[comp.text.tex] Possible to Rotate

wmorgan@stsci.EDU (Windsor A. Morgan) (01/03/91)

Is it (easily?) possible to take a long (horizontally) table and
rotate so that it fits on one page?  The table in question is longer
than 8.5 inches but shorter than 11 inches.
--
'Verily, there be no leader as wise as the Vision!'
                      Windsor Morgan (morgan@astro.psu.edu OR NHT@PSUVM.BITNET)

xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) (01/03/91)

In article <2170@nemesis.stsci.edu> wmorgan@cygnus.stsci.edu.UUCP (Windsor A. Morgan) writes:
*
* Is it (easily?) possible to take a long (horizontally) table and
* rotate so that it fits on one page?  The table in question is longer
* than 8.5 inches but shorter than 11 inches.

Yes it is possible. But I don't think it can done within TeX or LaTeX.
It is dvips or dvi_whatever's job. I guess you have to check the dvi
driver's [or texprint's] option in your system. emTeX's dvihplj
provides an option of /tr1 to do this. We have such option for texprint
command on both unix and vax/vms system here at SUNY-Buffalo, but they
are product specific.

riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) (01/03/91)

In article <53294@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:
>In article <2170@nemesis.stsci.edu> wmorgan@cygnus.stsci.edu.UUCP (Windsor A. Morgan) writes:
>*
>* Is it (easily?) possible to take a long (horizontally) table and
>* rotate so that it fits on one page?  The table in question is longer
>* than 8.5 inches but shorter than 11 inches.
>
>Yes it is possible. But I don't think it can done within TeX or LaTeX.
>It is dvips or dvi_whatever's job. I guess you have to check the dvi
etc
It is possible within LaTeX - I just did it this weekend.  Get the file
portland.sty and follow the instructions within the file itself.  I found
it at the Clarkson archives, I believe.   Carl Riehm.

sommer@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU (01/03/91)

>>* Is it (easily?) possible to take a long (horizontally) table and
>>* rotate so that it fits on one page?
>It is possible within LaTeX - I just did it this weekend.  Get the file
>portland.sty and follow the instructions within the file itself.  I found
>it at the Clarkson archives, I believe.   Carl Riehm.

I used rotate.tex in a LaTeX document (had to use \input{rotate}; trying to
use rotate.sty as a style option failed). I got rotate.tex, rotate.sty,
and samples from either Clarkson or Claremont, I forget which.

I could rotate some small test tables, but couldn't get them centered. I
tried \begin{center} [table] \end{center}; \hfill [table] \hfill; etc. Any
help please?
                              --------------
                              | regular    |
                              |  table     |
                              | (centered) |
                              --------------

_______________
| r   t  n  c |
| o   a  o  e |
| t   b  t  n |   I want this
| a   l     t |  ------------->  here
| t   e     e |        over
| e         r |
| d         d |
---------------

sommer@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU (01/05/91)

>>>* Is it (easily?) possible to take a long (horizontally) table and
>>>* rotate so that it fits on one page?
>>It is possible within LaTeX - I just did it this weekend.  Get the file
>>portland.sty and follow the instructions within the file itself.  I found
>>it at the Clarkson archives, I believe.   Carl Riehm.

>I used rotate.tex in a LaTeX document [...]
>I could rotate some small test tables, but couldn't get them centered.
>Help please?

The solution to my psfig question was also the solution to my rotated
tables question. Thus, to center a rotated entity with rotate.tex, use the
TeX command \centerline, NOT the LaTeX \begin{center} ... \end{center}
environment. Works great! (Easy, too.)

[...]
\newbox\rotbox
\setbox\rotbox=\hbox{%
(STUFF TO BE ROTATED, including tables, HERE}
\centerline{\rotl\rotbox }
[...]