[comp.text.tex] "Latest" emTeX version/dist update

bateman@nsslsun.gcn.uoknor.edu (Monte Bateman) (12/31/90)

In article <53183@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> mdeck@acsu.buffalo.edu (Mary Deck) writes:
>In article <9012281657.AA22575@lilac.berkeley.edu> KNAPPEN@VKPMZD.Physik.Uni-Mainz.DE writes:
>>There is an english documentation available now. The version on TERMINATOR
>>is no longer the most recent one. You can get the most recent emTeX
>>including documentaion from the Ymir.
>
>Hmmmm....  I looked on ymir and couldn't find it.  Do you have a dir
>spec for that?  Thanks.....

Look in "[ANONYMOUS.TEX.IBM_PC.TEX.EMTEX.DISKn]
   (where "n" = [1-6] ).

Monte Bateman
WB5RZX @ WB5RZX
bateman @ nsslsun.gcn.uoknor.edu
National Severe Storms Laboratory, Norman, OK!  73069

nmouawad@watmath.waterloo.edu (Naji Mouawad) (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec31.094407.175@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> bateman@nsslsun.gcn.uoknor.edu (Monte Bateman) writes:
>In article <53183@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> mdeck@acsu.buffalo.edu (Mary Deck) writes:
>>In article <9012281657.AA22575@lilac.berkeley.edu> KNAPPEN@VKPMZD.Physik.Uni-Mainz.DE writes:
>>>There is an english documentation available now. The version on TERMINATOR
>>>is no longer the most recent one. You can get the most recent emTeX
>>>including documentaion from the Ymir.
>>
>>Hmmmm....  I looked on ymir and couldn't find it.  Do you have a dir
>>spec for that?  Thanks.....
>>

>Look in "[ANONYMOUS.TEX.IBM_PC.TEX.EMTEX.DISKn]
>   (where "n" = [1-6] ).
>
>Monte Bateman
>WB5RZX @ WB5RZX
>bateman @ nsslsun.gcn.uoknor.edu
>National Severe Storms Laboratory, Norman, OK!  73069

Okay, so what's the scoop ? Is this latest version a major upgrade
or what ? Sorry if this has been asked before (I haven't
seen any related discussion passing by ...) but could someone post
a note about the current version of emtex ? Also, I seem to remember
now someone mentionning "old .fli" versus "new .fli" ... I can
see a big 'but' (no pun intended) comming along ... so, please,
any comment would be 'beaucoup', 'tres', very very apprecie ...

Thanks.

--Naji.
    | Naji Mouawad  |          nmouawad@watmath.waterloo.edu            |
    |  University   |---------------------------------------------------|
    | Of Waterloo   |   "The Stranger in us is our most familiar Self"  |

xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) (01/01/91)

I would like to tell my experience with ftp'ing emTeX.

I ftp'ed emTeX from terminator [see full address below] and was later
told by the author Mattes [see full name below] that the dvihplj had a
bug so I ftp'ed again from the terminator [disk3, see below]. But the
dvihplj was the same. So I ftp'ed the dvihplj from Germany node [see
full description below]. But it did not cooperate with other files I
ftp'ed from terminator. For one thing, the font library on .de was
different from terminator. I ended up w/ replacing the whole disk1 and
disk3 from terminator by the the ones from .de and of course all the
font files from .de and that works fine.

The conclusion is it is always safe to ftp emTeX from author's node. And
I would strongly suggest that people in charge of ftp sites for emTeX
keep track the changes in the auther's node.

PS: Raymond's info:

emTeX           rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de
                129.69.1.12             /soft/tex/emtex

emTeX           terminator.cc.umich.edu msdos/text-mgmt/TeX/emtex/disk[1-6]
                msdos.archive.umich.edu version 13.08.90
                35.1.33.8               get emtex.README before beginning.
                ^^^^^^^^^
                          The IP code has changed. I would suggest Raymond to
                          update this.

    emTeX is a full TeX implementation, with previewer, LaTeX, METAFONT,
    lots of printer drivers, etc. For MS-DOS and OS/2.
    By Eberhard Mattes (mattes@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de)