[comp.text.tex] downloadable postscript to TeX .pk/.tfm convertor wanted

jc@cel.co.uk (jerry cullingford) (01/25/91)

    Does anyone know of a conversion program that will accept
    downloadable postscript fonts as input and produce TeX
    .gf or .pk fonts as output, together with the .tfm metric files?

    I have some (variant?) compugraphic outline fonts with a utility
    to produce downloadable postscript versions, and I'd like to be
    able to use the fonts with TeX and a non-postscript printer.

    Amiga software ideal, IBM PC ok, or details of the format of
    downloadable postscript fonts so I can try and roll my own..

    Any help or pointers gratefully recieved.

    Jerry   jc@cel.co.uk  or maybe jc@crosfield.co.uk

--
+-----------------------------------+-----------------------------+     |
+-----------------------------------+-----------------------------+ \___/

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (01/25/91)

In article <8148@suns102.cel.co.uk> jc@cel.co.uk (jerry cullingford) writes:

       I have some (variant?) compugraphic outline fonts with a utility
       to produce downloadable postscript versions, and I'd like to be
       able to use the fonts with TeX and a non-postscript printer.

produce the downloadable fonts, and stash them away. now all you need
to use them from TeX is a) a dvi to PS driver that understands the
idea of downloading fonts (eg dvips or dvitops) and b) font metrics.
if your utility does not provide .afm files for the fonts, one
technique is to hurl the fonts at the printer with instructs to work
out the metrics on the fly and send them back to the host. If you
can't trap the dialogue with the printer, this is no use... if you
need the code to append to a font to make it generate an AFM file
(which you the run through afm2tfm), I can send it.

If you mean you do not have  a PostScript printer but still want the
fonts, forget all the above!

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

jc@cel.co.uk (jerry cullingford) (01/28/91)

In article <SPQR.91Jan25100145@manutius.ecs.soton.ac.uk> spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) writes:
>In article <8148@suns102.cel.co.uk> jc@cel.co.uk (jerry cullingford) writes:
>

ME>       I have some (variant?) compugraphic outline fonts with a utility
ME>       to produce downloadable postscript versions, and I'd like to be
ME>       able to use the fonts with TeX and a non-postscript printer.
>
>	[Explanation of using downloadable PS fonts deleted]
>
>If you mean you do not have  a PostScript printer but still want the
>fonts, forget all the above!
>
>Sebastian

	Thats exactly my problem :-( I _don't_ have a postscript printer, so
	I'd like to know if thee;s any way of converting the fonts to normal
	tex  pk/gf ones.

--