[comp.text.tex] concise reference manual?

tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) (02/07/91)

I have been using TeX and LaTeX on and off for a while now, and I would like
to become more of an expert, be able to write my own macro packages, etc.
I have been plowing through the TeX book, but practically everything in
it is a forward reference to something that has not been defined yet. It
gets kind of frustrating after a while...

Has anyone produced a document that simply lists all the TeX primitives in
alphabetical order and gives a brief description of them? Something like an
assembly reference manual for a computer (only for TeX instead)? It would
probably help if it included the plain TeX definitions as well.

I looked in the latest FAQ and couldn't find anything like this. If such a
beast exists in a book, please tell me the name of the book. If it exists
online, please tell me where I can get it via anonymous FTP. If it doesn't
exists at all, please tell me how much you would pay for one, and maybe I
will write a book myself :-).
domain: tahorsley@csd.harris.com       USMail: Tom Horsley
  uucp: ...!uunet!hcx1!tahorsley               511 Kingbird Circle
                                               Delray Beach, FL  33444
+==== Censorship is the only form of Obscenity ======================+
|     (Wait, I forgot government tobacco subsidies...)               |
+====================================================================+

jansteen@cwi.nl (Jan van der Steen) (02/08/91)

tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) writes:

>I have been using TeX and LaTeX on and off for a while now, and I would like
>to become more of an expert, be able to write my own macro packages, etc.
>I have been plowing through the TeX book, but practically everything in
>it is a forward reference to something that has not been defined yet. It
>gets kind of frustrating after a while...

>Has anyone produced a document that simply lists all the TeX primitives in
>alphabetical order and gives a brief description of them? Something like an
>assembly reference manual for a computer (only for TeX instead)? It would
>probably help if it included the plain TeX definitions as well.

>I looked in the latest FAQ and couldn't find anything like this. If such a
>beast exists in a book, please tell me the name of the book. If it exists
>online, please tell me where I can get it via anonymous FTP. If it doesn't
>exists at all, please tell me how much you would pay for one, and maybe I
>will write a book myself :-).

To give this effort a little help I included the (259) TeX primitives
and all string tokens in plain.tex which were not in ispell's
dictionary (658). This file should also be useful to people when added to
their private dictionary while spelling TeX documents.

-----------------------------
Primitives defined in TeX.web:
-----------------------------
abovedisplayshortskip
abovedisplayskip
abovewithdelims
adjdemerits
afterassignment
aftergroup
atopwithdelims
baselineskip
batchmode
begingroup
belowdisplayshortskip
belowdisplayskip
binoppenalty
botmark
boxmaxdepth
brokenpenalty
catcode
chardef
cleaders
closein
closeout
clubpenalty
countdef
cr
crcr
csname
deadcycles
def
defaulthyphenchar
defaultskewchar
delcode
delimiterfactor
delimitershortfall
dimen
dimendef
displayindent
displaylimits
displaystyle
displaywidowpenalty
displaywidth
doublehyphendemerits
dp
edef
emergencystretch
endcsname
endgroup
endinput
endlinechar
eqno
errhelp
errmessage
errorcontextlines
errorstopmode
escapechar
everycr
everydisplay
everyhbox
everyjob
everymath
everypar
everyvbox
exhyphenpenalty
expandafter
fam
fi
finalhyphendemerits
firstmark
floatingpenalty
fontdimen
fontname
futurelet
gdef
globaldefs
halign
hangafter
hangindent
hbadness
hbox
hfil
hfill
hfilneg
hfuzz
hoffset
holdinginserts
hrule
hsize
hskip
hss
ht
hyphenation
hyphenchar
hyphenpenalty
ifcase
ifcat
ifdim
ifeof
iffalse
ifhbox
ifhmode
ifinner
ifmmode
ifnum
ifodd
iftrue
ifvbox
ifvmode
ifvoid
ifx
ignorespaces
inputlineno
insertpenalties
interlinepenalty
jobname
lastbox
lastkern
lastpenalty
lastskip
lccode
lefthyphenmin
leftskip
leqno
linepenalty
lineskip
lineskiplimit
lowercase
mag
mathaccent
mathbin
mathchar
mathchardef
mathchoice
mathclose
mathcode
mathinner
mathop
mathopen
mathord
mathpunct
mathrel
mathsurround
maxdeadcycles
maxdepth
medmuskip
mkern
moveleft
moveright
mskip
muskip
muskipdef
newlinechar
noalign
noboundary
noexpand
noindent
nolimits
nonscript
nonstopmode
nulldelimiterspace
nullfont
openin
openout
outputpenalty
overfullrule
overline
overwithdelims
pagedepth
pagefilllstretch
pagefillstretch
pagefilstretch
pagegoal
pageshrink
pagestretch
pagetotal
parfillskip
parindent
parshape
parskip
postdisplaypenalty
predisplaypenalty
predisplaysize
pretolerance
prevdepth
prevgraf
relpenalty
righthyphenmin
rightskip
romannumeral
scriptfont
scriptscriptfont
scriptscriptstyle
scriptspace
scriptstyle
scrollmode
setbox
setlanguage
sfcode
shipout
showbox
showboxbreadth
showboxdepth
showlists
showthe
skewchar
skipdef
spacefactor
spaceskip
splitbotmark
splitfirstmark
splitmaxdepth
splittopskip
tabskip
textfont
textstyle
thickmuskip
thinmuskip
toks
toksdef
topmark
topskip
tracingcommands
tracinglostchars
tracingmacros
tracingonline
tracingoutput
tracingpages
tracingparagraphs
tracingrestores
tracingstats
uccode
uchyph
unhbox
unhcopy
unkern
unpenalty
unskip
unvbox
unvcopy
uppercase
vadjust
valign
vbadness
vbox
vcenter
vfil
vfill
vfilneg
vfuzz
voffset
vrule
vsize
vskip
vsplit
vss
vtop
wd
widowpenalty
xdef
xleaders
xspaceskip

-----------------------------
Tokens found in plain.tex:
-----------------------------
aa
abovedisplayshortskip
abovedisplayskip
adjdemerits
advancepageno
ae
afterassignment
aftergroup
alloc
allocationnumber
allowbreak
amalg
approx
arg
arrowvert
ast
asymp
atopwithdelims
baselineskip
bb
bbox
begingroup
beginsection
belowdisplayshortskip
belowdisplayskip
bf
bffam
bgroup
bigbreak
bigcap
bigcirc
bigcup
bigg
biggl
biggm
biggr
bigl
bigm
bigodot
bigoplus
bigotimes
bigr
bigskip
bigskipamount
bigsqcup
bigtriangledown
bigtriangleup
biguplus
bigvee
bigwedge
binoppenalty
bmod
bordermatrix
bot
bowtie
boxdef
boxmaxdepth
braceld
bracelu
bracerd
braceru
bracevert
brack
brokenpenalty
buildrel
catcode
catcoded
catcodes
cclv
cclvi
cdot
cdotp
cdots
ch
chardef
circ
ck
cleaders
cleartabs
clubpenalty
clubsuit
cmbsy
cmbx
cmcsc
cmdunh
cmex
cmmi
cmmib
cmr
cmsl
cmsltt
cmss
cmssbx
cmssi
cmssq
cmssqi
cmsy
cmti
cmtt
cmu
cong
coprod
coth
countdef
cr
crcr
crfalse
crtrue
csc
csname
dag
dashv
ddag
ddagger
ddot
ddots
def
defaulthyphenchar
defaultskewchar
deg
delcode
delcodes
delimiterfactor
delimitershortfall
det
diamondsuit
dimen
dimendef
displ
displayindent
displaylines
displaystyle
displaywidowpenalty
displaywidth
div
dospecials
dosupereject
doteq
dotfill
dotless
doublehyphendemerits
downarrow
downbracefill
dp
dt
dunhill
edef
egroup
emptyset
emx
endcsname
endgraf
endgroup
endinsert
endline
endlinechar
enskip
enspace
eqalign
eqalignno
equiv
errmessage
errorcontextlines
errorstopmode
escapechar
everycr
ex
exhyphenpenalty
exp
expandafter
fam
fi
fil
filbreak
finalhyphendemerits
finph
finsm
fivebf
fivei
fiverm
fivesy
floatingpenalty
fmtname
fmtversion
fo
foo
foofalse
footins
footline
footnoterule
footrue
footstrut
forall
formfeed
frenchspacing
futurelet
gdef
gefalse
geq
getrue
gg
ggedbottom
ggedbottomfalse
ggedbottomtrue
globaldefs
goodbreak
halign
hangafter
hangindent
hbadness
hbar
hbox
heartsuit
hfil
hfill
hfuzz
hgl
hglue
hideskip
hidewidth
hoffset
holdinginserts
hom
hookleftarrow
hookrightarrow
hphantom
hrule
hrulefill
hsize
hskip
hss
ht
hyphenation
hyphenpenalty
ialign
ifcase
ifcat
ifdim
ifdt
iff
iffalse
iffoo
ifh
ifhmode
ifmmode
ifnum
ifp
ifr
iftrue
ifus
ifv
ifvoid
ifx
ignorespaces
im
imath
inf
info
infty
initex
ins
insc
insertpenalties
int
interdisplaylinepenalty
interfootnotelinepenalty
interlinepenalty
intop
itemitem
itfam
jmath
joinrel
ker
ketabbox
langle
lastbox
lastskip
lbrace
lbrack
lccode
lceil
ldot
ldotp
ldots
le
leavevmode
leftarrow
leftarrowfill
leftharpoondown
leftharpoonup
lefthyphenmin
leftline
leftrightarrow
leftskip
leq
leqalignno
lfloor
lg
lgroup
lhook
lign
lim
liminf
limsup
linefeed
linepenalty
lineskip
lineskiplimit
ll
llap
lmoustache
ln
lnot
logo
longleftarrow
longleftrightarrow
longmapsto
longrightarrow
lor
lowercase
lq
mag
magstep
magstephalf
makefootline
makeheadline
makeph
makesm
manfnt
mapsto
mapstochar
mathaccent
mathbin
mathchar
mathchardef
mathchoice
mathclose
mathcode
mathhexbox
mathinner
mathop
mathopen
mathord
mathpalette
mathph
mathrel
mathsm
mathstrut
mathsurround
maxdeadcycles
maxdepth
maxdimen
medbreak
medmuskip
medskip
medskipamount
metafont
midfalse
midinsert
midtrue
min
mkern
mm
mod
mp
mscount
mskip
muh
multispan
muskip
muskipdef
nabla
ncel
nearrow
neg
negthinspace
neq
newbox
newcount
newdimen
newfam
newhelp
newif
newinsert
newlanguage
newlinechar
newmuskip
newread
newskip
newtoks
newwrite
ni
ninerm
nlhyphen
noalign
nobreak
noexpand
noindent
nointerlineskip
nolimits
nonfrenchspacing
nopagenumbers
normalbaselines
normalbaselineskip
normalbottom
normallineskip
normallineskiplimit
nother
notin
nt
nulldelimiterspace
nwarrow
nxt
oalign
obeylines
obeyspaces
odot
oe
offinterlineskip
ointop
oldstyle
ominus
ooalign
openup
oplus
oslash
otimes
outputpenalty
overbrace
overfullrule
overleftarrow
overrightarrow
pagebody
pagecontents
pagegoal
pageinsert
pageno
pageshrink
pagetotal
parfillskip
parindent
parskip
penup
perp
pfalse
ph
plainoutput
pmatrix
pmod
postdisplaypenalty
pr
prec
preceq
predisplaypenalty
predisplaysize
preloaded
preloading
pretolerance
prevdepth
propto
pt
ptrue
qquad
raggedbottom
raggedright
rangle
rbrace
rbrack
rceil
relbar
relpenalty
removelastskip
renwd
rfloor
rgroup
rhook
rightarrow
rightarrowfill
rightharpoondown
rightharpoonup
righthyphenmin
rightleftharpoons
rightline
rightskip
rlap
rlh
rm
rmoustache
romannumeral
rootbox
rq
sb
scriptfont
scriptscriptfont
scriptscriptstyle
scriptspace
scriptstyle
searrow
setbox
setminus
sett
settabs
sevenbf
seveni
sevenrm
sevensy
sf
sfcode
sh
shipout
showboxbreadth
showboxdepth
showhyphens
sim
simeq
sixt
skewchar
skipdef
skippable
sl
slfam
smallbreak
smallint
smallskip
smallskipamount
sp
spacefactor
spaceskip
spadesuit
splitmaxdepth
splittopskip
sqcap
sqcup
sqrt
sqsubseteq
sqsupseteq
ss
strutbox
subpage
subseteq
succ
succeq
supereject
supset
supseteq
surd
swarrow
tabalign
tabsdone
tabskip
tabsyet
tcols
tenbf
tenex
teni
tenit
tenrm
tensl
tensy
tentt
tex
texbook
textfont
textindent
textstyle
thickmuskip
thinmuskip
thinspace
thr
toks
toksdef
topglue
topins
topinsert
topskip
tracingall
tracingcommands
tracinglostchars
tracingmacros
tracingonline
tracingoutput
tracingpages
tracingparagraphs
tracingrestores
tracingstats
triangleleft
triangleright
truein
tt
ttfam
ttraggedright
tw
uccode
uchyph
underbar
underbrace
unhbox
unhcopy
unskip
unslanted
unt
unvbox
unvcopy
uparrow
upbracefill
updownarrow
uplus
uppercase
varepsilon
varphi
varpi
varrho
varsigma
vartheta
vbadness
vbox
vcenter
vdash
vdots
vec
vereq
vert
vfil
vfill
vfilneg
vfootnote
vfuzz
vgl
vglue
voffset
voidb
vphantom
vrule
vsize
vskip
vss
vtop
wd
widehat
widetilde
widowpenalty
wlog
wp
wr
xspaceskip
xx
     Jan van der Steen                 jansteen@cwi.nl
     Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI)

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (02/08/91)

In article <TOM.91Feb7083913@hcx2.ssd.csd.harris.com> tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) writes:

   Has anyone produced a document that simply lists all the TeX primitives in
   alphabetical order and gives a brief description of them? Something like an
   assembly reference manual for a computer (only for TeX instead)? It would
   probably help if it included the plain TeX definitions as well.

Norbert Schwarz `Introduction to TeX', Addison Wesley 1990 (sorry for
mentioning it twice in a day, but I am writing a review of it :-}) has
an appendix listing all the plain TeX commands.

TUG sell a document which is a command summary for LaTeX - look at
their catalogue in a recent Tugboat

Sebastian
--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) (02/11/91)

I would like to thank the several people who sent me email directing me to
the book ``Tex for the Impatient''. I don't know how much help this book
would be to someone who is actually `Impatient' (:-), but the largest chunk
of the book is exactly the sort of reference I was looking for.

dhosek@linus.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (02/12/91)

In article <SPQR.91Feb8082345@manutius.ecs.soton.ac.uk>, spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) writes:
> In article <TOM.91Feb7083913@hcx2.ssd.csd.harris.com> tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) writes:
>
>    Has anyone produced a document that simply lists all the TeX primitives in
>    alphabetical order and gives a brief description of them? Something like an
>    assembly reference manual for a computer (only for TeX instead)? It would
>    probably help if it included the plain TeX definitions as well.
>
> Norbert Schwarz `Introduction to TeX', Addison Wesley 1990 (sorry for
> mentioning it twice in a day, but I am writing a review of it :-}) has
> an appendix listing all the plain TeX commands.
>
> TUG sell a document which is a command summary for LaTeX - look at
> their catalogue in a recent Tugboat

There is a KeyWord In Context index of TeX and LaTeX commands
that was done by Bill Cheswick at AT&T. I got mine free by
writing to AT&T for it (my collection of AT&T tech reports keeps
growing). The TUG office should be able to let you know how to
get it (and if they can't, tell them that I said that they should
find out).

TeX Users Group
P.O. Box 9506
Providence, RI 02940
tug@math.ams.com
401-751-7760

-dh

(and you really should think about becoming a TUG member.
Especially if you're outside of North America. The surcharge is
gone.)

-dh