@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Feynman diagrams in LaTeX

The package FEYNMAN DIAGRAMS IN LATEX was produced by
Michael LeVine, who (I believe) is now working at CERN,
the European Particle Physics Lab.
I have the code in my CERNVM account, and I can send it
to you, but I think the proper way to proceed would be to
contact the author. The code is quite good and it deserves
being in a ``Public Library of TeX / LaTeX macros", in case
there is such a thing.

Carlos Lourenco

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 90 06:55 EDT
From: HEFFERON%SMCVAX.BITNET@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: LaTeX cross-reference query

> keep getting re-LaTeX as cross-refs changed (vol 90, num 71)
  I've gotten into the same bind and found it was from using an
&LPLAIN from one place with a LATEX.TEX from another (we use two
different vendors here---perhaps my files were dated differently).
  Try returning to square one and rebuild.
      jim hefferon

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 08:17:11 MST
From: bernat@haleakala.cs.ep.utexas.edu (Andrew Bernat)
Subject: Previewer for Openwindows?

Can someone point me to a previewer for Openwindows (Sun's version of
Openlook GUI for X)?  Public domain preferred, naturally.  Or a change
file for XTeX?

Thanks,

Andrew Bernat
Computer Science Department		abernat@haleakala.cs.ep.utexas.edu
The University of Texas at El Paso	915/747-5470 voice
El Paso, Texas  79968-0518		915/747-5616 fax

Date: Fri, 07 Dec 1990 14:45:15 CST
From: bed_gdg%SHSUODIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (George D. Greenwade)
Subject: Help with ftp -- (from INFO-TeX)

For those of you not on INFO-TeX, I extracted the ftp question and placed it on
INFO-TeX@SHSU.BITNET.  Max placed his answer on both forums, as well as to the
original poster.  INFO-TeX also had this reply from Ken Selvia which I thought
was worth sharing since some of you may not know about either the SIMTEL20
archives or the mirror nodes.

I am shamelessly posting back to one of the LaTeX-help lines advertising
INFO-TeX!!  Sorry; this may be the last time, but this group clearly knows what
is going on and would be of benefit as (and hopefully benefit from being)
subscribers to of INFO-TeX.  To subscribe to INFO-TeX, send a one-line MAIL
message to LISTSERV@SHSU.BITNET with the one-line message SUBSCRIBE INFO-TeX.
To those of you who have subscribed -- thanks! - we are now 114 strong and
growing.

Regards,   George D. Greenwade
% ------------------------ from INFO-TeX@SHSU.BITNET ------------------------
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 1990 09:22:14 CST
From: ucs_kas@SHSU.BITNET (Ken Selvia x3547)
To: rjlin@cs.pitt.edu, info-tex@shsu
CC: ucs_kas@SHSU.BITNET
Subject: RE: Help with ftp of TeX on PSs -- (from LaTeX-help)

The archives at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil (26.0.0.74) contain TeX for PC's.
If you can not reliably use FTP, the BITNET nodes RPIECS and NDSUVM1 mirror
the archives at SIMTEL20.  These two BITNET sites will break large files down
into mail size uuencoded files and mail you any file you request.
To get the TeX package send the following message to LISTSERV@RPIECS (or
LISTSERV@NDSUVM1)

/PDGET PD1:<MSDOS.TEX>DOSTEX1.ARC (UUE
/PDGET PD1:<MSDOS.TEX>DOSTEX2.ARC (UUE
/PDGET PD1:<MSDOS.TEX>DOSTEX3.ARC (UUE
/PDGET PD1:<MSDOS.TEX>DOSTEX4.ARC (UUE
/PDGET PD1:<MSDOS.TEX>DOSTEX5.ARC (UUE
/PDGET PD1:<MSDOS.TEX>DOSTEX6.ARC (UUE

You may have to send one or two requests per day over a few day period because
you are limited to 300k per day.   You can also use both systems to speed the
process.

You will need uudecode and pkxarc (or arc) to recreate the origional
distribution files.

To see the files available on simtel20, send the following command:

/PDDIR PD1:<MSDOS.*>

That will get you a list of files updated in the last 30 days.  One of those
files will be the archive listing which you can request if you want a complete
list of the files stored on simtel20.

Regards, Ken

Kenneth Selvia              Internet : ucs_kas%shsu.bitnet@utadnx.cc.utexas.edu
Programmer Analyst II          BITNET : UCS_KAS@SHSU.BITNET
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, TX 77341                    [I have no opinions. I make no claims]

Date: Fri, 7 Dec 1990 16:34 MST
From: Pete Klammer 303/556-3915 <PKLAMMER@cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu>
Subject: DVItoVDU needs PXL fonts? (can't mail to decus-tex, nor ted)

[... all I want to know is: ...]

In the recent DECUS TeX v3.0 distribution, there is a DVItoVDU which has
options /VDU=Tektronix and /VDU=VTTEK, which look like they might support
MS-KERMIT previewing on a PC!

But I get an error message
        "couldn't open dummy font TEX_PXLDIR:CMR10.1500PXL0]C"
.. which is strange with the ']', but TEX_PXLDIR is not defined either,
and DIR [...]*.*PXL* doesn't find any such files anyway.

Any assistance appreciated.

poko "Eesti vabaks/free Estonia!" Pete Klammer (303)556-3915 FAX(303)556-4822
CU-Denver Computing Services, AHEC Box#169   /         PKLAMMER@CUDENVER.bitnet
1200 Larimer St, NC2506, Denver CO 80204   /   {uucp...}!boulder!pikes!pklammer
P.O. Box 173364, Denver CO 80217-3364    /  pklammer@cudnvr.Denver.Colorado.EDU

Date:     Fri, 7 Dec 1990 14:02 CST
From: DONNA@swri.space.swri.edu
Subject:  TeX help-equation positioning

I have a question concerning TeX.  It involves an equation that is
rather lengthy and the positioning of the equation number.  If anyone
can help me, please let me know, so I can send a file with the information.
My E-mail address is on SPAN network.  Thank you.

Date:     05 DEC 90 11:00:12 CST
From: MUHAMMAD KHAN              <KHANM%USMCP6@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject:  Postscript to TeX or DVI

Friends:
Does anyone know of a Postscript to TeX or DVI converter?
This will allow me to print files formatted in different
wordprocessors to printers dedicated to TeX on our system.
Thanks.
M. Amjad Khan
khanm@usmcp6.BITNET

M. AMJAD KHAN  <KHANM@USMCP6.BITNET>

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU          TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nnn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nnn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest