[comp.text.tex] Changing LaTex item numbers in enumerate.

jochterski@eagle.wesleyan.edu (01/29/91)

Hi..

Here's an easy one (but I can't get it...)

I want the enumerate in LaTeX to make item numbers like:

a.
b.
c.

instead of with numbers. The manual suggests that I might accomplish this using
\renewcommand. So I tried:

\renewcommand{\labelitemi}{\alph{enumi}}

but got blanks instead of item numbers. I tired some other not-so-elegant stuff
to, but to no avail. How can I get LaTeX to do this?

(I am using OzTeX 1.3 if that matters)

Thanks..

graham@cs.man.ac.uk (Graham Gough) (01/29/91)

>  Here's an easy one (but I can't get it...)
>
>  I want the enumerate in LaTeX to make item numbers like:
>
>  a.
>  b.
>  c.

I use the following little style file to create the alphaenum environment

%
% alphaenum.sty
%
% List environment that uses lowercase alpha counter
%
\newcounter{alphaenum@count}
\newenvironment{alphaenum}%
{\begin{list}%
{\alph{alphaenum@count})}%
{\usecounter{alphaenum@count}\def\p@alphaenum@count{\expandafter\@alph}}}%
{\end{list}}

Graham

Graham D. Gough, Department of Computer Science,
University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, U.K.
Tel: (+44) 61 275 6277	  FAX: (+44) 61 275 6280
Internet: graham@cs.man.ac.uk
JANET: graham@uk.ac.man.cs   USENET: ..mcvax!ukc!man.cs!graham

In article <1991Jan28.150917.38148@eagle.wesleyan.edu>, jochterski@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
> I want the enumerate in LaTeX to make item numbers like:
>
> a.
> b.
> c.
>
> instead of with numbers. The manual suggests that I might accomplish this using
> \renewcommand. So I tried:
>
> \renewcommand{\labelitemi}{\alph{enumi}}
>
> but got blanks instead of item numbers. I tired some other not-so-elegant stuff
> to, but to no avail. How can I get LaTeX to do this?

I figured it out. I should have put

\renewcommand{\labelenumi}{\alph{enumi}}
\begin{enumerate}
\item
..
\end{enumerate}

Thanks to everyone who replied.

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan28.150917.38148@eagle.wesleyan.edu> jochterski@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
 > > I want the enumerate in LaTeX to make item numbers like:
 > >
 > > a.
 > > b.
 > > c.
 > > \renewcommand{\labelitemi}{\alph{enumi}}
If we look in book.sty, we see
   \def\labelenumi{\theenumi.}
   \def\theenumi{\arabic{enumi}}
..
   \def\labelitemi{$\bullet$}

which suggests to me that fiddling with labelitemi is not the right
approach as it affects itemize not enumerate. it should be more like

   \renewcommand{\theenumi}{\alph{enumi}}

Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)
Southampton S09 5NH, UK                S.Rahtz@sot-ecs.uucp    (uucp)