[comp.text.tex] LaTeX Page Footings?

knish@hpcllld.cup.hp.com (Doreen Kawanishi) (01/30/91)

I would like to know how to set and use page footings (i.e. text to appear
on the bottom of each page) in LaTeX.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

Doreen

wjw@ebs.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (01/31/91)

In article <73140001@hpcllld.cup.hp.com> knish@hpcllld.cup.hp.com (Doreen Kawanishi) writes:
>I would like to know how to set and use page footings (i.e. text to appear
>on the bottom of each page) in LaTeX.
>
>Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!
>
>Doreen

I've been using the following style for many of years.

Willem Jan.

NOTE: There'll be a signature on the end of the message !!!
------------------- snip snip -------------------------
% Three part head and foot macros. 1/87
% Lance Berc
% Olsen & Associates    mcvax!unizh!olsen!lance@seismo.css.gov
% Seefeldstrasse 233
% CH-8008 Zurich

% How users can set the head and foot text.
\def\lhead#1{\gdef\@lhead{#1}} \def\lfoot#1{\gdef\@lfoot{#1}}
\def\chead#1{\gdef\@chead{#1}} \def\cfoot#1{\gdef\@cfoot{#1}}
\def\rhead#1{\gdef\@rhead{#1}} \def\rfoot#1{\gdef\@rfoot{#1}}

% Initialization of the head and foot text.
% By default the page number is at the center of the foot and everything
% else is empty.
\def\@lhead{} \def\@lfoot{}
\def\@chead{} \def\@cfoot{{\rm \thepage}}
\def\@rhead{} \def\@rfoot{}

% Put together a three part header or footer given the left, center and
% right text. The \lap commands put the text into an hbox of zero size,
% so overlapping text is not detected (it just overlaps).
\def\@threepart#1#2#3{\rlap{#1} \hfil {#2} \hfil \llap{#3}}

% Swap the notices on odd and even pages when twosided.
\def\ps@threepartheadings
    {
    \def\@oddhead{\@threepart{\@lhead}{\@chead}{\@rhead}}
    \def\@oddfoot{\@threepart{\@lfoot}{\@cfoot}{\@rfoot}}

    \if@twoside
    \def\@evenhead{\@threepart{\@rhead}{\@chead}{\@lhead}}
    \def\@evenfoot{\@threepart{\@rfoot}{\@cfoot}{\@lfoot}}
    \else
    \def\@evenhead{\@threepart{\@lhead}{\@chead}{\@rhead}}
    \def\@evenfoot{\@threepart{\@lfoot}{\@cfoot}{\@rfoot}}
    \fi
    }

% Default page style
\ps@threepartheadings
Eindhoven University of Technology   DomainName:  wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl
Digital Systems Group, Room EH 10.10
P.O. 513                             Tel: +31-40-473401
5600 MB Eindhoven                    The Netherlands

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (02/04/91)

DK> I would like to know how to set and use page footings (i.e. text to appear
DK> on the bottom of each page) in LaTeX.

My 'fancyheadings' style gives you the most flexibility for headers and
footers that is available in a single package. Three part headers and
footers, underlines and multiline headers/footers, to name the most
important.

How to get fancyheadings.doc and fancyheadings.sty from the archive at
	Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University:

NOTE: In the following I have assumed your mail address is john@highbrow.edu.

    Of course you must substitute your own address for this. This should be
    a valid internet or uucp address. For bitnet users name@host.BITNET
    usually works.

by FTP: (please restrict access to weekends or evening/night (i.e. between
about 20.00 and 0900 UTC).

    ftp archive.cs.ruu.nl [131.211.80.5]
    user name: anonymous or ftp
    password: your own email address (e.g. john@highbrow.edu)
    cd /pub
    don't forget to set binary mode if the file is a tar/arc/zoo archive,
    compressed or in any other way contains binary data.
    get TEX/latexstyle/fancyheadings.doc
    get TEX/latexstyle/fancyheadings.sty

by mail-server:

send the following message to
mail-server@cs.ruu.nl (or uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ruuinf!mail-server):

    begin
    path john@highbrow.edu (PLEASE SUBSTITUTE *YOUR* ADDRESS)
    send TEX/latexstyle/fancyheadings.doc
    send TEX/latexstyle/fancyheadings.sty
    end

NOTE: *** PLEASE USE VALID INTERNET ADDRESSES IF POSSIBLE. DO NOT USE
ADDRESSES WITH ! and @ MIXED !!!! BITNETTERS USE USER@HOST.BITNET ***

The path command can be deleted if we receive a valid from address in your
message. If this is the first time you use our mail server, we suggest you
first issue the request:
    send HELP
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.