[comp.text.tex] TeXhax Digest V91 #007

TeXhax@CS.WASHINGTON.EDU (TeXhax Digest) (02/12/91)

TeXhax Digest    Sunday,  February 10, 1991  Volume 91 : Issue 007

Moderators: Tiina Modisett and Pierre MacKay

%%% The TeXhax digest is brought to you as a service of the TeX Users Group %%%
%%%       in cooperation with the UnixTeX distribution service at the       %%%
%%%                      University of Washington                           %%%

Today's Topics:

            My mistake in making/modifying mf mode_def's, and more
                                Asking TeX
                              newequation.sty
                               fonts, 600dpi
               Arabic or Persian (Farsi) Fonts for Tex/Latex
             Looking for Textset Inc.... found ArborText Inc.
                       Dvi driver guidelines wanted
                        RE: Naming of non-CM Fonts
                       Raising PCTeX's memory limits
                            Trans/Fig patches
                       Re: TeXhax Digest V91 #005
             Request: Question/Answers Style File for LaTeX
                \count 1 used for LaTeX section counter
                        Font naming conventions

Date: Thu, 31 Jan 91 22:37:53 EST
From: ROCKY@IBM.COM
Subject: My mistake in making/modifying mf mode_def's, and more

In TeXhax Volume 91 #001, a couple of minor corrections
that should be made. First, in the mode IBMD that was given, the
blacker value should have been .3 (not 0) and the fillin value should
have been .4 (not .3).

For the typewriter fonts, and slanted/italic fonts (cmtt's cmsl's and
cmit's) a blacker of 0 does however make the M's and W's more legible.
There is a concern that the weight of this font does not match the
others however.

The second correction is that because of preloaded formats and whatnot,
it is probably not safe to assume that if fontmaking (or any other
parameter) is unknown that it was set by the user as a MetaFont
argument.

The corrected mode_def appears at the end of this note along with
another that I have found useful for most IBM 4216 printers with the
Ricoh print engine.  (I am told that IBM originally used a Canon print
engine and then at some point switched to the Ricoh engine.  I have
also been told that Ricoh has on occasion change the print engines
that they give IBM, for example in order to cut their costs.)

Speaking of mode_def files, I want to mention another modification
that I have found very useful. In the University of Washington's
Unix TeX distribution, the file U_Wash.mf has some useful
code written by Pierre MacKay:

def font_mode_specials =
 p_p_i=pixels_per_inch/mag;
 if fontmaking > 0:
 begingroup; save d,s,p; save pixels_per_inch;
  string p;
  pixels_per_inch:=p_p_i;
  special jobname;
  mode_special(mag);
  if string mode: p:=mode;
  else: p:=substring(0,length(mode_name[mode])-1) of mode_name[mode]; fi
  special "mode:="&p&";";
  mode_special(pixels_per_inch);
  mode_special(blacker);
  mode_special(fillin);
  mode_special(o_correction);
 endgroup;
 fi
enddef;

The above puts the mode_def name, blacker, fillin
o_correction, and pixles_per_inch into the gf file output
(and thus into any resulting pk file). This information however
does not appear in the pxl format. It would be nice if repositories
of gf and pk fonts ensure that such information is in pk and gf files.
Font files get copied about and there is no widespread convention
to put the mode information into say the path name. (Although around
here, we do put the exact mode name into the font path, e.g.
...tex/fonts/RicohA/cmr10.300pk).

Another place where this information in the pk file is helpful is in
figuring out how to regenerate the font.  For example if one decides
to use a different blacker or fillin.  One can do the arithmetic
(assuming you know the pixels_per_inch value), but due to rounding,
you can still only get approximate values for the magnification.

Finally, for people who have asked (such as someone on comp.text.tex)
how to decide on the blacker, fillin, and o_correction values. I pass
my observations.

For very high resolution devices, such as Autologic's 1016 dot-per-inch
APS6 phototypesetter, the values for blacker, fillin, and o_correction
don't matter all that much, so long as the values are within their normal
ranges, between 0-1 for all values, with the values in the limit for
and infinite-resolution device being 0, 0, and 1 respectively.

For low resolution devices, the procedure I use is to set the blacker
and o_correction to 0 and decide on a fillin value by looking at the
diagonal of a lowercase `z' in the typewriter font. The diagonal should
be the same thickness as the horizontal bars of the `z'. Then I decide
on the blacker value. I don't have a good heuristic for this, I generally
look at the smaller fonts to make sure that there isn't too much filling
in.  Finally, I then set the o_correction.

R. Bernstein
IBM Research

% Corrected mode_def for IBM's 38xx printers
% IBM3825's 27's and 35's have some sort of corner imaging.
%
% Thanks to Jim Hafner (hafner@ibm.com) for experimenting with blacker.
%
mode_def IBMD =             % IBM mode for the IBM38xx's ``advanced function''
 pixels_per_inch:=240;          % printers
 if unknown fontmaking_set:     % Unless told otherwise,
   fontmaking_set:=
   fontmaking:=1;               %   output TFM
   fi
 if unknown tracingtitles_set:  % Unless told otherwise,
   tracingtitles_set:=
   tracingtitles:=0;            %   don't show titles in the log
   fi
 if unknown proofing_set:       % Unless told otherwise
   proofing_set:=
   proofing:=0;                 % we're not making proofs
   fi
 if unknown blacker_set:    % Set this value unless it has been set previously
   blacker_set:=
   blacker:=.3;             % On cmtt8 a's are already starting to fill in,
   fi                       % so no more blacker.
 if unknown fillin_set:
   fillin_set:=
   fillin:=.4;            % This value can be checked on cmtt10's k's and z's--
   fi                     % check the diagonal/horizontal ratio on these.
 if unknown o_correction_set:
   o_correction_set:=
   o_correction:=.75;     % I don't believe even a value of 1 is that bad.
   fi
 enddef; % IBMD

% Ricoh setup for some of the IBM 4216's (and the TI Omnilaser?)
% For the TI Omnilaser, see Stan Osborne's values TUGboat 8,2,134.
% The mode seems to be a better one to use for with xdvi and
% IBM's megapel displays than the CanonCX (or imagen) mode.
mode_def RicohA =
 let font_setup=white_setup;    % use the write-white font_setup
 pixels_per_inch:=300;          % Ricoh write-white engine.
 if unknown fontmaking_set:     % Unless told otherwise,
   fontmaking_set:=
   fontmaking:=1;               %   output TFM
   fi
 if unknown tracingtitles_set:  % Unless told otherwise,
   tracingtitles_set:=
   tracingtitles:=0;            %   don't show titles in the log
   fi
 if unknown proofing_set:       % Unless told otherwise
   proofing_set:=
   proofing:=0;                 % we're not making proofs
   fi
 if unknown blacker_set:    % Set this value unless it has been set previously
   blacker_set:=
   blacker:=.2;             % Don't overblack the small fonts such
                            % such as cmtt8's e's
   fi                       % so no more blacker.
 if unknown fillin_set:
   fillin_set:=
   fillin:=0.0;                 % No compensation for diagonal fillin
                                % this value can be verified by looking at
                                % cmtt's z's and checking (without any
                                % blacker which just obfuscates) and checking
                                % that the diagonal is the same as the
                                % horizontal. One might even put in some
                                % reverse or negative compensation
   fi
 if unknown o_correction_set:
   o_correction_set:=
   o_correction:=.75;           % Overshoot for O's, G's and A's
                                % The usual 300 dpi value of .6 is probably
                                % okay too.
   fi
 enddef; % RicohA

Date:     Thu, 31 Jan 91 12:13:02 PST
From: JSLee <jslee@nrtc.northrop.com>
Subject:  Asking TeX

Is there a way I can ask it how many characters have been processed?

Suppose input.tex is a 7000 character file, and I want to stop input
after the first 5000.

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 11:23:07 EST
From: clayton@thumper.bellcore.com (R. Clayton)
Subject: newequation.sty

This option doesn't follow the latex convention of defining with one
command and redefining with another; \newequation will redefine an
existing equation environment.

% newequation.sty
%
% 12 Jan 91  Created.
%            clayton@thumper.bellcore.com
%
% newequation.sty defines the \newequation command, which defines
% new equation environments.  The command format is
%
%    \newequation{name}{format}
%
% where "name" is the name of the new equation environment and "format"
% is the format of the equation number.  For example,
%
%    \newequation{define}{(D\arabic{define})}
%
% The new environment follows Latex's numbered sections convention:
% there's a counter called "name" and a command called \the"name" with
% "format" as its initial definition.  See section 5.3 in the Latex
% user's guide for more on numbering.

\def \newequation#1#2{
   \@definecounter{#1}
   \@namedef{the#1}{\hbox{#2}}
   \@namedef{#1}{$$\refstepcounter{#1}}
   \@namedef{end#1}{
      \eqno \csname the#1\endcsname $$\global\@ignoretrue
      }
   }

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 16:18:04 GMT
From: Carlos Lourenco <CARLOS%UXLIPL.LIP.RCCN.PT@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: fonts, 600dpi

I am trying to get some pages printed in rather good quality
so that they could be photographed and the photos be used to
generate a lot of copies.
I am using a Laser printer LN03+ connected to a VAX and the
fonts I am using (I believe) are 300dpi.
I have access to a 600dpi Laser printer connected to an IBM
compatible.
I thought of two solutions (far from being a TeXnician):
1) Use \magnification=\magstep1 or \magstep2 and then reduce
back to the normal size at the photographical stage.
I have tryed it but it doesn't work since I don't have all the
required "magnified" fonts.
2) Use the 600dpi laser printer. To do that I would need to have
600dpi fonts and a "dvito600dpi_laser_printer". Are there such
things? Where?

I guess its very likely that I am missing some important point.
Anyway, before I give up hope, is there any body out there that
can help (or teach) me?

Thanks.
Carlos

e-mail address: CARLOS@UXLIPL.LIP.RCCN.PT

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 10:53:11 MEZ
From: Hooshang Mehrjerdian <UZR118%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Arabic or Persian (Farsi) Fonts for Tex/Latex

Hello there.

 I am working on the implementation of an English-Persian (Farsi) Translator
 for scientific texts and looking for Persian/Arabic fonts, to be able to
 print my doctoral thesis with Tex.
 Would you please let me know if there is any Arabic/Persian fonts available
 for Tex or Latex? Any other information related to this subject will be more
 appreciated.

 Thanks in advance,

 Hooshang Mehrjerdian
 Roeckumstr. 132
 D-5300 Bonn 1, Germany

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 12:56:54 EST
From: aed%arbortext@arbortext.com (Andrew Dobrowolski)
Subject: Looking for Textset Inc.... found ArborText Inc.

Some time ago Textset Inc. changed its name to ArborText Inc.
Our address and other particulars follow.  Write

  535 W. William St.
  Suite 300,
  Ann Arbor, MI 48103
  U.S.A

or phone

  (313) 996-3566

or fax

  (313) 996-3573

For product support you may also send email to

  help@arbortext.com

on internet.

Andrew Dobrowolski,
ArborTeXt Inc.

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 20:40:49 MET
From: Bo Thide' <bt@irfu.se>
Subject: Dvi driver guidelines wanted

I am about to improve our generic HP LaserJet dvi driver to full PCL4 (and
possibly PCL5) support.  As far as I understand there exists some kind of
committee who has produced guidelines on how to standardize dvi drivers.
Since I am pretty sure our present driver is not compliant with this
standard I would appreciate any documents, templates etc to help me not
making the driver incompatible with others.

Our present driver can handle PCL pictures, preloaded fonts, and very
large fonts and seems to do a decent job on HP LaserJet+, LaserJet II, and
LaserJet IIP printers.

Bo

   ^   Bo Thide'--------------------------------------------------------------
 /|F|\          INTERNET: bt@irfu.se      UUCP: ...!mcvax!sunic!irfu!bt
 ~~U~~ -----------------------------------------------------------------sm5dfw

Date: 6 Feb 91 17:11:00 PDT
From: "JohnM" <johnm@afsc-bmo.af.mil>
Subject: RE: Naming of non-CM Fonts

What Teresa Ehling suggests is very good. We have been collecting non-CM
fonts, including converted HP Softfonts (via HP2TeX), and have been
wrestling with some of the same issues as Teresa raises.

Just to add another wrinkle, how would you handle the {\em same} font
from different sources, i.e. Courier 10 point (COM10)? Without growing
the fontname past 6 characters, it could be tough. I propose the use
of two additional [optional] characters indicating the source of the
font (so COM10 from LTI would become COM10LT, COM10 from HP would be
named COM10HP, and so forth). Moderating the list of vendors would, of
course, be a nightmare, but at least my Courier BoldOblique 10 point
font (COBO10JM) could be distinguished from R J Drofnats' Courier
BoldOblique 10 point (COBO10RJ).

And, of course, those users who cannot handle 8 character fontnames would
still have the problem.

The format for font filenames would then become:

 2-3 char       0-2 char        1-2 char     0-2 char

John Mulhollen
TRW Defense Systems Group
johnm@afsc-bmo.af.mil

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 91 13:22:46 EST
From: Doug Ravenel <drav@uhura.cc.rochester.edu>
Subject: Raising PCTeX's memory limits

How can I raise PCTeX's limit of 2500 multiletter control sequences to
3000 or more?

Douglas C. Ravenel			drav@troi.cc.rochester.edu
Department of Mathematics
University of Rochester

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 91 09:44:41 -0500
From: beck@cs.cornell.edu (Micah Beck)
Subject:  Trans/Fig patches

Patchlevel 2 of the Fig 2.1.1 Sunview graphics editor and patchlevel 1
of TransFig 2.1.1 are available for FTP from svax.cs.cornell.edu, or
by mail archive server from sun.soe.clarkson.edu.  They are in

        ~ftp/pub/transfig/fig-2.1.1-pl1
                          fig-2.1.1-pl2
                          transfig-2.1.1-pl1

Micah Beck
Dept. of Computer Sci.
Cornell Univ.

Date: Mon, 04 Feb 91 09:48:04 PLT
From: Dean Guenther <GUENTHER@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU>
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V91 #005

> Is there a difference in the hyphenation rules for TeX 3.0?
>
> Thomas Petsche
> petsche@leaning.siemens.com

I had the same problem, and either Joachim Lammarsch or Peter Breitenlohner
(I can't remember who gets the credit) pointed out that I needed to change
plain.tex too. Add

      \lefthyphenmin=2 \righthyphenmin=3 % disallow x- or -xx breaks

Just prior to:

      \input hyphen

and that ought to take care of the problem. -- Dean

Date: Tue, 05 Feb 91 11:55:43 EST
From: Tom Prusa <TPRUSA@ccvm.sunysb.edu>
Subject: Request: Question/Answers Style File for LaTeX

Hello,
      Has anyone written a LaTeX style file for writing
problems sets.  For example, a file that gives a LaTeX
version of Knuth's exercise macros (from TeXbook) or
that plain TeX example in the latest TUGboat?
      A desirable file might allow automatic question
numbering and allow answers to be handled like endnotes.

            thanks, tom

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 91 05:24:50 PST
From: Donald_Arseneau@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: \count 1 used for LaTeX section counter

Dave Steiner asked why the following didn't work:

 \def\section{\expandafter\count1\expandafter\c@section\oldsection}

The use of \expandafter is incorrect (there would have to be
one between \count and 1 to get \oldsection expanded first),
but the \expandafter's are completely superfluous: they only
cause \oldsection to be expanded, they do not force the counters
to be incremented (assignments are not "expandable").  Therefore,
I don't see how this can work at all--the number in \count1 will
always lag 1 behind the true section number.

The simple way to achieve the same effect is to REASSIGN \c@section
to use counter 1:

     \countdef\c@section=1

That's it.

Unfortunately, when a \section command appears near the bottom
of a page, the counter will be incremented before the page break
is detected, even if the section heading is carried over to the
really starts at the top of page 10.

The only way I can see to make everything right is to use "marks"
(which LaTeX already inserts) to set \count1 in a modified output
routine...but it is far beyond me to start tinkering with LaTeX's
output routine.

Donald Arseneau         Arseneau@mtsg.ubc.ca
                        asnd@triumfcl (.bitnet)

Date: Mon, 4 Feb 91 14:03:38 -0500
From: spooky!witr@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Font naming conventions

In TeXhax Digest V91 #005 "Teresa A. Ehling" submits a ``RECOMMENDATION
FOR THE NAMING of NON-CM FONTS USED IN TeX''.  This scheme is
primarily based on the notion that

>A sequence of six or fewer ordinary letters and/or digits
>followed by a space should be a file name that works in
>essentially the same way on all installations of TeX...."

While this is certainly one way to attack the problem, I feel that it
is a poorly engineered one, in that it is forever tied to the
technology of n-character file names (with n equal to six or eight).
I think a far better solution would be to use the font naming scheme
developed by the X-Windows software (or something like it) and to
correct the TeX software to work with font names of this type.  This
has at least four important advantages, namely: 1) The font names are
un-ambiguous and complete, 2) the solution is technology-independent,
as it does not rely on any particular length of file-names, and 3) It
provides a path for the convergence of the screen and paper
representation of fonts, and 4) it makes for easier font matching and
substitution.

For those who may not be familiar with the X-Windows representation of
fontnames, here is an example:

``-Adobe-Times Roman-Bold-I-Normal--14-300-300-300-P-231-ISO8859-1''

Which means, Foundry=Adobe, Family=Times Roman, Weight=Bold,
Slant=Italic, Width=Normal (instead of Condensed, for example),
Style=<nothing> (could be Serif or the like), Pointsize=14Pt,
Pixelsize=300dpi (although I would prefer an SI measure),
Horizontalresolution = 300dpi, Verticalresolution=300dpi,
Spacing=proportional, Averagewidth=23.1 pixels, Charset encoding
registry=ISO8859, charset encoding=1.

This name is then converted, via a dictionary, to the appropriate
filename.  Fields are allowed to contain the characters ``*'' and
``?'' which are wildcards.  An example would be:

``-*-Times-Bold-I-*--14-*-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-1''

Which would be asking for any 14pt Times bold italic font with the
proper characterset encoding.  This usage is not encouraged because,
of course, you might be surpriesd by the results.

 Robert Withrow, R.W. Withrow Associates, Swampscott MA 01907 USA
 Tel: +1 617 598 4480, Fax: +1 617 598 4430, Uucp: witr@rwwa.COM

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU          TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nnn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nnn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest