[comp.text.tex] Online list of AMS Subject Classifications?

ms361@leah.albany.edu (Mark Steinberger) (12/21/90)

In article <WVENABLE.90Dec21091439@spam.ua.oz.au> wvenable@spam.ua.oz.au (Bill Venables) writes:
>In article <SQUASH.90Dec20122935@zeta.math.ufl.edu> squash@math.ufl.edu
>(Jonathan King) writes:
>>   Is there a computer readable list of the AMS classification numbers

>>   This question is probably not of burning net interest -you may wish
>>   to reply.

>On the contrary I think there may be considerable interest.  I for one
>would find such an electronic list very useful indeed.  Does such exist?

I agree. It would also be incredibly easy to do: I've been told that
the AMS keeps tex source files for all its journals. Surely it would
be possible to clip out the subject classification from Math Reviews
and archive it at one of the ftp sites.

Is there anyone from the AMS on line here? Could this be done?

Would one of the tex archive sites volunteer space? Or somebody else?

I guarantee there's be lots of grateful mathematicians.

--Mark