[comp.text.tex] Question about \TeX font sizes

joseph@jetson.uh.edu (Joseph Davis) (01/25/91)

I would like to be able to use large fonts intermittently in a small
plain \TeX document (Memo's and such). Since the document is small, I
don't want to use \LaTeX. I looked in our `tex' library, but we didn't
have any examples of how to do this. When I try using \magnification=1200
it blows up the whole document, which is what the \TeXbook says it will
do. Unfortuneately, I have been unable to find anything on how to leave
the whole document size alone, and just enlarge specific parts, like a
title. I know if I keep looking I'll find it, but it may take a long
time since I'm new to \TeX.

As an example of what I want

%---begin doc---
\centerline{\fontsize32pt{MEMO}}
\bigskip \hrule \bigskip
\noindent To: You

\noindent From: Me

\noindent Subject: You are all fired.

\bigskip \hrule \bigskip

Everyone is fired. Please get your \#\%\%'s out of here now.

\bigskip
\hskip{4in} {\fontsize24pt{Mr. Me}}
\bigskip \hrule \bye
%--- end doc ---

Please send any responses to joseph@jetson.uh.edu
Thanks!!   -Joseph Davis

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (01/25/91)

joseph@jetson.uh.edu (Joseph Davis) writes:

>I would like to be able to use large fonts intermittently in a small
>plain \TeX document

The eternal font selection problem...

The I've implemented it in my own format is as follows:
- there are three parameters: typeface, pointsize, style
- there are three commands: \typeface, \pointsize, \style
- the first two commands only set internal parameters,
- the third command assembles from the three parameters
  the name for the font, checks if that has been loaded yet,
  if not, loads it.
  this what you do ordinarily: you change from \bold to \italic etc
- there is a command \setfont that assembles whatever the current
  parameters are and if necessary loads the font.

Not hard to implement so far. Should take a couple of tens of lines.

Here are the problems.
- the mathfonts should change with size. If I say \pointsize{15pt},
  what do I load for script/scriptscript?
- if I load a different typeface, I want the italic of that as math italic
- same story for roman in math, but now note that capital Greek
  comes out of cmr!
- last but not least: I use Computer Modern, some Bitstream fonts,
  and Postscript fonts. All of which have different conventions
  for names of .tfm files.

All of this can be solved or course (I know because I've done so :-),
but it takes a bit of coding.

Victor.