[comp.text.tex] more about siam.sty

vavasis@afi.cs.cornell.edu (Stephen Vavasis) (01/31/91)

As I mentioned a long time ago on this newgroup, I am trying
to update the SIAM.STY file to more carefully reflect siam's
actual style rules.  I already asked about removing the big
space around `=' in eqnalign and received many helpful responses.

Here are two other style rules I am working on:

(1) In almost every place that you would normally use \ldots,
siam style calls for \cdots.  I fixed this by putting the following
into siam.sty:

\let\origldots = \ldots
\def\ldots{\typeout{Substituting cdots for ldots}\cdots}

Does anyone see anything wrong with these macros?  (I am planning
to give SIAM my updated sty file, so I want to make sure the changes
I make are reasonably air-tight).

(2) Here is one I haven't been able to figure out.  SIAM style
calls for the end-of-proof to be marked with a square box.
The writer of siam.sty has already taken care of this:

\def\endproof{{\ \vbox{\hrule\hbox{%
   \vrule height1.3ex\hskip0.8ex\vrule}\hrule
  }}\par}

However, SIAM style also requires that end-of-proof, when occurring
immediately after a displayed equation, be flush-right on the
same line as the equation.  (SIAM style uses left-equations, so
the box doesn't interfere with the eq. no.)  I would like a macro to
do this, and I would like it to work either in $$ .. $$ or in
\begin{eqnarray} ... \end{eqnarray}.  I wrote the following hack,
which does half of the job:

\newlength{\dprooflth}
\newcommand\dproofend[2]{\\ \setlength{\dprooflth}\textwidth%
\addtolength{\dprooflth}{-2em}
\hbox{\parbox{\dprooflth}%
{#2} \hfill\raisebox{#1}\endproof}\\}

The usage is: \dproofend{<adjustment>}{<formula>}.  This puts
the box flush-right after <formula>, but is unable to get
the vertical position of the box right.  Thus, I have to
eyeball the position and set <adjustment> by trial and error.
Obviously, I wouldn't want SIAM to make this a permanent part
of siam.sty.

Does anyone know how to make latex get the vertical position of
the box right on its own?  The box should be aligned with baseline
of the last line of <formula>.

[ On unrelated business, I recently posted a message saying that it was
impractical to encode phototypesetter-resolution bitmap fonts within
postscript.  ``Not so!'' several people told me.  Moreover, I posted
a fact (obtained second hand) that the PK files for CM fonts at 1270
DPI require 27M apiece; the person who told me that retracted the
number 27M after seeing my posting. ]

-- Steve Vavasis (vavasis@cs.cornell.edu)

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (02/01/91)

vavasis@afi.cs.cornell.edu (Stephen Vavasis) writes:

>As I mentioned a long time ago on this newgroup, I am trying
>to update the SIAM.STY file to more carefully reflect siam's
>actual style rules.

Good. I don't think the people at SIAM really care about typesetting.
In the TeXed articles you regularly find evidence that they consider
TeX to be an excuse for dispensing with proofreading altogether.

And of course the mix of Computer Modern with Times Roman
is too awful to mention. It doesn't cost any trouble to
set everything in Times Roman. Ultimately they can just
buy the knowledge from the AMS...

>However, SIAM style also requires that end-of-proof, when occurring
>immediately after a displayed equation, be flush-right on the
>same line as the equation.

This one is hard. My guess would be to do every display equation
in a \vbox, and in case of an \endproof take the \lastbox and measure
its depth.

Victor.