[comp.text.tex] putting space after `,'s in multiple citations

robinson@prism.gatech.EDU (Stephen M. Robinson) (01/22/91)

In article <19861@hydra.gatech.EDU> robinson@prism.gatech.EDU (Stephen M. Robinson) writes:
>I want to be able to type
>\cite{ref1,ref2}
>and have the text look like

>[Author1, 1990, Author2, 1991]

>not what appears to default:

>[Author1, 1990,Author2, 1991]

>where there is no space after the `,' separating citations. I looked at
>modifying \@citex in latex.tex but nothing I tried work. Anyone know how to do
>this? Thanks, smr

Turns out I had another input file I got from a friend for other reasons that
had \@citex defined without the needed space and it was overriding my attempts
to redefine \@citex. If you are using a version after 21 Nov 1987, it is
already the default to have a space just like I wanted! I'm sorry to have
posted before a more thorough investigation. Oh well. BTW, if you want to
change the citation separator from a comma to, say, a semi-colon, cut the def
for \@citex from latex.tex and replace comma in the call \@cite{,\penalty\@m }
and put it in a sty file.

Regards, smr

--
Stephen M. Robinson, AI Group, College of Computing  404-853-9381
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30332-0280