[comp.text.tex] TeXhax Digest V91 #004

TeXhax@CS.WASHINGTON.EDU (TeXhax Digest) (01/28/91)

TeXhax Digest    Sunday,  January 27, 1991  Volume 91 : Issue 4

Moderators: Tiina Modisett and Pierre MacKay

%%% The TeXhax digest is brought to you as a service of the TeX Users Group %%%
%%%       in cooperation with the UnixTeX distribution service at the       %%%
%%%                      University of Washington                           %%%

Today's Topics:

                          MetaFont parameters
                       small bug in equations.sty
                    TeX on a DECStation 5000 Anyone?
                       What are virtual fonts...
                  Looking for address of Textset Inc.
                           WEB2C for pc's
         Doublespacing macros and new font selection scheme
                             equations
                     Springer-Verlag Macro Package
                      a new 7-bit encoding scheme
                          Tree drawing macros
                          Transfig & Fig 2.1.1
                     ymir.claremont.edu and dhosek
                   mode_defs (TeXhax Digest V91 #001)
                        AMSLaTeX pf environment

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 1991 14:45:56 GMT+1
From: tex@ait.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
Subject: MetaFont parameters

We (at the Astronomical Institute, Tuebingen (Germany)) have a font
problem with our DEC LN03R laser printer (which is a Ricoh machine):

All our DVIPS printouts look rather ugly. I presume it is because the PK
fonts are much too thin. Therefore, it is definitely impossible
to send out TeX documents via FAX. And we cannot switch to DVIL3P since
we use the PSFIG macro package a lot.

Yesterday, I found out that this problem is caused by the wrong parameters
in WAITS.MF.

Does anybody out there know the right parameters? Please e-mail to me
directly since I have not been added to this list yet.

Thank you very much in advance,

Volkmar Kuhnle
TeX Manager
tex@aitxu2.ait.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
psjeka1@zmcon2.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de

Date: Mon, 14 Jan 91 16:24:54 EST
From: guy@phy.duke.edu (Guy Metcalfe)
Subject: small bug in equations.sty

There is a small bug in equations.sty.  The \lefteqn command is
ignored.  Without using equations.sty, the following example prints as
I would expect from p. 50 of the latex manual: the first line is
shoved over to the left while the second is centered.  However, with
equations the R_c is aligned with -19.9---as if \lefteqn were not
there at all.  I would appreciate any fixes or hints for this problem.
Thanks.

Equations.sty implements several useful equation making environments.
This is the only bug I've found in a very good package.

\documentstyle[11pt,equations]{article}
\begin{document}
\begin{eqnarray}
\label{eqn:F2nd}
\lefteqn{R_c \approx R_{c\circ} + 24.6(\epsilon_1 \epsilon_2)
	+ 10.2(\epsilon_1 - \epsilon_2)^2} \\
	& & - 19.9\epsilon_2(\epsilon_1 \rho/\rho_s - \epsilon_3) \nonumber
\end{eqnarray}
\end{document}

	Guy Metcalfe
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	guy@phy.duke.edu
	& Center for Nonlinear Studies		guy@physics.phy.duke.edu
	Durham, N.C.      27706			guy%phy.duke.edu@cs.duke.edu

Date: Mon, 14 Jan 91 17:20:36 GMT
From: Peter King <pjbk@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk>
Subject: TeX on a DECStation 5000 Anyone?

We have just acquired a DEC Station 5000/200 RISC machine and I am
trying to port TeX to it.  We are running Ultrix V4.0 (RISC) and have
the source for version 2.93 of TeX.  web2C etc all run without error,
although the C compiler generates an error message about unreached code
(is that normal?) [has anyone linted the web2c version of TeX??].
The resulting code fails the trip test fairly convincingly.  The trip test
log file indicates 16 pages of output instead of 13 and there are
numerous differences in the dvitype output.

Has anyone any experience with this combination of hardware and
software?? All hints greatfully received.
  --
Peter King, Computer Science Department	JANET:	pjbk@uk.ac.hw.cs
  Heriot-Watt University		ARPA:	pjbk@cs.hw.ac.uk

Date: Mon, 14 Jan 1991 08:17 EST
From: Norman Walsh <NORM%IONAACAD@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: What are virtual fonts...

TeX version 3.0 has support for ``virtual fonts''.  Could someone explain
exactly what this means to me?  Can I, at least theoretically, use the
virtual font support as a mechanism to allow TeX to use the scaleable
typefaces available in my HP III Laser Printer?  Or does it have some
other purpose?
                                              Thanks, in advance,
                                                  ndw

Date: Sun, 13 Jan 91 12:28:03 IST
From: reuven@genius.tau.ac.il (Reuven Weiss)
Subject: Looking for address of Textset Inc.

I am looking for the address of Textset Inc., makers of drivers for TeX.
Mail to them was returned. I had the following address:
 416 Fourth Street,P.O.Box 7993, Ann Arbor, MI 48107.
If somebody has their latest address, please write to me. Fax number or e-mail
address of this company will also suffice.
Thanks,

Reuven Weiss
Faculty of Engineering
Tel - Aviv  University
ISRAEL

Date: Sat, 12 Jan 91 09:21:52 EST
From: Alan Hoenig <AJHJJ%CUNYVM@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: WEB2C for pc's

I know WEB2C is part of the standard unix tex distribution.  does anyone know
of an implementation of this program for PC's?  Many thanks in advance.  Reach
me on bitnet at AJHJJ@cunyvm, or by phone at (516) 385-0736.  :-) Alan

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 91 11:30:51 EST
From: Tom Prusa <TPRUSA@SBCCVM>
Subject: Doublespacing macros and new font selection scheme

Hello,
      Has anyone modified the doublespacing macros to work correctly
with the new font selection scheme of Mittelbach and Schopf?  I would
like to start using AmS-LaTeX but the old version of the doublespacing
macros do not work correctly.
      If anyone has made the modifications (or would be willing to
do the modifications) would they post (or send directly to me) the
new style file.

                  thanks in advance, tom prusa

Date:     Wed, 9 Jan 1991 12:12 CST
From: DONNA@swri.space.swri.edu
Subject:  equations

Is there any way to adjust the location of the equation number?
I have an equation that is two lines long, and the equation number
is placed on the line below the equation.  I would like this number
put on the same line as the second line of the equation.

Donna Staglik
Southwest Research Institute

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 1991 21:49:37 EST
From: Allan Adler <ghot@ms.uky.edu>
Subject: Springer-Verlag Macro Package

I am aware that Springer-Verlag makes distributes a Plain-\TeX\ Layout Macro
Package on floppy disks. I don't know whether they charge for it. In any case,
I would be interested in obtaining a free copy faster than I could do so
by mail. If anyone has this package and is willing to send it to me or
knows where I could obtain it by anonymous ftp, please let me know.

I have just subscribed to this mailing list and may not be receiving
texhax right away. So please reply to me at the address below. Thank you.

Allan Adler
ghot@ms.uky.edu

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 91 07:39:22 EST
From: jrv@sdimax2.mitre.org
Subject: a new 7-bit encoding scheme

Niel Kempson's proposed VVcode supports

> 	**TODO**
>
> 	modes:		    binary, text
> 	file formats:	    stream (Unix, MS-DOS, TOPS)
> 			    fixed length records (VAX/VMS, VM/CMS)
> 			    variable length records (VAX/VMS, VM/CMS ?)

How about the Macintosh? I am a Unix/MS-DOS user myself, but I believe
that a Mac data file has several "forks", one of which is a reference
to the relevant program.  When I send a TeX file from my PC to a Mac
across the LocalTalk network, I would like it to be automatically
recognized as, for example, an OzTeX file.  Could some Macintosh guru
suggest suitable extensions?

                           - Jim Van Zandt

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 15:07:32 CST
From: Ed Reingold <reingold@cs.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Tree drawing macros

I'm interested in tree drawing macros for TeX or LaTeX.

I have a set that uses PiCTeX, but would like to know who has done what.
I know about Bruggemann-Klein/Wood's work.

Please respond by email to reingold@cs.uiuc.edu

Thanks!

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 19:37:14 -0500
From: beck@cs.cornell.edu (Micah Beck)
Subject: Transfig & Fig 2.1.1

Version 2.1.1 of TransFig and Fig are now available for anonymous FTP from

	svax.cs.cornell.edu 	or	sun.soe.clarkson.edu

in directory ~ftp/pub/transfig.  The new versions should be completely
compatible with 2.1.0.  There are some bug fixes, and some improvements to
the LaTeX and PiCTeX drivers which extend the flexibility of those
translations.  For example, variable width lines and shaded boxes
are now implemented in the PiCTeX translation.

Keep in mind that the current version of XFig is 2.0, and so cannot read
files written by Fig 2.1.

Please send any comments regarding TransFig to me at the address below.
Comments about Fig should be addressed to Dr. Baron Grey, grey@usc.edu.

Micah Beck					beck@cs.cornell.edu
Department of Computer Science
Cornell University

Date: 24 Jan 91 06:12:00 PDT
From: "JohnM" <johnm@afsc-bmo.af.mil>
Subject: ymir.claremont.edu and dhosek

i am having an inordinate amount of trouble getting files from ymir.claremont
(directories not found, etc). i can't seem to get through to dhosek via email.

any pointers would be appreciated.

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 16:45:02 -0800
From: mackay@cs.washington.edu (Pierre MacKay)
Subject: mode_defs (TeXhax Digest V91 #001)

Since I have just recently been experimenting with all sorts of mode_defs
for a study of the problems involved with switching between write-black
and write-white printers, I find the approach in R. Bernstein's message
very promising indeed.  Many of the adjustments used for write-white,
particularly negative values for fillin turn out to be real sledgehammers,
especially when combined with other adjustments, and the possibility
of switching them off font by font looks like a solution to several
of the problems I have run into.

It is interesting that R. B's perception is that the full overshoot value
can be accepted.  That may arise from the very fact that a 240 dpi
font is dealing with such a low count of pixels per em.  Leave the full
overshoot in at 300dpi and you are raising not just a pixel or so, but an
entire straight line of 6 pixels on the lower case o in cmr10.  There is
the reason for the more restrained value at a higher resolution.  The full
o-correction is supposed to appear only at the center of the curve, but
the rasterization spreads it out rather far to each side.  The general
impression I get is that when you get to 300 dpi and above, the best
setting for o-correction is one that will produce a detectable effect in
the bitmap on any character rendered at 80 pixels per em or higher.
That is basically what happens in the standard CanonCX write-black
mode-def with its 0.5 setting.  (41 pixels per em for 10-point design-size.)

Email concerned with UnixTeX distribution software should be sent primarily
to:	elisabet@max.u.washington.edu           Elizabeth Tachikawa
otherwise to:  mackay@cs.washington.edu		Pierre A. MacKay
Smail:  Northwest Computing Support Center	TUG Site Coordinator for
	Thomson Hall, Mail Stop DR-10		Unix-flavored TeX
	University of Washington
	Seattle, WA 98195
	(206) 543-6259

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 10:21:01
From: Mike Piff <PM1MJP@primea.sheffield.ac.uk>
Subject: AMSLaTeX pf environment

I am puzzled by the AMSLaTeX document style AMSART. This defined the
environment pf (Proof) essentially to be a \newenvironment with
{\bf Proof} at one end and \qed at the other.

Having experienced some problems myself with this kind of environment in
LaTeX, I was surprised at the simplicity of this definition. However, it
just doesn't work, for at least two reasons.

(a) It will not interact correctly with LaTeX list environments, such as
enumerate, in a proof of a theorem with two parts say:
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First part
      \item Second part
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
looks a mess. I cannot imagine any journal accepting that.

It really needs to be defined as a trivlist or list with a single
\item{\bf Proof} at its head.

(b) The \qed is not locked onto the end of the proof. There are ways of
getting it to float to the end of the current line, or to the next line it
there is not room on the current one, as in The TeXbook p106. These will
also ensure that the \qed will not float onto the next page in the latter
case. However, they will not prevent that from happening if the proof
ends with a list environment, say, such as

  ... provided
\begin{enumerate}
   \item $x>0$ and
   \item $0<y<1$.
\end{enumerate}
\end{pf}

Stopping such poor breaks automatically is quite tricky, and involves a
complete examination of all the features of LaTeX and TeX which might
interact in this way with pf.  A sample poor break is provided.

Mike Piff

\documentstyle{amsart}
\begin{document}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\begin{pf}
   \begin{enumerate}
      \item First
      \item Second
   \end{enumerate}
\end{pf}
\end{document}

From   Dr M. J. Piff, Department of Pure Mathematics, PO Box 597,
       Hicks Noisy Building Site, Hounsfield Road,
       SHEFFIELD S10 2UN, England.
Tel.   SHEFFIELD(0742) 768555 Extension 4431.
JANET  MPiff@UK.AC.SHEF.PA  or MPiff@UK.AC.SHEF.IBM

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU          TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nnn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nnn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest