[comp.text.tex] Where are "texsun" and "texx"?

jumper@spf.trw.com (Greg Jumper) (01/04/91)

According to the latest TUGboat, the DVI previewers called "texsun" and
"texx" are available via ftp from "cs.uiuc.edu".  However, I just looked
on that host and was unable to locate them.

Does anybody know where these previewers can be found?

                                       Thanks,

                                       Greg Jumper
                                       TRW Data Systems Center

                                       jumper@spf.trw.com

mwette@mr-ed.jpl.nasa.gov (Matt Wette) (01/05/91)

In article <2783DB48.24C4@deneva.sdd.trw.com>, jumper@spf.trw.com (Greg Jumper) writes:

|> According to the latest TUGboat, the DVI previewers called "texsun" and
|> "texx" are available via ftp from "cs.uiuc.edu".  However, I just looked
|> on that host and was unable to locate them.
|>
|> Does anybody know where these previewers can be found?

On the west coast, gatekeeper.dec.com in
 ~ftp/pub/X11/contrib/SeeTeX-1.16.1.tar.Z.
On the east coast, try expo.lcs.mit.edu.

Incidentally, xtex, which is also included, is superior to texx.

 Matthew R. Wette           | Jet Propulsion Laboratory, 198-326
 mwette@csi.jpl.nasa.gov    | 4800 Oak Grove Dr, Pasadena,CA 91109

lubkt@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (01/08/91)

In article <1991Jan4.222930.16784@jato.jpl.nasa.gov>, mwette@mr-ed.jpl.nasa.gov (Matt Wette) writes:
> In article <2783DB48.24C4@deneva.sdd.trw.com>, jumper@spf.trw.com (Greg Jumper) writes:
> |>
> |> According to the latest TUGboat, the DVI previewers called "texsun" and
> |> "texx" are available via ftp from "cs.uiuc.edu".  However, I just looked
> |> on that host and was unable to locate them.
> |>
> |> Does anybody know where these previewers can be found?
> |>
> On the west coast, gatekeeper.dec.com in
>  ~ftp/pub/X11/contrib/SeeTeX-1.16.1.tar.Z.
> On the east coast, try expo.lcs.mit.edu.
>
> Incidentally, xtex, which is also included, is superior to texx.

But xtex does  not display dvi  files in  proportionate fonts. I  have
created all the fonts for xtex using  MetaFont 2.0  (i.e., base 85 and
its \magstep   multiples), but xtex   still  displays   everything  in
typewriter fonts with a lot of overlapping characters. I  like the way
xtex manages files, and its control panels are very convenient to use,
but I feel its display quality is quite poor when compared to texx (or
texsun under SunView). Is this correct or am I missing something?

/Binod.
--------------------
Binod Taterway				LUBKT@vax1.CC.Lehigh.EDU
User Consultant				bt00@PL118a.CC.Lehigh.EDU
Lehigh University, Beth, PA.
(215) 758-3984.

bradley@sp1.csrd.uiuc.edu (David K. Bradley) (01/08/91)

Try a.cs.uiuc.edu instead of cs.uiuc.edu.

--
	David Bradley                bradley@csrd.uiuc.edu
	Center for Supercomputing Research and Development

kthompso@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Kevin Thompson) (01/08/91)

In article <141.27886036@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu> lubkt@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu writes:
>In article <1991Jan4.222930.16784@jato.jpl.nasa.gov>, mwette@mr-ed.jpl.nasa.gov (Matt Wette) writes:

>But xtex does  not display dvi  files in  proportionate fonts. I  have
>created all the fonts for xtex using  MetaFont 2.0  (i.e., base 85 and
>its \magstep   multiples), but xtex   still  displays   everything  in
>typewriter fonts with a lot of overlapping characters. I  like the way
>xtex manages files, and its control panels are very convenient to use,
>but I feel its display quality is quite poor when compared to texx (or
>texsun under SunView). Is this correct or am I missing something?

Uh, this isn't a very helpful post on my part, since I installed xtex over a
year ago, but I don't think what you say here is true; xtex does just fine
with fonts in my experience.  I've found that it gets lost with fonts if it
can't find the exact one it wants, but you should really check into what
fonts it's looking for, where they are, whether xtex and your server know
where to find them, etc.  I just couldn't stand your slandering xtex, it's
a nice program :).

Kevin Thompson
--
kthompso@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov     NASA-Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA

stolcke@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU (Andreas Stolcke) (01/09/91)

In article <FISCHER.91Jan8114103@thiele.iesd.auc.dk>, fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) writes:
|> Hmm. xtex does not use pk or gf fonts. Instead, you transform the
|> 85dpi fonts into native X fonts (bdf format). There a script to do
|> that. When you have the X fonts, you store them somewhere and use xset
|> to tell the X server where to look, i.e.:
|> When you have done as above, xtex provides a good quality as any other
|> previewer I know of, and as a bonus it *fast*.

I'm surprised nobody in this thread has mentioned xdvi.  we also have
xtex, but IMHO the necessity of maintaining a second set of fonts just
for xtex is a real inconvenience, especially if you have a lot of non-standard
local fonts being used with TeX.  xdvi uses pk fonts directly, and as far
as I can tell without any penalty in display quality and speed.
I doesn't have any fancy widget interface but a lot of functionality
activated by simple one-key command, which makes it very efficient to use.

[xdvi is available from expo.lcs.mit.edu in directory contrib.]

--
Andreas Stolcke					stolcke@icsi.berkeley.edu
International Computer Science Institute	stolcke@ucbicsi.bitnet