[comp.text.tex] \makeglossary untilities

rjohnson@vela.acs.oakland.edu (R o d Johnson) (01/24/91)

I have a macro that I use to print the first occurrences of terms in
small caps, and also to make them glossary entries, which LaTeX writes
in a .glo file.  I mostly use this simply for checking against the
text, to see if all terms are defined, etc., but it occurs to me I
might actually want to *do* something with it, like produce a
glossary.  Does anyone have any programs or macros that do *anything*
with the .glo file?  I know there are indexing programs that use the
.idx file--are there similar tools of any sort for the .glo file?
(No, I don't know exactly what I want to do with it yet--I'm just
interested in the uses others have found for glossary entries.)

--
 Rod Johnson  *  rjohnson@vela.acs.oakland.edu  *  (313) 650 2315

         "I pissed on the man who called me a dog.  Why
          was he so surprised?"    --Diogenes

braams@pttrnl.nl (Johannes L. Braams) (01/27/91)

In article <4816@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, rjohnson@vela.acs.oakland.edu
(R o d Johnson) writes:
> ...        Does anyone have any programs or macros that do *anything*
> with the .glo file?  I know there are indexing programs that use the
> .idx file--are there similar tools of any sort for the .glo file?
	You could use GloTeX if you're on a VAX, but you can also
	use MakeIndex to do the job for you. Here's an example of
	a  MakeIndex style-file you'd need (use it with the command
	makeindex -s glossary.ist -o your-file.gls your-file.glo)
keyword "\\glossaryentry"
preamble "\\begin{theglossary}\n"
postamble "\n\n\\end{theglossary}\n"
actual '='
quote '!'
encap '|'
level '>'
delim_0 "\\pfill"
delim_1 "\\pfill"
delim_2 "\\pfill"
lethead_flag 0
    Greetings,

	Johannes Braams

PTT Research Neher Laboratorium,        P.O. box 421,
2260 AK Leidschendam,                   The Netherlands.
Phone    : +31 70 3325051               E-mail : JL_Braams@pttrnl.nl