[comp.text.tex] xdvi using gray scale?

tml@tik.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) (02/09/91)

Has anybody modified xdvi to use grayscale (on displays that support
it) for "partially filled" pixels?  Would this make 10 pt shrink4 text
easier to read?
--
Tor Lillqvist,
working, but not speaking, for the Technical Research Centre of Finland

vojta@powdermilk.berkeley.edu (Paul Vojta) (02/09/91)

In article <TML.91Feb8131900@nyyti.tik.vtt.fi> tml@tik.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) writes:
>Has anybody modified xdvi to use grayscale (on displays that support
>it) for "partially filled" pixels?  Would this make 10 pt shrink4 text
>easier to read?

To my knowledge, nobody has modified xdvi as you described.  I understand,
though, that dvipage does this.  I hear that it is quite attractive, although
I myself have not seen it.

With xdvi, why not use shrink3, and use the margin feature?

--Paul Vojta, vojta@math.berkeley.edu