[comp.text.tex] Making \thebibliography a section

plaut@sc2a.unige.ch (01/15/91)

In article <EbYRRo_00WB9IA0Wc1@andrew.cmu.edu>, jl3j+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Robert Leavitt) writes:
> Folks-
>
> I would like very very much to make it so that the thebibliorgaphy
> environment in article.sty makes "References" by using \section and not
> \section*.  I tried just copying article.sty and making the change there,
> but I get the following error:
>
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [parameter stack size=60].
> \@mkboth #1#2->
>                \gdef \@themark {{#1}{#2}}{\let \protect \noexpand \let \labe...
>
> \@themark ...nces\@mkboth {REFERENCES}{REFERENCES}
>                                                   }}{}
> \@mkboth #1#2->\gdef \@themark
>                                {{#1}{#2}}{\let \protect \noexpand \let \labe...

You could try to take the \markboth command out of the \section command
in the article.sty:

\def\thebibliography#1{\section{References}
 \markboth{REFERENCES}{REFERENCES}
 \list
 {[\arabic{enumi}]}{\settowidth\labelwidth{[#1]}\leftmargin\labelwidth
 \advance\leftmargin\labelsep
 \usecounter{enumi}}
 \def\newblock{\hskip .11em plus .33em minus -.07em}
 \sloppy
 \sfcode`\.=1000\relax}
\let\endthebibliography=\endlist

It works ! Don't ask me why. There are some other ugly
possibilities, such as deleting the word 'References' in
article.sty and just put a space instead and then to
put a normal \section{References} in your source file.

| Olivier Plaut. University of Geneva.      Geneva, Switzerland |
| INTERNET: plaut@sc2a.unige.ch         BITNET:  plaut@cgeuge52 |