[comp.text.tex] dvi to fax

ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (01/26/91)

What is the most convenient way to get humming sending TeX
documents over a PC fax card?

I will use EmTeX to make a dvi -- and then what?  Are there some
programs out there which'll take a .dvi and give me a bunch of
TIFF files, one per page?  Most PC fax cards accept TIFFs.
Alternatively, going to PCX or something might work.

Yet another strategy would be to print dvi2hp using EmTeX's HP
driver and trap the bytes headed for the printer using a program
like HiJaak (which I don't have), HiJaak saves .PCX files as far
as I can recall.

What can you think of?  Is it very hard hacking a dvi2tiff
program?  How does one approach it?  I'm very fluent hacking
turbo pascal, and know nothing about the .dvi file format, about
Knuths font formats and about the TIFF file format.

Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.

hwb@texnix.stgt.sub.org (Harald Boegeholz) (01/28/91)

Hi!

In article <29616@usc> ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:

> I will use EmTeX to make a dvi -- and then what?  Are there some
> programs out there which'll take a .dvi and give me a bunch of
> TIFF files, one per page?  Most PC fax cards accept TIFFs.
> Alternatively, going to PCX or something might work.

Just RTFM (read the f* manual); DVIMSP (supplied with the emTeX
package can generate PCX files (use option /op). If yours can't,
you have an old version.

I'm using this successfully to produce fax documents; I have
special fonts for that (about 200DPI, but not exactly).

Harald
--
Harald Boegeholz |Home:       hwb@texnix.stgt.sub.org (read daily)

ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (01/28/91)

In article <6327.910128@texnix.stgt.sub.org> hwb@texnix.stgt.sub.org writes:
>DVIMSP (supplied with the emTeX
>package can generate PCX files (use option /op). If yours can't,
>you have an old version.
I have a copy of EmTeX picked off terminator.cc.umich.edu
yesterday and it doesn't know a /op option.  Any ideas on what to
try next?

>I'm using this successfully to produce fax documents; I have
>special fonts for that (about 200DPI, but not exactly).
What are these fonts?  Can you make the .fli files publicly
available?

Thanks,

	-ans.