[comp.text.tex] ymir.claremont.edu sucks!

ajayshah@almaak.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (01/31/91)

It seems the only copy of the most-recent EmTeX distribution (minus
fonts) in the civilised world is to be found at
ymir.claremont.edu which is a non-unix ftp server!

Imagine: you can cd into a directory but not cd .. out of it!!
It's pretty buggy, too, it hung up on me serveral times.

Administrators of ymir.claremont.edu: if you're listening:
consider moving your machine to Unix!  Only 9 years left to catch
up with the twentieth century; you can still dump OS/2!!

Administrators of terminator.cc.umich.edu: if you're listening:
couldya please get the latest EmTeX!?

Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.

cheung@mathcs.emory.edu (Shun Yan Cheung) (01/31/91)

In article <29734@usc> ajayshah@almaak.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:

>Imagine: you can cd into a directory but not cd .. out of it!!
>It's pretty buggy, too, it hung up on me serveral times.

Use cd - to get up and keep in mind: don't look a given horse in the
month, i.e., it's a FREE service offered by Claremont and you are in
no way obligated to use it. I had problems getting out of a directory
to, but unlike you, I tried other commands and cd - finally worked.

--
Shun Yan Cheung     |  cheung@mathcs.emory.edu                  Internet
Emory University    |  cheung@emory.bitnet			BITNET

zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu (RALPH ZAZULA) (01/31/91)

In article <29734@usc>, ajayshah@almaak.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes...

>It seems the only copy of the most-recent EmTeX distribution (minus
>fonts) in the civilised world is to be found at
>ymir.claremont.edu which is a non-unix ftp server!
>
>Imagine: you can cd into a directory but not cd .. out of it!!

Hmm...  Sorry, but I got a good laugh or two out of this one...
You are right, it is a VMS machine.  (I in *no* way want to start
an OS war/flame-session, I haven't the time or energy...)
To move up a directory, try "cd [-]"  (without quotes).
Under VMS, directories go by the format DISK:[DIR1.DIR2.DIR3]
(case is ignored). The "-" stands for ".." as is used in
unix and ms-dos and the "." stands for the "/" in unix
and the "\" in ms-dos.  The DISK: portion can be omitted to
move around on the same disk (for example, "cd [-.nextdir]" is
the same as "cd ../nextdir" under unix).

I've been using VMS for a little over 3 years now but I still
took the time out to learn the UNIX commands that I needed to
use the FTP sites I wanted....  ('nuff said...)

>It's pretty buggy, too, it hung up on me serveral times.
>
>Administrators of ymir.claremont.edu: if you're listening:
>consider moving your machine to Unix!  Only 9 years left to catch
>up with the twentieth century; you can still dump OS/2!!

Is UNIX *the* representitive feature of the 20th century????

>Administrators of terminator.cc.umich.edu: if you're listening:
>couldya please get the latest EmTeX!?
>
>--
>Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
>                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.

Smiles,
Ralph

P.S.  I just bought a UNIX machine 2 days ago (if that matters...)

   | Ralph Zazula                               "Computer Addict!"        |
   | University of Arizona                 ---  Department of Physics     |
   |   UAZHEP::ZAZULA                            (DecNet/HEPNet)          |
   |   zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu         (Internet)               |
   |   "You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge."  - Neil Peart    |

vahe@euphemia.math.ucla.edu (Vahe Sarkissian) (01/31/91)

Ajay Shah, I don't know who you are, but I believe you owe an
apology to the entire network as well as to Don Hosek personally.

Rather than complaining in such a crass manner, consider asking
someone how to traverse VMS directories (ymir runs VMS, not OS/2).
To bad-mouth one of the best-maintained archives of TeX material,
particularly in a forum intended for useful discussion, is childish
and vulgar.

Don, I thought it didn't need mentioning, but obviously it does:
thank you for the fine job you do of maintaining the ymir archives.

--Vahe Sarkissian, UCLA Math. Sci.		vahe@math.ucla.edu

jwe@che.utexas.edu (John W. Eaton) (01/31/91)

In article <29734@usc> ajayshah@almaak.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:

> It seems the only copy of the most-recent EmTeX distribution (minus
> fonts) in the civilised world is to be found at
> ymir.claremont.edu which is a non-unix ftp server!
>
> Imagine: you can cd into a directory but not cd .. out of it!!

No, you can't use the command `cd ..', but you can use `cd [-]'.
You need to think more like the natives.  :-)

> It's pretty buggy, too, it hung up on me serveral times.

This also happens to me quite often when using other ftp servers, most
notably on prep.ai.mit.edu, which is, last I checked, a Un*x site.

BTW, this shouldn't be misinterpreted as a defense of, or apology for,
VMS, Digital Equipment Corporation, or Ken Olsen Himself.

--
John W. Eaton                                  ``When in Rome...''
jwe@che.utexas.edu

phil@cs.mcgill.ca (Philip LOCONG) (01/31/91)

OK, I don't know if I'm going to make a fool of myself but it seems to
me that the "supported" way of doing a "UNIX cd .." when in ftp is:
cdup. Did I miss something? I never had any trouble with cdup! Please
give me some feedback, it seems so simple.

Phil

spsisira@sdrc.UUCP (Sisira Jayasinghe) (01/31/91)

In article <1023@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU>, vahe@euphemia.math.ucla.edu (Vahe Sarkissian) writes:

> Don, I thought it didn't need mentioning, but obviously it does:
> thank you for the fine job you do of maintaining the ymir archives.
>
> --Vahe Sarkissian, UCLA Math. Sci.		vahe@math.ucla.edu

"It takes only one apple to spoil the bin" is very true in this case.

I agree with Vahe about the Ymir archives. GOOD job DON.

Sisira Jayasinghe.

anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) (01/31/91)

I completely agree with previous responses in this thread - we are all
much indebted to the administrators of ymir.claremont.edu for the
service they provide, and the original poster was way out of line in
his remarks.

However, it IS a bit baffling to find your way around on a VMS machine
when you're used to unix boxes. As of course it's confusing for VMS
users to navigate a unix system. But there's a real asymmetry here. If
I have a VAX and need to talk to somebody's Sun from time to time, I
can go to the bookstore (even if that means "B.Dalton") and buy any
number of simple minded introductions to unix; but if I'm the one with
the Sun, it seems I'd have to buy a VAX to get the corresponding
information about VMS........

Steve Anderson

rolfl@ulrik.uio.no (Rolf Lindgren) (02/01/91)

>In article <29734@usc> ajayshah@almaak.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
>
>   Imagine: you can cd into a directory but not cd .. out of it!!
>   It's pretty buggy, too, it hung up on me serveral times.
>
>   Administrators of ymir.claremont.edu: if you're listening:
>   consider moving your machine to Unix!  Only 9 years left to catch
>   up with the twentieth century; you can still dump OS/2!!

cdup. cdup.  Memorize it. cdup. You might get use of it again, in some bizarre
set of circumstances.

I havent been at ymir for quite awhile, but I can't remember it throwing me out
more often then the Unix servers.

Rolf Lindgren		| 	"The opinions expressed above are
612 Bjerke Studentheim	|  	 not necessarily those of anyone"
N-0589 OSLO 5		|             rolfl@humanist.uio.no

adrian@mti.mti.com (Adrian McCarthy) (02/01/91)

In article <6873@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> cheung@mathcs.emory.edu (Shun Yan Cheung) writes:
>In article <29734@usc> ajayshah@almaak.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
>>Imagine: you can cd into a directory but not cd .. out of it!!
>Use cd - to get up...

Just goes to show, the whole world doesn't run UNIX.  Thank God.

Aid.  (adrian@gonzo.mti.com)

kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rich Kaul) (02/01/91)

In article <29734@usc> ajayshah@almaak.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
   Imagine: you can cd into a directory but not cd .. out of it!!

Read the man page for a recent version of ftp or go and read the RFC
directly.  The only officially approved way of changing to the parent
of a directory is cdup.  ftp is designed to be relatively independent
of OS.  You're reading Un*x-isms into all other operating systems,
which isn't the brightest thing you can do.

   Administrators of ymir.claremont.edu: if you're listening:
   consider moving your machine to Unix!  Only 9 years left to catch
   up with the twentieth century; you can still dump OS/2!!

It's a VMS machine.  It's their machine, which they are graciously
providing for your use.  You can't complain about a service you're
getting for free when you're not even using it properly.  I appreciate
the service they provide and think your attitude could use some
adjusting.

(It used to be "All the world's a VAX."  Is the prevailing attitude
these days "All the world's a Unix Box"?)
--
Rich Kaul                         | Every man is given the key to the door
kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu    | of heaven; unfortunately, the same key

6500gsv@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (George S. Vaughan) (02/01/91)

In article <29734@usc> ajayshah@almaak.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:

> Imagine: you can cd into a directory but not cd .. out of it!!
> It's pretty buggy, too, it hung up on me serveral times.

YMIR is running vax/vms.  In vms, the next directory up is not ..
but rather [-].  I just now checked on this. (Hi Chris)

> up with the twentieth century; you can still dump OS/2!!

See above.

				George
--
	      George S. Vaughan  6500gsv@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
		       Repeal The 16th Amendment!

kcb@hss.caltech.edu (KC Border) (02/01/91)

In article <29734@usc> ajayshah@almaak.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:

>It seems the only copy of the most-recent EmTeX distribution (minus
>fonts) in the civilised world is to be found at
>ymir.claremont.edu which is a non-unix ftp server!
>
>Imagine: you can cd into a directory but not cd .. out of it!!
>It's pretty buggy, too, it hung up on me serveral times.
>
>Administrators of ymir.claremont.edu: if you're listening:
>consider moving your machine to Unix!  Only 9 years left to catch
>up with the twentieth century; you can still dump OS/2!!

I find the material on archives to be a great public benefit.  It may
be a counterexample to the adage that there's no such thing as afree
lunch.  So what if it's not unix.  (I think it's VMS, not OS/2.)  The
administrator doesn't owe you.

If you read your unix man page for ftp you would find that the command
to move up a directory level is   cdup   and it works.

This forum is hardly the place for this kind of whining.

Kim C. Border			Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences
kcb@hss.caltech.edu		228-77
				California Institute of Technology
				Pasadena, California 91125

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) (02/01/91)

In article <29734@usc> ajayshah@almaak.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:

>It seems the only copy of the most-recent EmTeX distribution (minus
>fonts) in the civilised world is to be found at
>ymir.claremont.edu which is a non-unix ftp server!
>
>Imagine: you can cd into a directory but not cd .. out of it!!
>It's pretty buggy, too, it hung up on me serveral times.
>
>Administrators of ymir.claremont.edu: if you're listening:
>consider moving your machine to Unix!  Only 9 years left to catch
>up with the twentieth century; you can still dump OS/2!!

i imagine you will get a lot of heat for this.

first, i don't care about whether or not you love unix and think it's the
best. go tell that to your dog or cat. this newsgroup is not for such
foolish posts. all you had to do was post asking about how to do 'x' from
ymir.claremont.edu. from past experience, i think the system is a vax.
and, while i like unix as much as the next guy, i think the folks at ymir
have provided an excellent service to the TeX community. if you don't
appreciate this, then, again, tell your dog.

as for the "it" hanging up on you, well it serves you right. seriously, though,
that has never happend to me. ever thought it could be line noise or such.

and, i think you 'cd [-]' to go back a directory. i can't remember exactly.

anyway, keep these posts out of here. i'm sure there are people that love
vax just as much as you love UNIX.

albert

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (02/01/91)

In article <29734@usc> ajayshah@almaak.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:

   It seems the only copy of the most-recent EmTeX distribution (minus
   fonts) in the civilised world is to be found at
   ymir.claremont.edu which is a non-unix ftp server!

well, theres gratitude. could I point out that
 a) the package comes from Germany anyway, so the canonical versions
    are in Stuttgart for FTP. So I assume Mattes is regarded as
    uncivilised?
 b) its also available from the UK TeX Archive. It won't help you, as
    an FTP person, but there *are* people outside internet, you know.
    The UK TeX archive distributes emTeX on floppies - but before you
    ask, please don't abuse this service. Its intended for people with
    no electronic connections at all. Anyone reading this can almost
    certainly get it without causing staff at Aston (who, like ymir,
    do it for nothing) a lot of grief with floppy thingies

sebastian
--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

doug@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Douglas W O'neal) (02/01/91)

In article <29734@usc> ajayshah@almaak.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:

>It seems the only copy of the most-recent EmTeX distribution (minus
>fonts) in the civilised world is to be found at
>ymir.claremont.edu which is a non-unix ftp server!
>
>Imagine: you can cd into a directory but not cd .. out of it!!
>It's pretty buggy, too, it hung up on me serveral times.

What are you talking about.  I have no problems
GRINCH> ftp ymir.claremont.edu
%FTP-I-ATTEMPTING, Attempting to connect to host YMIR.CLAREMONT.EDU
220 YMIR.CLAREMONT.EDU MultiNet FTP Server Process 2.2(11) at Fri 1-Feb-91 6:01A
M-PST
FTP> user anonymous
331 anonymous user ok. Send real ident as password.
Password:
230-Guest User DOUG logged into LOCAL:[ANONYMOUS] at Fri  1-Feb-91 06:01, job 24
400aa1.
230 Directory and access restrictions apply
FTP> cd tex
250 Connected to LOCAL:[ANONYMOUS.TEX].
FTP> cd ..
250 Connected to LOCAL:[ANONYMOUS].

>Administrators of ymir.claremont.edu: if you're listening:
>consider moving your machine to Unix!  Only 9 years left to catch
>up with the twentieth century; you can still dump OS/2!!
In case you haven't checked, ymir is a microvax II running VMS.  VMS is
not OS/2.

>Administrators of terminator.cc.umich.edu: if you're listening:
>couldya please get the latest EmTeX!?
>
>--
>Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
>                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.

Doug O'Neal, Distributed Systems Programmer, Johns Hopkins University
doug@jhuvms.bitnet, doug@jhuvms.hcf.jhu.edu, mimsy!aplcen!jhunix!doug
Like many of the features of UNIX, UUCP appears theoretically
unworkable... - DEC Professional, April 1990