[comp.text.tex] LaTeX footnotes with Greek Fonts

sergio@helios.sixcom.it (Sergio Scola) (01/25/91)

I have a problem using Silvio Levy Greek Fonts in LaTeX footnotes.

This happens when using the circumflex accent `~' in conjunction with
a iota subscript `|' or a breathing (i.e. `<' or `>').

For instance:

	\footnote{\begingreek <or~a|s me, <~w \endgreek}
                                 ^^^      ^^^

Silvio Levy gives a reference to Reinhard Wonneberger's article in the
October, 1986 issue of TUGboat (pp. 179-180) to solve this kind of troubles.
Unfortunately I can't find it!  Could anyone help me?
Please answer using email.
Many thanks in advance.

--
Sergio Scola

Address SIXCOM S.p.A.
        via G. Govone, 66
        I-20155 Milano (Italy)
Phone   +39-2-3192 313 (direct)
        +39-2-3192 1 (operator)
Fax     +39-2-3360 3112
Email   sergio@sixcom.it
        sergio@sixcom.uucp

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) (01/29/91)

In article <sergio.664797317@helios> sergio@helios.sixcom.it (Sergio Scola) writes:
>I have a problem using Silvio Levy Greek Fonts in LaTeX footnotes.
>
>This happens when using the circumflex accent `~' in conjunction with
>a iota subscript `|' or a breathing (i.e. `<' or `>').
>
>For instance:
>
>	\footnote{\begingreek <or~a|s me, <~w \endgreek}
>                                 ^^^      ^^^
>
>Silvio Levy gives a reference to Reinhard Wonneberger's article in the
>October, 1986 issue of TUGboat (pp. 179-180) to solve this kind of troubles.
>Unfortunately I can't find it!  Could anyone help me?

Yes, the article is in TUGboat 7(3), and Wonnenberger gives code that
redefines LaTeX's \footnote command in such a way that you would not
have the above problem.

I shall sit down and type it out some time, and when I do, I'll
post it here, to comp.text.tex.

In the meantime, a workaround is to say the following:

"Blah blah blah \begingreek\footnote{English english \begingreek Greek
Greek\endgreek English}\endgreek"

I.e., surround the \footnote{...} in another set of Greek delimiters.
Ugly, but it works.

Best wishes,

Dominik