[comp.text.tex] Two-line header in LaTeX?

tgcpwd@rwa.urc.tue.nl (Wim van Dorst) (01/25/91)

Hello *,

Can anybody please tell me how to make a two-line header in an
LaTeX document?

More specific: we need to write reports in which the footer line
is something like this:
     Report 12.123          1990.12.01             Page 145

I manage to define a new document style, based on the article
style, in which I changed standard header to standard footer,
and then changed the footer to the text "Rep......Page 145".

That is all ok, but now the extra line. I tried several new
definitions of \@oddfoot{} with LaTeX and TeX commands like
\newline, \break, \\ and I tried things like \hbox{} and \box{}
but all to no avail.

The question is the two lines: perhaps someone already made a
new style with a double line header/footer (either is ok, of
course). Would he/she please drop me a line how-to?

Met vriendelijke groeten, Wim -b-b- van Dorst
Blue Baron = Wim van Dorst, Voice (+31) 074-443937, (+31) 02152-42319
(-:       baron@wiesje.hobby.nl           tgcpwd@urc.tue.nl       :-)

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (01/28/91)

WvD> Can anybody please tell me how to make a two-line header in an
WvD> LaTeX document?

WvD> More specific: we need to write reports in which the footer line
WvD> is something like this:
WvD>      ______________________________________________________
WvD>      Report 12.123          1990.12.01             Page 145

Use my fancyheadings.sty. It gives you these possibilities and more.

How to get fancyheadings.doc and fancyheadings.sty from the archive at
	Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University:

NOTE: In the following I have assumed your mail address is john@highbrow.edu.

    Of course you must substitute your own address for this. This should be
    a valid internet or uucp address. For bitnet users name@host.BITNET
    usually works.

by FTP: (please restrict access to weekends or evening/night (i.e. between
about 20.00 and 0900 UTC).

    ftp archive.cs.ruu.nl [131.211.80.5]
    user name: anonymous or ftp
    password: your own email address (e.g. john@highbrow.edu)
    cd /pub
    don't forget to set binary mode if the file is a tar/arc/zoo archive,
    compressed or in any other way contains binary data.
    get TEX/latexstyle/fancyheadings.doc
    get TEX/latexstyle/fancyheadings.sty

by mail-server:

send the following message to
mail-server@cs.ruu.nl (or uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ruuinf!mail-server):

    begin
    path john@highbrow.edu (PLEASE SUBSTITUTE *YOUR* ADDRESS)
    send TEX/latexstyle/fancyheadings.doc
    send TEX/latexstyle/fancyheadings.sty
    end

The path command can be deleted if we receive a valid from address in your
message. If this is the first time you use our mail server, we suggest you
first issue the request:
    send HELP
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.