[comp.text.tex] Chemistry and TeX

tclausen@vx.acs.umn.edu (THOMAS CLAUSEN) (01/17/91)

I'm a graduate student in chemistry and I'm preparing some manuscripts using
LaTeX.  I'm curious if anyone has prepared fonts or looked into putting
structural formulae into TeX documents.  I can think of one way to do it
by using a \special command to put raw Postscript images into the document,
but I would like an all TeX solution.  Any ideas or thoughts?

jg@prg.ox.ac.uk (Jeremy Gibbons) (01/18/91)

tclausen@vx.acs.umn.edu (THOMAS CLAUSEN) writes

> I'm a graduate student in chemistry and I'm preparing some manuscripts using
> LaTeX.  I'm curious if anyone has prepared fonts or looked into putting
> structural formulae into TeX documents.

I believe there's an article in the TeXeter 88 proceedings, edited by Malcolm
Clark. Perhaps someone out there has a copy and can confirm?

*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*
|  Jeremy Gibbons (jg@uk.ac.oxford.prg)   Funky Monkey Multimedia Corp  |
*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (01/19/91)

jg@prg.ox.ac.uk (Jeremy Gibbons) writes:

>tclausen@vx.acs.umn.edu (THOMAS CLAUSEN) writes

>> I'm a graduate student in chemistry and I'm preparing some manuscripts using
>> LaTeX.  I'm curious if anyone has prepared fonts or looked into putting
>> structural formulae into TeX documents.

>I believe there's an article in the TeXeter 88 proceedings, edited by Malcolm
>Clark. Perhaps someone out there has a copy and can confirm?

Yep. That's the Chemstruct macro package, which is publicly available.
But I don't have it. Maybe it's in Heidelberg?
Send a msg 'send listserv filelist' to listserv@dhdurz1.bitnet
to find out. There's a lot of goodies on that server.

Victor.

plaut@sc2a.unige.ch (01/21/91)

In article <1991Jan18.230532.19613@csrd.uiuc.edu>, eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) writes:
> jg@prg.ox.ac.uk (Jeremy Gibbons) writes:
>
>>tclausen@vx.acs.umn.edu (THOMAS CLAUSEN) writes
>
>>> I'm a graduate student in chemistry and I'm preparing some manuscripts using
>>> LaTeX.  I'm curious if anyone has prepared fonts or looked into putting
>>> structural formulae into TeX documents.
>
>>I believe there's an article in the TeXeter 88 proceedings, edited by Malcolm
>>Clark. Perhaps someone out there has a copy and can confirm?
>
> Yep. That's the Chemstruct macro package, which is publicly available.
> But I don't have it. Maybe it's in Heidelberg?
> Send a msg 'send listserv filelist' to listserv@dhdurz1.bitnet
> to find out. There's a lot of goodies on that server.
>
> Victor.

That's true, but I find ChemTeX better than Chemstruct.
ChemTeX is available at texserv@tex.aston.ac.uk, as described
in article "Supplementary TeX information", which was posted
on this net.

ChemTeX         uk.ac.aston.tex         macros for chemical structure
                                        diagrams, by Roswitha Haas.
                                        directory [TEX-ARCHIVE.LATEX.CONTRIB.CHEMTEX]

| Olivier Plaut. University of Geneva.      Geneva, Switzerland |
| INTERNET: plaut@sc2a.unige.ch         BITNET:  plaut@cgeuge52 |