[comp.text.tex] dviscr from emTeX

soulard@fantasio.inria.fr (Herve Soulard) (12/18/90)

I've installed emTeX and have tried to use the previewer. I got only one problem, it does not work with pk files. What happens is that it does not expand the $s or $r in the path used to find the files. But, with librairies it works great. So you can tell me : use librairies, sorry I say no because I need pk files for use with dvips54.

Is it a known bug, a bad use from me, or ???

		Herve Soulard.

eln272v@monu1.cc.monash.oz ( r lang) (12/19/90)

In article <1807@seti.inria.fr>, soulard@fantasio.inria.fr (Herve Soulard) writes:
> I've installed emTeX and have tried to use the previewer.
> I got only one problem, it does not work with pk files.
> What happens is that it does not expand the $s or $r in the path used
> to find the files.
dviscr does expand the $s or $r, but be careful with using batch files.
V.BAT is a batch file, and MSDOS doesn't like the characters = and ; in
batch file arguments.  If you tried something like the following:
  v /pf=c:\emtex\pixel.lj\$rdpi
  v /pf.;c:\emtex\pixel.lj\$rdpi
it is unlikely to work.  There is a warning about this in DVIDRV.DOC.
Yes, I got caught by this a few months ago.

> So you can tell me : use librairies, sorry I say no because
> I need pk files for use with dvips54.
No you don't.  I added the font library support in dvips 5.4.
Read dvips/pc/README.pc

--
Russell Lang   Email: rjl@monu1.cc.monash.edu.au   Phone: (03) 565 3460
Department of Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) (12/21/90)

In article <1807@seti.inria.fr> soulard@fantasio.inria.fr (Herve Soulard) writes:

>I've installed emTeX and have tried to use the previewer. I got only
one problem, it does not work with pk files. What happens is that it
does not expand the $s or $r in the path used to find the files. But,
with librairies it works great. So you can tell me : use librairies,
sorry I say no because I need pk files for use with dvips54.

Dear Herve,

There is nothing wrong with emTeX's dviscr.  Keep trying.  Probably
your configuration file has references to font library files.  Comment
these references out.  I have used dviscr extensively with PK files,
so I can guarantee that it does manage just fine.  Here is a configuration
file that I have used with no problems:
% dviscr.cnf
/pf=c:\tex\pixel\dpi$r
/r=300
%/sy2
/-
/h11.69in
/w8.25in
/pt
/fl-1
/v0

There is another thing, though.  The DOS version of dvips54 can read emTeX
font library files. It can also understand several of the emTeX \special
macros.  So you can use it seamlessly with the rest of emTeX.

Dominik