[comp.text.tex] TeX Fonts, PostScript, and Macintoshes

amun@ellis.uchicago.edu (james frederick amundson) (12/17/90)

I have a dream...

In this dream, I am using OzTeX on my Macintosh. I view and print at
72, 144, 300, even 1200 dpi. Suddenly I worry.  All of those Computer
Modern fonts must be taking up most of my smallish hard disk! No, I
find, they don't take up very much room at all.  They are Type 1
PostScript fonts which ATM is kindly scaling for me.  Oh glorious day!

Is this there any reasonable hope of making my dream a reality? It
seems that there must be others who share this dream with me.

Here, as I see it, are the obstacles that lie in my way:

1) I need to get PostScipt versions of the Computer Modern fonts.
There is a utility to convert Metafont fonts to PostScript.  Is there
any chance some kind soul will run this program and make the results
available somewhere. I would guess that converting the program to run
on the Mac would be a non-trivial exercise.  (Although one I would
consider undertaking, if necessary.)

2) How do I make a PostScript font file created on another system into
a Mac PostScript file?

3) I assume that the output from the Metafont to PostScript utility
will be a Type 3 font. Does anyone out there have both the utility to
convert Type 3 fonts to Type 1 and an interest in doing it?

I would really appreciate any help anyone has to offer. (This includes
help with problems I haven't considered.)

If I ever get this to work, I will happily make the results available
to anyone else who is interested.

Thanks in advance.

--Jim Amundson
  amun@midway.uchicago.edu

simon@cs.ualberta.ca (Simon Tortike) (12/18/90)

Blue Sky Research (the TeXtures people) sell an Adobe Type 1 version of
Computer Modern for about US$200.  I use them with TeXtures and have
stopped using my bit-mapped sets, and am quite happy with the LaserWriter
results.

Regards,
--
W. Simon Tortike,                     | tel    : 403/492-3338
Dept of Mining, Metallurgical         | fax    : 403/492-7219

ribet@digel.berkeley.edu (Kenneth A. Ribet) (01/26/91)

In article <20004@unix.SRI.COM> schwer@unix.sri.com (Len Schwer) writes:
>In article <1991Jan14.190050.12790@agate.berkeley.edu>
>ribet@digel.berkeley.edu (Kenneth A. Ribet) writes:
>>2. The fonts seem not to work without ATM, even though the instructions
>>mailed with the fonts claim that non-ATM owners can still use them.  On
>>the advice of Blue Sky, I bought a copy of ATM.
>
>The Textures/Blue Sky Research CM/PS fonts do work without ATM.

Blue Sky made some changes to their postscript fonts without changing
the version number (which is still 0.9 to the best of my knowledge).
They recently sent me a recent version 0.9 which fixed a pretty glaring
bug: \Gamma was printing as blank space!  The current version has two
different metrics files, one for ATM-people and one for non-ATM people.
My original disks had only one metrics suitcase.

>>3. The fonts take up a lot of printer memory.
>
>This is very true. For 1 Mbyte printers it's almost hopeless.
>But memory is cheap and certainly the improved print quality using
>CM/PS makes them well worth both the direct and indirect extra cost.

Sad to say, you can't add memory to the original LW series printers!
At least, you can't so far.  Anybody who figures out how to upgrade
these machines has a lot of potential customers out there..

Ken Ribet
UC Berkeley Math Dept
...ucbvax!{digel,pepto-bismol,maalox,math}!ribet