[comp.text.tex] Correct format for psfig?

sommer@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU (01/03/91)

I've been trying to figure out psfig.sty, but there wasn't much
documentation. From psfig.sty itself:
% \psfig
% usage : \psfig{file=, height=, width=, bbllx=, bblly=, bburx=, bbury=,
%			rheight=, rwidth=, clip=}
% "clip=" is a switch and takes no value, but the `=' must be present.

My .ps files are all encapsulated PS with BoundingBox info.
In particular, I need to control a lot of figure heights.
\psfig{file=test1.ps} works fine. But \psfig{file=test1.ps, height=<len>}
messes up and my figures come out in the wrong places on the page and
scaled incorrectly. I've tried <len> = a number with no dimension; 2in;
150pt; etc. I've tried it with and without the ``='' (height 2in).
Sometimes <len> gets typeset in the figure box in my output!

What is the correct format to use for \psfig when trying to scale by
figure height?

Thanks in advance. (<-- Can I use \expandafter{Thank you}{Reply} for that?)

sommer@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU (01/05/91)

>What is the correct format to use for \psfig when trying to scale by
>figure height?

First, I thank everyone for helping with my \psfig problem, of which, it
turns out, there were actually two.

(1) spaces are not allowed in the argument of \psfig{...}
(2) use TeX \centerline{\psfig{ ... } } instead of LaTeX \begin{center}

(Even though \begin{center} \psfig{p1.ps} \end{center} WORKS
\begin{center} must be taking offense in the height part of \psfig.)

\psfig{p1.ps, height=2in} FAILS
\begin{center} \psfig{p1.ps,height=2in} \end{center} FAILS
\centerline{\psfig{p1.ps,height=2in}} WORKS

rig@eng.umd.edu (Ronald Greenberg) (01/18/91)

In article <00942389.81613420@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU> sommer@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU writes:
>>What is the correct format to use for \psfig when trying to scale by
>>figure height?
>
>First, I thank everyone for helping with my \psfig problem, of which, it
>turns out, there were actually two.
>
>(1) spaces are not allowed in the argument of \psfig{...}
>(2) use TeX \centerline{\psfig{ ... } } instead of LaTeX \begin{center}
>
>(Even though \begin{center} \psfig{p1.ps} \end{center} WORKS
>\begin{center} must be taking offense in the height part of \psfig.)
>
>\psfig{p1.ps, height=2in} FAILS
>\begin{center} \psfig{p1.ps,height=2in} \end{center} FAILS
>\centerline{\psfig{p1.ps,height=2in}} WORKS

I believe I once had this centering problem without using "height"
(but there were "bbllx", "bblly", ...).  The fix I used was
  \centering
  \mbox{\psfig{figure=foo,bbllx=...}}

The use of \centering versus the environment shouldn't be of relevance
to the issue under discussion, but the idea of putting the thing in an
\mbox may be a more general way to make things work when you use LaTeX
macros around it.
--

Ron Greenberg		rig@umiacs.umd.edu

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (01/19/91)

rig@eng.umd.edu (Ronald Greenberg) writes:

>In article <00942389.81613420@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU> sommer@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU writes:

>>(2) use TeX \centerline{\psfig{ ... } } instead of LaTeX \begin{center}

>The use of \centering versus the environment shouldn't be of relevance
>to the issue under discussion, but the idea of putting the thing in an
>\mbox may be a more general way to make things work when you use LaTeX
>macros around it.

The LaTeX \begin{center} environment is for centering paragraphs,
\psfig generates a box, which is not sufficient to start a paragraph,
therefore it is not centered. The author of psfig was aware of this
problem, but his repair (last time I looked at the macros)
was wrong. Basically you have to start a paragraph, which is done
by \mbox, because it contains \leavevmode.
You could also write \begin{center} \ \psfig{...
or \begin{center} \leavevmode\psfig{...

Victor.