[comp.text.tex] letter.sty not yielding space between closing and signature

rig@eng.umd.edu (Ronald Greenberg) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan21.213156.5845@eng.umd.edu> rig@eng.umd.edu (Ronald Greenberg) writes:

>I have been annoyed recently (when running LaTeX) to find that
>letter.sty is not yielding the normal space between the closing and
>the signature.  I think that the behavior has actually changed as a
>result of my TeX changing from version 2.93 to version 3.0.  (The
>result is also bad in version 2.95, but I'm quite confident, I got
>space in version 2.93.)  The version of LaTeX I have been using
>throughout is 2.09.

Maybe the useful answers all came by way of email because this was a
somewhat stupid question.  But I seem to recall somebody else posting
or mailing something indicating that he was equally confused and never
got the right answer, so here is a very short summary of the
number; that's independent of the date of the .sty file, which also
gets typed out and in my case was 20 Jul 87.  There is a newer version
that fixes my problem.  One respondent says the latest version is 20
Sep 88.  I guess you can get up to date stuff from labrea.stanford.edu
(directory tex/latex).

(Somebody should fix the information in the FAQ and Supplementary TeX
information mailings to give the directory as "tex/latex" rather than
just "latex".  Also, it should be clarified that labrea.stanford.edu
has all the basic LaTeX .sty files, while sun.soe.clarkson.edu has
only *additional* contributions.  And the directory for the latter
machine is "pub/tex/latex-style", not "pub/latex-style".)
--

Ron Greenberg		rig@eng.umd.edu