[comp.text.tex] Latex question about renewcommand

neg@aaron.ucr.edu (neil gretsky) (01/24/91)

*My goal: to have the enumeration counter used inside a theorem
print in lower case roman -- both in the actual enumeration and later
when used in a \ref.

*My method: following an example in the Lamport Latex book on page
92,
\renewcommand{\theenumi}{\roman{enumi}}
\begin{theorem} Let ...
\begin{enumerate}
\item\label{addup} ...
\item\label{single} ...
\end{enumerate}
\end{theorem}
As part \ref{single} of the theorem ...

*The problem: the counter values print as arabic in the
statement of the theorem and as roman in the ref's following
the theorem; e.g. single prints as "2" in the statement of the theorem
and as "ii" in the ref in the following paragraph.

*My request: what is going on here and how do I fix it??????

Any help will be gratefully received. Please reply either by email
or posting to this group. Thanks.

Neil E. Gretsky 		*internet:   neg@ucrmath.ucr.edu
Mathematics Department 		*uucp:	...!{ucsd, uci, ucdavis}!ucrmath!neg
Univ. of California, Riverside 	*ear:	    714-787-3591 (or -5002 for message)

kaja@daimi.aau.dk (Kaja P. Christiansen) (01/24/91)

neg@aaron.ucr.edu (neil gretsky) writes:

>\renewcommand{\theenumi}{\roman{enumi}}
>\begin{theorem} Let ...
>\begin{enumerate}
>\item\label{addup} ...
>\item\label{single} ...
>\end{enumerate}
>\end{theorem}
>As part \ref{single} of the theorem ...

>*The problem: the counter values print as arabic in the
>statement of the theorem and as roman in the ref's following
>the theorem; e.g. single prints as "2" in the statement of the theorem
>and as "ii" in the ref in the following paragraph.

Labels in the enumerate environment are controlled by \labelenumi,
so adding a line:
    \renewcommand{\labelenumi}{\theenumi}
or  \renewcommand{\labelenumi}{\roman{enumi}}
should solve the problem.

--
Kaja P. Christiansen                     Computer Science Department
(kpchristiansen@daimi.aau.dk)            Aarhus University