[comp.text.tex] PostScript fonts to metafont

ilh@winnie-the-pooh.mit.edu (I. Lee Hetherington) (02/05/91)

I've heard rumors about a program to convert metafonts to PostScript.  Anyone
hear of a program to do the opposite: PostScript (Adobe Type-1) to Metafont?

I have a homemade PostScript font I'm interested in converting to Metafont.
I realize that I won't get nice parameterizable Metafont programs, but I'd just
like to generate some bitmaps for use with previewers.

Anyone know of any PostScript (type-1) bitmap generators that run under Unix
and are public domain?  This would be more direct.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Lee Hetherington
MIT Spoken Language Systems Group..........It's not easy to wreck a nice beach!

robinson@prism.gatech.EDU (Stephen M. Robinson) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb4.192259.11223@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> ilh@winnie-the-pooh.mit.edu (I. Lee Hetherington) writes:
>I've heard rumors about a program to convert metafonts to PostScript.  Anyone
>hear of a program to do the opposite: PostScript (Adobe Type-1) to Metafont?

>like to generate some bitmaps for use with previewers.

This is what I would like to do as well. Note: this is *not* asking how to use
PS fonts with Latex as described in the FAQ file, but rather how to get
descriptions of those fonts usable in previewers (in my case, with a Symbolics
previewer). Please post answers as this type of question has been asked before.

--
Stephen M. Robinson, AI Group, College of Computing  404-853-9381
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30332-0280

tim@cstr.ed.ac.uk (Tim Bradshaw) (02/05/91)

> This is what I would like to do as well. Note: this is *not* asking
> how to use PS fonts with Latex as described in the FAQ file, but
> rather how to get descriptions of those fonts usable in previewers
> (in my case, with a Symbolics previewer). Please post answers as
> this type of question has been asked before.

Isn't this what a PostScript interpreter does?  I don't speak
PostScript, but surely one should be able to send the outline font to
it and get the bitmaps back, since this is pretty much what PostScript
does for its living.

In fact, many years ago I remember hearing of a program for
Macintoshes which generated screen fonts at interesting sizes by this
method.

--tim
Tim Bradshaw.  Internet: tim%ed.cstr@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
UUCP: ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!cstr!tim  JANET: tim@uk.ac.ed.cstr
"...wizzards & inchanters..."

jg@prg.ox.ac.uk (Jeremy Gibbons) (02/05/91)

ilh@winnie-the-pooh.mit.edu (I. Lee Hetherington) writes

> I've heard rumors about a program to convert metafonts to PostScript.  Anyone
> hear of a program to do the opposite: PostScript (Adobe Type-1) to Metafont?

You could implement PostScript in Metafont, without (I imagine) too much
difficulty. Define a macro `postscript' that takes in loads of text and stuffs
onto an internal stack. A final year project for some CS student?

|  Jeremy Gibbons (jg@uk.ac.oxford.prg)   Funky Monkey Multimedia Corp  |