[net.space] bring back the satellites

DMS%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA (02/08/84)

From:  David Siegel <DMS%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>

The two satellites have a small supply of fuel. They say there is not
enough fuel to get them to geosyncronous orbit, but I bet they have
enough to get them in an ideal orbit for the shuttle to grab them.
Even though no special hook to attach on to was designed into the
satellites, I would guess they could find something to grab.  So, why
not plan a mission to bring them back?

DMS%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA (02/10/84)

From:  David Siegel <DMS%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>

Date: Thursday, 9 February 1984  21:06-EST
From: Robert Elton Maas <REM at MIT-MC>
To:   DMS
Re:   bring back the satellites

I suggest making a grappling adaptor. On one end it has a clamp that
will grab ahold of some random part of the satellite. On the other end
it has a standard adaptor like the solar max mission has, for the
shuttle to hook onto. So the astronaut with backpack just docks with
the satellite and attaches the grappling adaptor, then despins the
satellite and proceeds with the usual procedure.