[comp.text.tex] proof trees in LaTeX

stiller@cs.jhu.edu (Lewis Stiller) (02/06/91)

I need to format type deduction trees in \lambda - calculus.

They look sort of like this:

 first     second                                third fourth
------------------                              ---------------
   oner   twoer                          hello     there
--------------------------       ---------------------------
      conc                                jfjfjfjfj
                     done

Each string is usually replaced by some fairly long expression
consisting mainly of greek symbols, with a few sans-serif and
math symbols thrown in, and also English comments.

Are there nice macros out there for handling this?

lewis

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (02/06/91)

In article <stiller.665774110@newton.cs.jhu.edu>, stiller@cs (Lewis Stiller) writes:
>I need to format type deduction trees in \lambda - calculus.
>Are there nice macros out there for handling this?

There are several, actually.  You get to pays your money and takes your
choice.  Unfortunately, most of them were just posted to comp.text.tex
without having been uploaded to any archive site, so you'll have to
email the author directly for a copy.  (Which means that all these
people have essentially reinvented the wheel.)

The following entries are taken verbatim from the monthly `Supplementary
TeX Information' article.  The full text of the Supplement can be ftp'd
from math.princeton.edu:pub/rjc/misc/tex.supplement.Z.

chomsky.sty     TeXhax issue #54

    For drawing hierarchical tree diagrams.

nodeedge.sty    sun.soe.clarkson.edu    by Hideki Isozaki (isozaki@csli.Stanford.EDU)
                                        pub/tex/latex-style/nodeedge.shar

    For drawing hierarchical tree diagrams.

tree macros     (posted to comp.text.tex)
                                        by hwb@texnix.stgt.sub.org

TreeTeX         ?                       by Univ. Waterloo

    For drawing hierarchical trees.

proof.sty       (posted to comp.text.tex)
                                        by tatsuta@sato.riec.tohoku.ac.jp

    For proofs in Mathematical Logic.  the things that look like  A B
                                                                  ---

raymond@math.berkeley.edu, maintainer of the Supplementary TeX Information file