[comp.text.tex] Summary of alternating 1- and 2-column text responses

rose@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Dan Rose) (02/09/91)

A few weeks ago I posted a question about alternating one- and
two- column text repeatedly on a page using LaTeX:

>I'm trying to format a document with multiple text "blurbs,"
>each two-column, stacked above each other.  In other words,
>I want it to look like this:
>
>			First Centered Title
>
>	Beginning of text of first	it continues over here.
>	blurb.  This is formatted	This is the end of the
>	in two-columns, but note how	first blurb.
>
>			Second Centered Title
>
>	This is the beginning of the	tinues in the second
>	text of the second blurb.	column.
>	Again, notice that it con-

I received several responses.  Basically there were two answers.
One is to use the \minipage environment described in Lamport's LaTeX
book.  The other is to use the multicol style written by Frank
Mittelbach.  This allows entering a multiple column environment
with \multicols{n}, where n is the desired number of columns, and
exiting the environment with \endmulticols.

I have so far been unsuccessful in getting minipage
to do what I want; it allows switching back and forth from one to
two columns without generating a new page, but it doesn't put any
text in the right-hand column.

I have managed to get the multicol style to work, but I have had
to put page breaks in manually, since it doesn't support floats.

Thanks to all who replied:

		Laszlo C Balint (lba@kolvi.hut.fi)
		Peter Beckmann (peterb@cernvax.cern.ch)
		Tony Mullins (jamull@che.utexas.edu)
		Arthur Ogawa (ogawa@orion.arc.nasa.gov)
		Olivier Plaut (plaut@sc2a.unige.ch)
Dan Rose
UCSD
--
Dan Rose		{ucbvax,decvax,akgua,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!beowulf!rose.uucp
UC San Diego		rose%cs@ucsd.edu

cheung@mathcs.emory.edu (Shun Yan Cheung) (02/10/91)

In article <16469@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> rose@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Dan Rose) writes:
'
'book.  The other is to use the multicol style written by Frank
'Mittelbach.  This allows entering a multiple column environment
'with \multicols{n}, where n is the desired number of columns, and
'exiting the environment with \endmulticols.

Anyone konw the ftp cite for the macros by Frank ?
--
Shun Yan Cheung     |  cheung@mathcs.emory.edu                  Internet
Emory University    |  cheung@emory.bitnet			BITNET

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (02/11/91)

In article <16469@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> rose@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Dan Rose) writes:

   I have managed to get the multicol style to work, but I have had
   to put page breaks in manually, since it doesn't support floats.

multicol does support floats, but only ones for the full width of the
page (ie figure* and table*); this is often acceptable.

sebastian

--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)