[net.space] Terraforming? Astroforming! --> rogue-planet way stations

REM%MIT-MC@sri-unix.UUCP (02/07/84)

From:  Robert Elton Maas <REM @ MIT-MC>

Boy am I behind in mail reading, I haven't even seen this message that
has been sitting in my inbox for weeks, much less reply to it:
    Date: 6 Jan 1984 9:53-PST
    From: dietz%usc-cse%USC-ECL@SRI-NIC
    There is reason to believe that star formation also leads to the
    formation of small bodies -- essentially independent gas giants.  Such
    rogue planets could be very close to the earth, perhaps only fractions
    of a light year away.
Hmmm, if there are enough of these, they could be used as intersteller
way stations, having a source of materials already there instead of
having to import materials from the nearest star&planetary system (the
Solar System initially). So then all we'd need is a built-in source of
energy for processing the materials into useful fuels and foodstuffs,
or a technology for using the materials as fuel (if it's hydrogen, we
know how to make hydrogen bombs, which if contained can be used as a
quick&very-dirty nuclear power plant).

If we can locate these potential way stations, perhaps the first
interstellar travelers will be able to travel to one of them instead
of all the way to the nearest star, and thus eliminate the
quantum-jump nature presumed for interstellar travel, eliminate the
generations-ship passed by later ships before it reaches its
destination. A 2000-vintage ship might be able to make it to one of
these rogue-planets in just a few years, set up an observatory for
sending back info that allows triangulation of not-so-nearby stars to
determine their distances accurately, and set up a comfortable
facility (restroom and fuel-supply) for later ships. Maybe even set up
a full scale habitat where billions of people can live.